Transmission fluid...what type should I use...?

MorrisJL

So its time for me to change my transmission oil...problem is I don't know what I should use. I've read arguments on various websites and forums but haven't really found anything on bansheeHQ about this subject. Should I use an automatic transmission fluid or light weight motor oil...? If I use the ATF, I understand I will need to change the fluid more often but read from multiple posts that it will extend the life of the clutch... a light weight motor oil will protect the transmission just the same but can cause the clutch to slip...? I'm sure the transmission as of right now has a lightweight motor oil and I can't say I've noted the clutch slip. What is everyone else using... any bad outcomes with either type of fluid use...?

So its time for me to change my transmission oil...problem is I don't know what I should use. I've read arguments on various websites and forums but haven't really found anything on bansheeHQ about this subject. Should I use an automatic transmission fluid or light weight motor oil...? If I use the ATF, I understand I will need to change the fluid more often but read from multiple posts that it will extend the life of the clutch... a light weight motor oil will protect the transmission just the same but can cause the clutch to slip...? I'm sure the transmission as of right now has a lightweight motor oil and I can't say I've noted the clutch slip. What is everyone else using... any bad outcomes with either type of fluid use...?

We use this in ours and all customers bike. MTL80LiterBottle.jpg

We got more info on the oil as well you can look at My link

Hope you find the info Helpful

• Like 1

banghead Why do people chose to run other types of oil in their trans when there is a specific TRANSMISSION OIL! Do you run white oil in your lawnmower? NO. Maybe we should all start running 10W-40 deisel oil in our automatic transmissions... See where I'm getting at?

The ATF will not extend the life of your clutch. ATF breaks down quickly when overheated. It is tough stuff in an automatic transmission where the clutches and bands slip for a fraction of a second between gear shift and you have a fluid cooler to keep it under 220 degrees. Some people go more than 100K miles without changing it. BUT, feather your clutch to get back into the powerband or drag race a few times under full load launches and you'll soon realise your friction discs glazed over because the ATF is burned and broken down. Honda transmission oil (posted by MattSCESC) is what I use and find myself changing it in the spring and in the fall. Is it more expensive per volume than ATF? Yes, is it more expensive to change trans oil twice a year than ATF every other weekend? no...

Klotz flex drive, Belray gear saver or Honda HP in 80-85 wt.Even after a whole season,the oil comes out as clean as it went in.

The only drawback to the 80 wt oils is the clutch plates will stick a little bit when cold , even after it warms up neutral is always hard to find.

I did not notice a problem until after I changed to an aftermarket clutch and omitted the clutch o-rings.they definitely helped seperate the plates

when the clutch was engaged.

Last year I switched over to Redline's Lightweight Shockproof tranny oil and I dig it. Its blue in color and sticks to everything. Their "lightweight" is a 75W oil. If you watch my YouTube video's you'll see the newest videos show me ripping down my 250R to replace the counterbalancer and you can see the Redline oil on the clutch parts. The quad was sitting for at least a month after I drained the oil and when I took the clutch side cover off, everything was still coated in blue oil. I run it in my RZ too. My RZ and 250R would both stall out when I ran other oils and didn't warm up the oil really good before I took off, but after switching over to Redline, I could see a difference in the warm up time. Let the quad sit for 7 days on a cold October day, fire it up, warm it up for a few minutes, work the clutch lever a little while warming it up, click it into gear, commence to ripping it up. Redline 'lightweight Shockproof' tranny oil, check it out sometime.