Mods for 2500$?

pepehaha

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ive rode on Works many of times and they dont even compare to Elka. Mabey they do in the sand IDK. You dont need elites unless you plan on competing.

A good port job is opening the ports in your cylinders so they get more air/fuel and that makes the bike 2 (sometime 3xs) times faster than stock.

imo no its not worth it. works has to compete with the other "big name" companies to stay in business. they are a smaller shop with less over head which keeps the prices down. they have shocks that cost just as much as elkas , axis, peps, or fox floats, but they also have recreational shocks that are much cheaper. i ran works on my bike for a few years and switched out for a marvin shaw when i built my bike for drag. if i go back to dune setup im getting works again. ill never pay the price of elkas when i can get works at half the cost that perform just as well. but its up to you.

Okay.

So if i will want a port job,i have to send to someone in the usa just carburators?And how much does the port job cost?And does it raise the amount of fuel needed for 100km? If so,how much?

About the shocks,i will decide later,it will depend on what deal will i get. Maybe some used also.

Thanks! You really helped me a lot!

Okay.

So if i will want a port job,i have to send to someone in the usa just carburators?And how much does the port job cost?And does it raise the amount of fuel needed for 100km? If so,how much?

About the shocks,i will decide later,it will depend on what deal will i get. Maybe some used also.

Thanks! You really helped me a lot!

I roll on Works Dual Rates with Remote Ress. I am happy with them.

To get a port job you have to send the jugs (cylinders, or barrles what ever you call them). The opean up the ports. You have to do this very carfully. They chage the port timings. Make the intake, transfer ports, and exhaust ports opean up at different times. There are all different types of port jobs.

MX port = getting the most bottom end.

Trail = all around port job

Dune Port = Mid range to top end power, Most comon port job. If you want bottom end get a 4 stroke

Drag Port = Max top end at the expence of some midrange.

Portjob on a 2 stroke = Changing a camshaft on a 4 Stroke.

It isnt something you can just take a grinder and do your self.

Here is a pic of my stock stroke ported cylinders.

BansheePorting3.jpg

Here is my +4 mill stroker crank drag ported cylinders. They start off by lowering the ports down because when you add 4mm to the stroke of the engine the piston goes down 2mm farther in the cylinder and it goes up 2mm farther. That is why the ports are lowered on these cylinders.

PatriotRacingIntakePorts.jpg

PatriotRacingExhaustPort.jpg

Here is some stock non ported cylinders

92269547_tp.jpg

Edited by jbooker82

Thank you very much.

Now Iam pretty sure I will buy a timing plate, prolly some elkas with reservoir + wicked a arms, used T5's + hush kit, Some KN dual filter setup, Razr II tires, extended axle.

And Play/Dune Port: $350.00 from F.A.S.T racing.

Is it a good idea? I hope I will buy all of this for about that 2500$.

If you will have some good deals on these parts, please let me know.

what mods you have now?

You are going to need some gaskets, perhaps a new top end(since you already have it down) if you have low psi, oils, supporting mods like pipes, air filters etc. Heck, a tors removal kit if your bike doesnt have one already. All of that will make you go well over your expected price. You are also going to want to pick up a Clymer manual so you know what to do.

I think you need to sit down and research A LOT more. If you bike is stock, simple bolt ons will do fine. Maybe just throw on a pipe, air filter and some decent shocks/a-arms and call it quits for a while. Then worry about more power. I really dont see the need for all kinds of power if you do trails a lot. Id go for some decent suspesnion and be done with it.

Edited by RagunCajun

yea you should definitly consider things like new chain/sprockets, all new bearings throughout, especially the rear end.. it eats bearings if you ride hard, oils that you need, ect ect, theres alot of stuff you NEED to ride that you should factor into that $2500 before u start goin crazy blowing half that cash on a set of front shocks from our overpriced canadian brothers..i dont doubt elkas are awesome, but for the average person goin out on weekneds riding, you could slap a set of MUCH cheaper works A.T steelers on and would LOVE them after riding those stock front shocks,i love my works AT shocks on the trails and i payed $550 for them, BRAND NEW, triple rate , with res's. you dont always need the best on the market to see big improvements in performance over stock , and if your bike is all stock, just by slappin a set of t5's and a k&n filter on there you will notice a great improvement in power, it wakes the motor right up..dont let everyone talk you into tearing your motor apart and sending the cylinders , head and flywheel and shit all the way to the USA if you dont want to..id get shit i NEEEDED first.. like 4 good tires (stock banshee tires blow cock).. some skid plates, protect that motor and rear brake caliper/sprocket ect..set of backup handlebars for when you roll it, .theres so much shit i think you should consider spending your money on that you actually NEED, other than dumpin half your money u got to spend, on 2 shocks. its one thing to buy some real nice , crazy expensive shocks if you got everything else done that u wana do.. but if you are starting with a bone stock bike, theres so much more that you should spend your money on, like eveyrone said, if you start buying eveyrthing new, and especially new elkas, your gona see that $2500 dissapear real quick and wont have much to show for it

Well, my bike is stock, but nerfbars and kn air filter, but I will have to buy another air filtering solution...

And, I don't ride only in woods. Thats the problem.. Sometimes woods, sometimes on road, sometimes wheelies(but they arent doable well with stock power..yes they are doable, but not easily...), sometimes mx track...

But Iam afraid that I'll have to spend more than 2,5grand :) Now Iam thinking about 3k$ :) But who knows how will it end...

Edited by pepehaha

MichaelJackson: Yeah I know.. Now i know that 2500 is not enought. About the shocks, if works costs 550, it is possible to get elkas w/ remote res dual rate(or tri? I dunno) for about 750$ as I saw on ebay. It's not so much of difference, If it's worth of it... but I will definitely think about it...Iam not gonna buy everything right now, but I would like the shee to be ready on spring...

I found a set of T6`s chrome with silencers / carb kit and all for $400 new. i called toomey for specs on them and they told me you cant use them for moded bikes. coolhead, reeds, carb, port work. they said i will loose performance. i dont understand it but that came from Toomey. its a nice kit too. they also said buy T5.

i read post 24. then i seems it went in one ear and out the other in post 25.

:banghead:

Definitely not. But I don't need new bearings for example, because the machine is "brand new", the bearing is not "eaten" yet...

But now Iam kinda "brainstorming" all info and then I will think about all possibilities, and then I will decide. Obviously, if there was a huge difference between the price of works and elkas, but 200$ is not that much imho.

I think that the solution for me is to buy some parts used(but not shocks..)