to stroke or stock

ban02shee

Just wondering what everyone thinks about cranks for the banshee, i just got a banshee with a junk crank and was thinking about ordering the whole stroker kit for 800, or just buying crank and everything seperate if im going to spend 400 on the crank i might as well get a stroker or should i just get a another stock one thanks in advance

this is for trail and pits need to keep up to 450s

The stroker is the way to go, but just keep in mind that when adding a stroker, you will need porting to get the port timings back, you will need to have your stock head cut for stroker pistons or a cool head with stroker domes to clear the pistons, you will need some pipes if the ones you have are stockers, and you will probably need some carbs and reeds.

The stroker is the way to go, but just keep in mind that when adding a stroker, you will need porting to get the port timings back, you will need to have your stock head cut for stroker pistons or a cool head with stroker domes to clear the pistons, you will need some pipes if the ones you have are stockers, and you will probably need some carbs and reeds.

just wondering when you say need to get the port timings back , should i just bring the gasket and get it gasket matched

i believe itll be cheaper to buy crank and piston all seperate but this kit is 769 with it all, think i might do it seperate but just to show what im talking about

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/YAMAHA-YFZ3...sspagenameZWDVW

that was the kit i was looking at

also i have fmf fatty gold pipes, fmf powercore

Edited by ban02shee

What I meant by getting your port timings back, was when adding a stroker you need to have your cylinders ported to match the new stroke. ie. the ports need to be raised and lowered both, they also need to be opened up to flow enough for the added displacement of your engine.

That kit comes with the GAY spacer plate, if your gonna do the 4mm stroker, DON'T use the spacer plate. That basically is so you can drop the crank in and slap your engine back together without porting just to make it run, but it will never run quite right without the proper porting.

Another thing, if your considering a new crank, while your at it, I would recommend getting it trued and welded.

Your best bet is to contact Jeff @ F.A.S.T. racing for parts and pricing.

Edited by RZBansheeMan

any opinions on that kit ..... thanks

Dont get that kit. Here is a list of what you will need.

Stroker crank aound 400-450 from FAST

Wesico 795 series pistons

Noss head with domes cut for the stroker crank (Rechambered stock head woudl do)

Port job for the 4 mill stroker crank.

gaskets.

That spacer plate in that kit moves the cylinders up so the pistons dont hit the head. 4mill stroker causes the pistons to travel 2mm down farther in to the cylinder and 2mm higher in the cylinder. If you run stoker domes in a noss or cool head then you dont run that plate. Cut domes is the way to go. That way you dont have to use that plate.

Just throwing that kit in a stock ported motor will be a waste. Get a port job to really make it scream.

Talk to a couple builders.

Patriot Racin

FAST

Passion Racing

Herr Jugs

The list goes on and on. Some will be back logged months some will be albe to have a quick turn around.

Dont get that kit. Here is a list of what you will need.

Stroker crank aound 400-450 from FAST

Wesico 795 series pistons

Noss head with domes cut for the stroker crank (Rechambered stock head woudl do)

Port job for the 4 mill stroker crank.

gaskets.

That spacer plate in that kit moves the cylinders up so the pistons dont hit the head. 4mill stroker causes the pistons to travel 2mm down farther in to the cylinder and 2mm higher in the cylinder. If you run stoker domes in a noss or cool head then you dont run that plate. Cut domes is the way to go. That way you dont have to use that plate.

Just throwing that kit in a stock ported motor will be a waste. Get a port job to really make it scream.

Talk to a couple builders.

Patriot Racin

FAST

Passion Racing

Herr Jugs

The list goes on and on. Some will be back logged months some will be albe to have a quick turn around.

I thought if you ran 795 pistons you didn't have to cut the domes? Doesn't the wrist pin location take care of the piston travel issue?

I thought if you ran 795 pistons you didn't have to cut the domes? Doesn't the wrist pin location take care of the piston travel issue?

You still have to have the domes cut, the 795 pistons were designed for stock stroke with the 115mm long rods.

Once upon a time the long rod setup utilized rods from a Yamaha RD 400 bike engine and using the blaster pistons for the 5mm higher pin height, the problem with running blaster pistons was having to bore the cylinders all the way out to fit them, and having to rachamber the head to match the dome of the piston.

This was such a popular mod that wiseco made the 795's with the stock dome and starting at std. Banshee bore.

They are used on the 4mm long rod stroker (on a 4mm stroker the crank pin is offset by 2mm resulting in the piston traveling 2mm higher in the cylinder and 2mm lower) , but the piston crown will stick out the top of the cylinder 2mm, therefore the domes need to be recessed accordingly.