has anyone raced a CRF450R or a YZ450F

sled

like the tittle says. anyone ever drag race a 450 dirt bike? every time i tried racing a CRF450 my banshee got rocked bad! im just wondering what it takes to beat a CRF450 or YZ450F. reason im asking is most of my buddies ride 450 dirt bikes and it would be kinda funny if my banshee could beat them in drag race.

Edited by sled

I have a Cheetah 485 right out of the box with no extra porting, CPI's yada yada. I raced a stock Honda 450 up Devil's dune at St. Anthony's and smoked it... then raced a Suzuki 450 up Choke Cherry and beat him but not by much.... when we got to the top he said he had some work done but didn't say what... so I said the same back. :evil:

Yeah, you're talking about a dirt bike that has half the weight and over 40HP to the rear wheel, BONE STOCK...

With a good rider on the bike, it's gonna take some porting to beat one, or a cub cylinder done up right....

One of the guys that works here has a CRF450 with a pipe and...???? Either way, I have an MX port, stock stroke banshee with a Noss head (21cc), lockup, Pro-Circuits, V3s, etc. (bolt-on bike). I typically take him 1st-4th (with leaving off in 2nd because the front points to the moon) then he can walk past me in 5th-6th by about 1-2 bikes on the top end.

Rider weight and skill makes a big difference in any of these lineups.

I used to beat a guy I rode with on his CR500 with a fully built 409cc kit (LA Sleeve) back aroudn 91 though.

Edited by DSSA

my new set up is gonna be a 4 mill, .40 over, shaved head, dune port, cpi pipes with pwk35s. all my friends are pretty dam good riders. they all race motocross. every time ive ran a banshee in the past on my CRF ive killed it. the last one i raced was stock stroke ported, shaved head, T5s with stock carbs. i put about 7-8 bikes on him.

for a comparison here, my yz 125 was ported and had some head work done, set up for mx, and it would pull on a banshee with fattys and a k&n and another with T6s and a k&n.

i would get about 2-3 lengths on them in a race on the road. we would usually go the distance of 3 power poles, and i was topped out before the second so they would already be gaining a bit on me by the end becasue they had a bit more top speed than me.

i think my shee would get it though with the shaved head and timing :shrug:

then one day i rode my buddies done up crf 450 and my arms were trembling when i came back from down the road, so those 450 dirtbikes are damn fast :blink:

something like 50 hp stock i think :woot:

Edited by shee rips

If your not ported pretty aggressivly and want to run a quarter mile with a 450 bike you can forget about it assuming both of you are about the same riding skill level and both hook good 450 dirtbikes do like 13.5s in the quarter.

for a comparison here, my yz 125 was ported and had some head work done, set up for mx, and it would pull on a banshee with fattys and a k&n and another with T6s and a k&n.

i would get about 2-3 lengths on them in a race on the road. we would usually go the distance of 3 power poles, and i was topped out before the second so they would already be gaining a bit on me by the end becasue they had a bit more top speed than me.

i think my shee would get it though with the shaved head and timing :shrug:

then one day i rode my buddies done up crf 450 and my arms were trembling when i came back from down the road, so those 450 dirtbikes are damn fast :blink:

something like 50 hp stock i think :woot:

yeah, i know what your talking about. i sold my YZ125 and picked up my CRF450. first time i rode it, i was like WTF! the power was unreal. i over shot every jump on my buddies track. i couldnt ride it for shit. after about a week i loved it. my buddy Jay has a 06 CRF450 and i thnk it made 52.5 rwhp on the dyno. i kinda dont think my banshee is gonna hold a candle to my CRF in a drag race. i just wanted to see if anybody else has done it. it would be cool if i could run neck and neck with one or even beat one though.

in the last race here i race a dirtbike like mentioned: Dirtbike is cam'ed and god knows what else, he was banging gears like a pro. he did spin a lot as i did.

http://www.2sly4.us/rc/codys_stuff/spillwa...7high%20res.wmv

I did VERY well considering the fallowing: letting off to shift gears, 19" holeshots, road was VERY sandy and my needle clip settings were different. The video shows nothing though, the facotrs were bad for both of us, especialy the dirtbike because he has one little tire spinning on the sandy road. Good sport though.

IMO a non ported banshee wont beat a nice dirtbike. Mine couldnt beat my old piped yz125 but my shee spun spun spun till 4th. A banshee needs to be ported to even hang with 250 2 strokes or 450 4 strokes. Most importantly, a banshee needs traction off that line because the bike dirtbikes pull very hard.

As for cub'ed banshee racing dirtbikes...that's not even a race. The guy(with the other banshee) in that video has a little drag ported cub in that shee now and detroys dirtbikes and myself of course. Drag bike vs MX bike....come on now. When drag racing, set up has to do ALOT with winning. If you cant catch traction, you go nowhere fast.

my ole yz125 topped out at 73 and my shee at 71ish i think. My dirtbike got there a lot faster.

I have yet to race my yz250 against my ported shee. I've raced a 00yz250 and from what i can see, ill be able to beat my dirtbike with my banshee. flotek is the shiznit!!

Edited by RagunCajun

ill give it a shot in the spring time. i'll post up a video when i do it, so we'll see what happens. last time i had my CRF out with one of my buddies, i beat his banshee bad! his has trinity porting, T5s, and a bunch of other stuff. like i said, it wasnt even close. i just killed him.

It was a couple years ago. But at the 300' sand drag track my cousin had a banshee (T-5's, V-force, cool head, all your bolt ons) and he would lose to a CRF450. His times were around 6.0's and the bike was in the 5.9's So it wasn't by much but it was faster.

Edited by Fouledout421

than im gonna say that the guy on the CRF couldnt ride. ive never even came close to losing to a bolt on banshee. every time i drag race some of my friends 450 quads, i can roll out, stand up, do wheelie and still destroy them. i just wanna know if anyone has beat one with a ported 4mill with stock jugs?? i guess theirs only one way to find out.