my banshee runs backwards

I have a 95 banshee and every once in a while when I started it up, it would go backwards... After it happened a few times, I got curious... I shifter it as it was going backwards.... It went through all six gears in reverse... I was having troubles with my cases and found a complete motor, for about the same price as new cases, and so I bought it.... I took my complete motor out and put this 98 complete motor in.... I ran it a few times and it runs great.. I have had it in my bike about two weeks now... I went to ride it on Monday and it started up like always........ I put it in 1st gear and it went to go............And sure enough it was moving backwards again.... My banshee has reverse again, with a hole new motor.....What could be wrong? Where would I even start.? A few people told me that it could be something electrical!!! Something about the polarity being crossed...I am just wondering if anyone has had this wrong with their bike and knows how to fix it...? Is it electrical? Since I find it very outrageous that I would have the luck of buying another motor that has the exact same problem as the one I already have... The common denominator in this equation is the bike....(the wiring, the frame and so on..) Like I said, it is a completely different motor.......With the same thing happening....Can anyone help me out with the problem....? Any advice would be appreciated..Or if you have had this happen to you, please let me know how you fixed! Or worst, what if any, damage was caused from the motor running backwards.... Thank you!!!

I have a 95 banshee and every once in a while when I started it up, it would go backwards... After it happened a few times, I got curious... I shifter it as it was going backwards.... It went through all six gears in reverse... I was having troubles with my cases and found a complete motor, for about the same price as new cases, and so I bought it.... I took my complete motor out and put this 98 complete motor in.... I ran it a few times and it runs great.. I have had it in my bike about two weeks now... I went to ride it on Monday and it started up like always........ I put it in 1st gear and it went to go............And sure enough it was moving backwards again.... My banshee has reverse again, with a hole new motor.....What could be wrong? Where would I even start.? A few people told me that it could be something electrical!!! Something about the polarity being crossed...I am just wondering if anyone has had this wrong with their bike and knows how to fix it...? Is it electrical? Since I find it very outrageous that I would have the luck of buying another motor that has the exact same problem as the one I already have... The common denominator in this equation is the bike....(the wiring, the frame and so on..) Like I said, it is a completely different motor.......With the same thing happening....Can anyone help me out with the problem....? Any advice would be appreciated..Or if you have had this happen to you, please let me know how you fixed! Or worst, what if any, damage was caused from the motor running backwards.... Thank you!!!

replace the CDI.

sounds like bullshit to me. all 6 gears in reverse huh. i have heard of them starting in reverse. but they never stay running for long. the kicker gear usually stops everything with a big ole mess.

Agreed, I've heard of people kicking it over and the bike tries to roll backwards for whatever reason. But from what you are describing you can run the bike in reverse and if I recall correctly I don't think my shee has a reverse. I don't think that it was optioned that year, so I agree something doesn't sound right about that.................

sounds like bullshit to me. all 6 gears in reverse huh. i have heard of them starting in reverse. but they never stay running for long. the kicker gear usually stops everything with a big ole mess.

Id have to agree.

doesnt it have to do with the timing when a bike runs in reverse???

yes, this is how most modern snowmobiles have reverse. The engine briefly shuts off, the computer changes the timing, and restarts in reverse. This is why I said to replace the CDI (if this guy is actually serious)

This is one of the great wonders of a two stroke. A friend of mine that raced factory Maicos way back in the day said on occasion the timing would get messed up and it would backfire and run in reverse. A motoplat ignition solved all the problems the stock ignition was plagued with. The motor doesn't depend on which direction of rotation to run, it gets vacuum either direction.

Either it is the CDI has failed or the stator plate is loose and the timing is way off. First check the plate (its cheaper to do that) then if that checks out okay go for the higher ticket item CDI.

have seen it happen ride with this guy frequently as a matter of fact my banshee is in his garage waitin for cylinders to be returned from jeff personal opinion is cdi

your timing is off bad! your timing is retarted which is causing it to run in reverse mess with the stator plate and you should find your problem. do you have a aftermarket plate by any chance? i had a triz that would run in reverse thought it had a reverse gear at first until my friend came over advanced the timing and it was fixed.

yes ignition for shure this can happen.

seen lots of engines run backwards .

never seen a banshee tho. But then again never seen another banshee run other then mine

the old 2 stroke Detroit's run back words real good. smoke out the air filter. the oil pump does not like it tho. those old engines you can buy them by direction the military used lots of (backwards) ones

I have personally made a 4 stroke electronically controlled direct injection diesel run back words.

( Cummins M-11 )

anything is possible

• Like 1

Ok so one day the nut on the fly wheel came loss on my banshee and broke he keeper, then i dint realize that i had no keeper and i put the fly wheel on so the slot for the keeper was reversed and that kinda cool stuff, so wen i went to start up it ran for like 20sec and i put it in gear and guess what it went backwards and died. then wen i tried to kick start it it keep shooting the kicker back up at me i couldn't figure it out tell someone toled me to check timing and then i thought of the fly wheel and fixed it. so it can happen.

Chevshee

if you want to get rid of that other motor let me know i need one