running backwards

my cousin bought a 98 banshee couple months back.since hes had the quad its ran backwards about3 times. last week he went to start it and the kicker wasnt working so he took the side case off and found teeth to b missing on the kicker gear and the gear on the back of the clutch basket. could this have been causing the problem all along or is there something else wrong. the bike has a fresh rebuild on it about 30hrs runs great other than this and it only haped a few times .

Yes that could cause the problem.

If the clutch basket gear runs in the wrong direction and 'catches' the kick starter gear it wil drag it into the same position as when it is when you kick start the bike, if I am not wrong the kick starter shaft gear cannot rotate 360 degrees than it stops, so the basket gear will force the kickgear to run with it, so it brakes the tooth off, because it cannot rotate 360, worse case if your engine does not die you can brake a casing, The same thing happens to me with an old AG175 2 stroke.

Running backwards can be caused by wrong timing and backfiring when kick starting the bike or as I heard even a crank thats not welded and moved slightly out of trued position. BUT let some confirm this. That was the Ag175s problem.

What happened to me when I strarted the Ag I did not knew it was running backwords and almost lost my balls because I wanne to spin the bike, ending up on the handlebars!! Crazy stuff!!

My english is not very good, I am from SA, so tryinh to explain is difficult.

Thats some crazy shit dude.

I can't even imagine dropping the bike in gear and dumping clutch

and taking off backwards !!!

Too bad you didn't have a video camera on your cousin when that happened.

I'd love to have seen the look on his face !

:yelrotflmao: :yelrotflmao: :yelrotflmao:

ya deff could makin a killing. jus dont wanan see any damage to it more than the couple gears he needs to replace. since hes had it we put some time and money into. jus dont wanna see it turn into a moneypit and get the horrible its a banshee \curse that people but on them around here. people always say its a 2 stroke its got 2 of everything yadda yadda. he maintains it very well

Ive stalled on hills and rolled backwards.. if you pop the clutch the bike will fire in reverse and run through all 6 gears.. Not a good idea...

my old blaster could do that. scared the shit out of me the first time it did it and i dropped the hammer, it wasnt pretty. i did it a couple times after that just to prove i could, lol. i am not about to try it on my banshee

my old blaster could do that. scared the shit out of me the first time it did it and i dropped the hammer, it wasnt pretty. i did it a couple times after that just to prove i could, lol. i am not about to try it on my banshee

like several of them said its gotta be in your timing, somtn maybe broke or is way out of wack> iv heard of this b4 and it was timing....