compression test

HardIzZlE

i just got a new compression tester & im going to use it on the shee but i just wanted 2 know want is a good psi for my bike it is bored .20 over & also can some 1 give me a quick summary on how many times to kick it & if it should be done on a hot motor

thx

Cold motor

Throttle wide open

15-20 kicks

3 tests per cylinder

5-10 minutes between tests

A fresh stock reading is around 120-130, depending on elevation...the main thing is to make sure the cylinders have about the same compression reading.

Others might do it differently...

EDIT: they beat me to it... :laugh:

Edited by BellicoseBanshee

i like to let mine run for a few seconds (no more than a minute) to ensure everything is freed up and in working condition.

Pull both plugs

hook up guage

hold throttle open

kick till the needle stops going up theres no point in kicking it more

note reading

rinse and repeat!

readings will very as to if the engine is cold (or close to it) or at operating temps. consistancy is the key though.

the bored 20 over dont mean shit..

Contraire young one. Bigger bore means a higher comp ratio for constant head volume. It does not equal much in this circumstance but does matter. The banshee is so friggin embarrassing on comp ratio, a little more will do nothing but help.

Brandon

Contraire young one. Bigger bore means a higher comp ratio for constant head volume. It does not equal much in this circumstance but does matter. The banshee is so friggin embarrassing on comp ratio, a little more will do nothing but help.

Brandon

well my point was 20 over/stock/ 100over your compression should be over 110 to 120lbs anyways.. and each cyl should be close to same readings... so basically when your doing a compression check the info on the bore is not needed.. but i may be wrong.. correct me if i am.. cus all the 20over tells me is there is room to grow.. if compresion is low..

well my point was 20 over/stock/ 100over your compression should be over 110 to 120lbs anyways.. and each cyl should be close to same readings... so basically when your doing a compression check the info on the bore is not needed.. but i may be wrong.. correct me if i am.. cus all the 20over tells me is there is room to grow.. if compresion is low..

Lets just say that with basically stock trim motors, you will grow maybe 15psi between 64-biggest over bore. This becomes more critical with race motors and strokers. Hell, 1cc difference on one of our 7mm motors can change the ratio I think 8:1. Anyway, it does make a difference but not enough to really matter on a stocker. The ratio is good to know for estimating static pumping numbers and problems. You are right, static pressure balance is a must. we allow 5-7psi delta here and that is it.

Brandon

i just did a test on each cyl & they both came out 75 psi i did a cold & a hot test & 1 test cold test i left 1 plug in & another cold test took the other plug out same for the hot test....but my bike starts up 4-5 kicks cold in cold weather & still runs like a beast & the tester is brand new first time used (got it from fraigh harbor lol)

so you guys think just keep on rideing her? cuz i really dont have the extra $$$ 2 put a new top end in& she still rides good

ps: i hear a noice when the bike is ideling (not that loud) coming from the cyl`s im pretty sure its piston slap. is a tiny bit of slap ok?

thx

i just did a test on each cyl & they both came out 75 psi i did a cold & a hot test & 1 test cold test i left 1 plug in & another cold test took the other plug out same for the hot test....but my bike starts up 4-5 kicks cold in cold weather & still runs like a beast & the tester is brand new first time used (got it from fraigh harbor lol)

so you guys think just keep on rideing her? cuz i really dont have the extra $$$ 2 put a new top end in& she still rides good

ps: i hear a noice when the bike is ideling (not that loud) coming from the cyl`s im pretty sure its piston slap. is a tiny bit of slap ok?

thx

Do what you want. Most do anyway but 75 is an alarming number. Post a pic of the harbor junk you bought. It is very possible that its only reading about 80lbs off accurate or so. That would be inline for harbor junk. If they only made surgeon tools so doctors could get a hook up too.

Anyway, have it tested by a real tester for verification and I have posted this about 100 times now but compression does NOT mean your engine is good!!!! Piston slap will never show up on a comp test. If you decided to ride a slapper, go ahead and call the bank and get pre-approved for a loan to cover a new crank, and maybe some new cylinders when it pops.

Sorry to rant.

Brandon

I would really recommend checking it with another tester that is known to be accurate. I have gone through this the hard way with a buddies Matco that was well taken care of. That one told me I was at 80psi in both cyls but the bike fired up in the first two kicks all the time. This is usually uncharacteristic of a bike with that compression. Got a bore and new pistons and 20cc domes and the tester read 100psi!!!! Got a Snap-On and got 160psi both cyls, which is right where it should be.