bad a$$ stock cyln motor

kawiking

if you were going to build a bad a$$ stock cyln..std crank banshee , how would you build it ?? more or less a drag bike .... baddest 350 . id like to hear your .02.. carbs ,pipes,domes,gas-alky,porting any thing you can come up with.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

if you were going to build a bad a$$ stock cyln..std crank banshee , how would you build it ?? more or less a drag bike .... baddest 350 . id like to hear your .02.. carbs ,pipes,domes,gas-alky,porting any thing you can come up with.

I'd probably keep my eye out for a set of good triple port cylinders, and if you were dead set on stock cylinders, you could try to kiss enough ass to have a builder do it for you. But, it will probably cost over a grand to get it done, and don't expect it any time soon.

Honestly....

Get a set of OEM cylinders with a few bores left on them, have Dan Hull @ A&S Tripple drag port the cylinders.

Send them in....and wait for your Christmas present, in 2008.

No one builds a tripple port drag motor on an oem cylinder like Dan does...and if setup right, it will beat a ported stock stroke cub.

But...it is MUCH easier and quicker to bolt on a ported cub....but there goes your sleeper, OEM look.

A well built OEM cylinder on alky will handle 39's on alky, lockup...override...OOF drag pipes all day long...and give a lot of smaller motors fits, again, if setup correctly.

And you can worry about the cylinders being thin as crap from all the porting!! Triple port stock cylinders are great dont get me wrong. But a triple port stock cylinder will most likely not be a sleeper anymore, because they have to weld the transfers to strengthen them up from all the porting. It will also cost you an ass load of cash to get a triple port stock cylinder.

Yes they can and do run hard, but how long do you wanna wait for them??

And you can worry about the cylinders being thin as crap from all the porting!! Triple port stock cylinders are great dont get me wrong. But a triple port stock cylinder will most likely not be a sleeper anymore, because they have to weld the transfers to strengthen them up from all the porting. It will also cost you an ass load of cash to get a triple port stock cylinder.

Yes they can and do run hard, but how long do you wanna wait for them??

Yup...what he said...

Still...some people enjoy seeing how far they can push an OEM cylinder, and A&S cylinders run....

thats what i want-- a bad a$$ sleeper.... i have a drag port,+5 timing,f.a.s.t. clutch,bored .40 over,shaved fly wheel,std hot rod crank,34 pj's,k&n pods,boysen reeds,reed spacers,just got my k&t head--17 domes,looking at getting some inframe drag pipes.

its right on a 4 mill cubs ass.... they pull me alittle on top.... about a bike and a 1/2

Get 19cc domes, 17's are probably hurting your top end. Mess with the timing, mess with the gearing.

If you're already drag ported, I honestly dont' see the benefit from getting a tripple port done on top of that.

In fact...unless the guy that originally ported the motor will do a tripple port, good luck.

Not many builders are excited about working off of someone else's ideas.

You could always put a 4 mil crank, cut the head and get new pistons and you wouldn't be able to tell from the outside ...it'll probably give you a 5 to 7% gain....and it'd be cheaper and easier than a triple port.

17cc domes are helping out of the hole, but the motor is fighting itself on the very top end.

You can put 19ccs in, let it rev further, and give it a hair more timing to make up for some of it.

I am assuming that you guys are talking about a triple exhaust port ? .

If this were the case, and I don't want to try and push my ideas on anybody, but I would use some RZ cylinders and weld the powervalves in solid.

I am sitting here right now looking at both RZ and banshee cylinders and the RZ's have quite a bit more aluminum around the exhaust area( including the valves ), leading me to believe that it would be easier to do. I would probably even consider a "big reed" conversion.

I think that it would be possible to do that and with lots of welding and grinding externally, I think you could disguise them as banshee cylinders to the lesser trained eye. you would of course have to run a Pro Design cool head to keep it from being to obvious. You also wouldn't need all the electronics.

That is my future plan on building a drag engine with "stock" appearing cylinders. I would even go as far as either welding up the bottom surface of the cylinders or welding the top surface of the case, Either way would do the same, and then have them resurfaced to disguise the possibility of a spacer while using a 7 or 10 mm stroker. :biggrin:

I could imagine a set up like this would be pretty pricey, yet stealthy. You would probably hang with some Cubs, if not, run them down and have them wondering what the hell just happened ?

What do you guys think ?

id go with a tripple ported set,,youd have to to keep up with the TRIPPLE PORTED CUBS..back in the day when you seen a really badass drag bike before the cheeta cylinders or the cubs ..it was because they were tripple ported..id go with a set of those 38mm carbs on alky. shearer pipes,lock up over ride.and the works! Rick cairo is who personally id let do a set if i was gonna run stock cylinders!

im running a stock head right now...shaved .30 thousands(19-20 )dome. after my portjob and new top end im only running 140lbs of compression.. thats why i am going to a 17 dome , to try and bump my compression. after looking at my mods,u think i could run cpi/shear in frames ???

ive raced a 4mill stock cyln at little sahara(oklahoma) in march and had no problem with it. my friend is going to put a 4 mill in his stock cyln bike.

at this point ,im not sure i really need a lock out clutch....

What exactley is a tripple ported cylinder. And if im correct, aren't tripple ported cylinders where they cut ports into the sides of the intake ports? And if so ive had a banshee like that for over 5 years and its very reliable. And im getting my banshee done that way right now from dean sundahl.