Studding tires for the Ice?

I have front stock dunlops and rear holeshot mxr4 tires that I would like to stud for the the lake. Anyone know of any sites that would have pattern diagrams for me to check out to get the best pattern or know any thing that would help. I allready purchased the studs ( gold cutters like siding screws kinda but not) but dont want to just screw them in and it ride like shit. Any two cents would help. Thanks in advance.

Just screw them in. They aren't going to bite enough to make a HUGE difference...Two per rear knob is usually ok, you don't want to over stud it with screws.

To get real traction, you're going to need shaved tires with ice picks or ice chisels, same as they use for snowmobile tracks....

Just screw them in. They aren't going to bite enough to make a HUGE difference...Two per rear knob is usually ok, you don't want to over stud it with screws.

To get real traction, you're going to need shaved tires with ice picks or ice chisels, same as they use for snowmobile tracks....

Thanks for the info. I wasnt to sure if there was supposed to be a certain pattern. I was thinking snowmobile picks but im not going to be drag racing or anything, just screwin around on the lake . Kinda like a flat track circle. Again thanks alot

grab your self a comfey seat and a case of beer, find your power drill and go to town. Just remember, the more you put in the middle, the better straight line bite you will have. and the more you put in the outer lugs, the better turning bite you will have.

I have seen some tires with 500-1000 screws in just the rears! so there really is no wrong way.

Another trick is, if you are having problems with the studs pulling out, dismount the tires and cut a piece of carpet to fit the tread area on the inside of the tire, now grab some ice screws that are long enough to go threw the tire tread and screw into the carpet but no to long as to go all the way threw it. Then all you have to do is grab a set of tubes and remount the tires on the wheels

hey,

that ice riding sounds like a blast !

It can be!! Even just riding on the ice can be an absolute blast. When Anchor Bay freezes over up here you can run for miles on the ice, and the canals and rivers that run into the bay can be a good time too. Anchor Bay is just north of Lake St. Clair before you get into the St. Clair river that runs into Lake Huron.

just run those screws in there, i was racing a couple weeks ago and no matter how many studs you use, you still slide, So just do about two per tire as said above and in the fronts keep the screws in the middle three lugs, thats the only contact you get on the fronts anyway. good luck if you want i can post some pics of my tires if you'd like

If u realy want good traction, dismount the tire, drill your hole from the outside where u want the screw . Then get 1 1/4 self taping srcews and run them in from the inside out , then run a nut on tight . i will then use a mig welder to tack the nut to the thread so they cant come off. The screws i use are 1/4 in diamiter

The set i did has only 50 to 60 srcrews per tire ,but they hook up like your on the street!

The harders part is finding the right screw and nut . The self taper screw is a lot harder so it holds up longer .

The set i made does not leak at all .no tube !

also, try to position the screws or studs on the tire so they are not in line or directly behind the one in front of it. try to stagger them so when the tire is spinning on the ice there are as many "scratch lines" as possible. traction is lost if the studs are running in the same scratch line as the ones in front. in other words try and vary your stud pattern as much as possible for maximum bite.

I have 428 in each rear...22" kenda klaw XC.... They HOOK!!!

Fronts....78 each tire... holeshot XCR.... thinking about 30 more in each.

If you have a lot of time to do it.... I made a mark on my driver and lined that mark up to the slot in the cold-kutters, this way I could index each screw for maximum grip.... I.E. the ones on the outside of the tire I turned so they would hook in the turns. The ones in the center for straight line traction. works great

You get it....

When you start getting into big power and longer arms, you're gonna need more than cold cutters.

You'll need this...plus more (believe it or not, with 48 picks in each tire, it spins them easily until about 3rd gear)

I would use double the picks and a wheelie bar to make it interesting...

pict0004qe8.jpg

pict0003te6.jpg

And this is what happens when things go wrong, good friend of ours...took his 3rd or 4th pass on my bike and things got ugly.

He's doing well..just gotta heal up now.

66924be231cjo5.jpg