banshee+snow=?

ny450

hey guys,

im new to posting on here but a regular at alot of other forums....

quick bio-17,long island new york,riding for 6 years, recently sold a 05 honda 450r and now missing riding and want another quad...something cheap and used.

im thinking about trying to mind myself a nice,clean stock banshee to rip around the feilds and sandpits out here. i love speed, and i have a real soft spot for the sound of a piped banshee running through the gears although i have NEVER owned a yamaha.

now i know i would probably love a shee for my type of riding.....open straights, roads, and sandpits, butt there is one more BIG part of my riding that slightly concerns me.

im not sure how it is in other places, but here on eastern long island, when the snow starts to fall, the riders come out.

im not talking about doing donuts in the driveway, im talking gathering a crew up and going riding on the snowy streets ALL NIGHT....last year we had a few nice storms and we rode 6-7 hours at a time....all on the streets...backroads,mainroads, anywhere and everywhere...cops really dont even bother much...

we ride to restaurants for dinner, gas stations to fill up, the works.....its really probably my favorite part of owning a quad.

my 4 stroke 450 had no trouble in the snow but im wondering how it would be if i ended up picking up a banshee. i know it would be no 4 stroke 450, but if i got some maxxis 4 snow tires on rims....would i be able to ride the streets like i love to? i mostly stay out of the deep powder, and stick to the packed down streets with the few inches of snow on top.

does anyone enjoy the snow like i do?? anyone ride the streets on a shee and hows it do?

i hope to be a regular here if i can find me a quad!

thanks alot

-eric

ps- i<3yamaha snow gear....a matching sled jacket for the quad would be a MUST buy haha

Edited by ny450

Back in the day, I quite often rode my LT250R in the snow, but mostly groomed or semi-groomed trails and frozen lakes. I used Pro-Wedge II tires and didn't have too much trouble. Three-wheelers, 250Rs, and Quadracers were pretty popular back then, so I cannot speak from experience as far as the Banshee is concerned.

I ride mine all the time as Im in a snow belt. On the roads that have been plowed and are packed I love it. You could benifite from a newer tire. May want to try maxis 4-snows. However on loose 4 or more inch snow that is virgin in trails it sucks. Never tried a snow tire may help but not sure. As for running in the cold mine always runs great most engines love colder air. I never had a problem starting or running, however I jet pretty frequently.

i used to ride my blaster in the snow all the time. the biggest problem i had was the snow would pack in around the carb and turn to ice. this would cool the bike off and only run with the choke on, i simply wrapped the carb with this insulation thats like bubblewrap with foil on both sides. never had a problem after that. i took a set of stock yamaha (like off a yfz) and cut every row of nubs (i think) off and ran with those. worked great. I intend on snow riding this winter with the banshee.

My bike runs just fine in the snow.. Like NYUK said old paddles work nice..

Buddy of mine on his.. Now keep in mind this was ALLOT of snow..

http://media.putfile.com/Snow-Thrower

And then at the dunes..

http://media.putfile.com/Snowy-Walden

My bike actually handles the cold and snow better than I.. :yelrotflmao:

RIPPEN