Smaller rear sprocket

Ruko

I am running a case saver on the front so a 14 tooth is as big as I can fit but I've heard of people running a smaller back sprocket. My local parts guy can only get a 40 tooth rear which won't make much difference. I would like to go with a 38 or 39 at least. Does anyone know where to get some???

Oh by the way my banshee is an 01. I guess the older ones use a different rear sprocket hub.

• 3 weeks later...
i'm dropping my gearing down also for draging and woods riding. trying to decide if i should go 38 or 39 any suggestions? :shrugani:

369937[/snapback]

If you work it out one tooth on the rear sprocket doesn't make much diference. Going with 14/38, 2.71 ratio is about the same as 15/ 41, 2.73 ratio, so three on the rear is close to the same as one on the front. However I did see a post about someone who had a chain clearance problem with a 38 rear. I think it said the chain was hitting on the sprocket hub or the bolts or something. I haven't got mine yet so I don't know for sure.

i'm dropping my gearing down also for draging and woods riding. trying to decide if i should go 38 or 39 any suggestions? :shrugani:

369937[/snapback]

are you looking for more top end speed?

I run a 12 on front/42 out back it really dropped my top speed, I problly only get to around 60mph if that.., but it's awesome in the tight woods, as far as drag racing if it's a dirt track I launch in 3rd gear leaving me only 3 gear changes I it just barely starts to ping out in 6th gear in 300ft.

smaller up front= less top speed

bigger up front=more top speed

smaller in back =more top speed

bigger in back=less top speed

:bolt::bolt:

my case saver is the plastic one

i can run a 16 pretty easy,  a 17 i might have to do some sanding.

370819[/snapback]

I ground my saver and run a 17.......that case saver don't do a hell of alot when your running taller fronts anyway, to small in the rear and your chain will slap the swing arm pivot and whoever it was that said 3 in the rear is the same as 1 up front is right.......and for some strange reason the bike pulls harder with a 15/41 than it does with a 14/38 I have no idea why but I tried both combos and my bike pulls harder at about 6-8 grand with the larger front, maybe its like riding a 10 speed bike, the taller front makes more inertia, with the balls behind it to pedal, than does just dropping it onto the smallest rear sprocket although there the same ratio

If you work it out one tooth on the rear sprocket doesn't make much diference. Going with 14/38, 2.71 ratio is about the same as 15/ 41, 2.73 ratio, so three on the rear is close to the same as one on the front. However I did see a post about someone who had a chain clearance problem with a 38 rear. I think it said the chain was hitting on the sprocket hub or the bolts or something. I haven't got mine yet so I don't know for sure.

370264[/snapback]

However I did see a post about someone who had a chain clearance problem with a 38 rear. I think it said the chain was hitting on the sprocket hub or the bolts or something.

That was me....I ran a 15/41 for years and want to try 14/38 with the new pipes. If it pulled good enough for the trails I was going to go up to 16 and see what happens.I really have no idea what all you guys do to run a 38 or less in the rear with out having ware problems ...I ground the hub a bit,but after that I notice the lock tabs and nuts were worse off.Right now I have 15/41 and the front end stands up in 2nd and a hair in 3rd.I'm hoping the +2+1 arms I'm waiting on will help that. The only problem I have with the shee is a hesatation off idle and going through the gears.If I hold it 2000 RPM's and crack it.It goes like hell.If I don't speed shift it will hesitate.I tried bigger pilots and no luck.Some out here say the needle is lean????Also bump the timing +2 and/+4.the timing I think I will try just a bit shun running 150 lbs with porting on 93 fuel.