Buddy's stock yfz 450 vs banshee

My buddy got a new yfz 450 stock and he raced my other friend on his banshee that has cool head, fmf exhaust, v force reeds, 35mm keihin carbs, and k&N's. I thought the banshee would eat this thing up, but it didnt kill it by a long shot the yfz was only a lenth behind the whole time. From what i have heard a banshee should destroy that thing in a race with those mods. Do any of you guys have any input on what may have been wrong with the banshee or is it that the yfz's are that fast? I almost forgot the race was a drag race.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

on what terrain were they racing on traction wins races? and Yes yfz450s are damn fast depends on alot of things including riders skill.

Thay were racing on pavement. My buddy just got the quad yesterday and is pretty bad at riding.

Well for one that is too much carb for a non ported engine :ermm:

Also depends on gearing, tire size, rider mass, rider experience, etc.

The 450's are quick, and your buddy must suck ass at riding a banshee

+1

Dont be shocked, i got a LTR450 and it competes with almost anything. They are deceptively fast, without the powerband its a different feel. I definitely hold my own when I am out at the dunes lining up with other quads.

ONE

Nontheless the banshee should still spadank that 450 by at least 3-4 lengths depending on the legnth of the drag.. I havent come across any 450 that can even come close to me, granted i have quite a bit more done to my bike, but still I have raced some pretty bad 450's.

That's not totally true..

Those 35mm carbs are too much for a stock stroke, non ported engine. They are flowing so much air/fuel into the engine that the engine isn't getting a good complete combustion. (It's like having say a stock 350, and running a 650 Carb...too much carb, causing the car to bog really bad down low and sputter throughout the RPM). Might be able to set up the pilot jet, but once you start getting towards jetting the needle and main. That is a lot of fuel/air for such a close to stock engine.

I would drop down to stock 26's or get some 28's, jet it correctly and then try again, you will be surprised at the difference. Or get a good port job on your cylinders where as the 35's will feed the engine fine.

You can have pipes, filter, reeds, porting, whatever. But if your bike isn't set up/jetted correctly...forget about beating 4 strokes.

That's not totally true..

Those 35mm carbs are too much for a stock stroke, non ported engine. They are flowing so much air/fuel into the engine that the engine isn't getting a good complete combustion. (It's like having say a stock 350, and running a 650 Carb...too much carb, causing the car to bog really bad down low and sputter throughout the RPM). Might be able to set up the pilot jet, but once you start getting towards jetting the needle and main. That is a lot of fuel/air for such a close to stock engine.

I would drop down to stock 26's or get some 28's, jet it correctly and then try again, you will be surprised at the difference. Or get a good port job on your cylinders where as the 35's will feed the engine fine.

You can have pipes, filter, reeds, porting, whatever. But if your bike isn't set up/jetted correctly...forget about beating 4 strokes.

Im bringing out my banshee today to see what it will do aginst him. It's got the same mods as the other banshee except im running the 26mm carbs. Thanks for all the info too!

youd be surprised how much faster a properly tuned piped banshee is than one that the jetting is bastardized and the carbs are out of sync, my piped banshee outright smokes my friends piped shee, i dont know about lengths but im sure i could put at least 6 lengths on him by 6th gear and he weighs about 60 pounds less - in the wrong hands a banshee is a real POS, you probably see more sick, shitty running ones than out on the trails, than nice ones, not taking anything away from the yfz's but they are easy to ride fast, a banshee takes a rider with a clue to be fast

youd be surprised how much faster a properly tuned piped banshee is than one that the jetting is bastardized and the carbs are out of sync, my piped banshee outright smokes my friends piped shee, i dont know about lengths but im sure i could put at least 6 lengths on him by 6th gear and he weighs about 60 pounds less - in the wrong hands a banshee is a real POS, you probably see more sick, shitty running ones than out on the trails, than nice ones, not taking anything away from the yfz's but they are easy to ride fast, a banshee takes a rider with a clue to be fast

couldnt agree any more if ya cant handle a 2 stoke buy a 4 stroke but dont expect to beat banshee's with a good rider :evil:

Edited by siksykorx7

couldnt agree any more if ya cant handle a 2 stoke buy a 4 stroke but dont expect to beat banshee's with a good rider :evil:

I love banshees as much as anyone here, but comments like this make me fall out of my chair laughing! A 4-stroke is not a cure all for shity riders and people that dont know how to tune. I have my LTR and i tune it and race it just as much as my banshee. In fact i am willing to say i hold my own against banshees.

I'll line up with you any day siksykorx7! And my thumper will walk all over you.

ill walk all over any 450 u throw at me :biggrin: i love picking on the lil guys

your on, I will take on any of your "bolt on" shee's with my "bolt on" LTR. Its comical how ignorant some people are.

I AM NOT TALKING SHIT ON banshees. But the new 4-strokes can be really nasty, just like banshee's if you tune them right and know how to ride they will compete.

now if your talking about ported and stroked shee's, it will take a lot to compete with that.

one