coolant

04YAMSHEE

had this happen a couple times but it seems to be getting worse. i am getting coolant drips out of the overflow. all i did today was start it for the first time this season and let it warm up. shut it off and noticed coolant drips from the overflow tube. what is this from? i couldn't see it overheating after only a few minutes on a 40 degree day. also what do i need to do to change the waterpump impeller?

had this happen a couple times but it seems to be getting worse. i am getting coolant drips out of the overflow. all i did today was start it for the first time this season and let it warm up. shut it off and noticed coolant drips from the overflow tube. what is this from? i couldn't see it overheating after only a few minutes on a 40 degree day. also what do i need to do to change the waterpump impeller?

Go to chapter 10 in the clymer.It's easy...(if you got one, if not get one) :beer:

do you run regular anti freeze? if so how long has the motor sat? anti freeze will gum up and clog your rad if its not used often. This could be one problem. also check your impeller, if its stock they are known for breaking and becoming just a metal shaft that spins. Buy a billet impeller and replace it

well i pulled the cover off and inspected the impellor and it looks ok, i will replace it anyway. i think i will add a inline cooler and the impellor and see if that makes a difference. do i have to pull off the complete side cover to get the impellor out?

Yes!!!!!

I wouldn't use the inline cooler just for looks.....(my .02 cents) :confused:

1st off, the impeler is a good idea just for security sake, so im not discougaging that. But, its not going to fix an overheat problem. IMHO. I didnt notice a bit of cooling performance difference on my bike. (i have a gauge) I just have the piece of mind it wont break and leave my ass in the dunes. Put the water pump cover back on and pressure test the system. I was having similar issues on my brothers bike, and i thought the drip was coming from the overflow tube. Thing is, we checked the bike with a handheld infrared temp guage and it wasnt hot, just dripping. so I pressure tested it when we got home and found out that the burp tube from the top of the head to the radiator was leaking a bit when under pressure and it was dripping down running over and running down the overflow tube making it look like it was coming from the tube. PUt a new clamp on her and so far so good.

If you decide to do the impelar, you will need, the impelar, a clutch cover gasket, a water pump cover gastket at a minimum. FWIW, on both of my bikes, i replaced the plastic drive gear, and c-clip that holds the gear on. On my bike the c-clip was worn half way through. Only another 10 bucks or so for both pieces and now you will have all new parts in the cooling system. I did not have to replace the water pump seal or bearing, they were in good shape. Just put some lube on the seal and be carefull when you put the impelar in. You dont want to tear that seal if it is still good. Oh yeah, the other thing, order the o-ring that goes on the water pipe that seals on the clutch cover. Both of my bikes, that oring was in sad shape. If it leaks, you can get coolant in the tranny.

It is also possible your head gasket is leaking and it is causing the bike to pressurize the cooling system...

I got a bad oring in mine, I kick it 4 times...it pops the radiator cap and pisses a little coolant out the overflow.

in 40 degree weather, even with a bad impeller...I can't see it overheating unless you're beating the tar out of it in that few minutes. If you're just idling/warming it up...I can't see it being a heat issue....

It is also possible your head gasket is leaking and it is causing the bike to pressurize the cooling system...

I got a bad oring in mine, I kick it 4 times...it pops the radiator cap and pisses a little coolant out the overflow.

in 40 degree weather, even with a bad impeller...I can't see it overheating unless you're beating the tar out of it in that few minutes. If you're just idling/warming it up...I can't see it being a heat issue....

Yes, very good point. If it pressure tests ok, pull the radiator cap and look down inside while it is running. if you see lots of bubbles, you may need a head gasket.

There is a difference between dripping a few drops when you are out and about running your bikes, compared to 04YAMSHEE's problem of it dripping coolant at an idle, especially after he has just started it.

Your best bet obviously is to do/check as rubberneck and dajogejr stated and hopefully the problem lies in those areas. I have only gotten a couple drops out of my overflow and that was when I was practicing my launches for drag racing in 30 Celsius weather in a dry field,lol. Good luck on finding the problem :thumbsup: