Hard starting and running issues?

John

Hey guys, I just got my bike about 1 month ago, and have rode it about 10 hours. The bike was purchased with about 20 hours on it from a friend. Mods are K&N piece of shit filter and FMF powercore silencers. Lately it has been hotter than normal. The bike was jetted before purchase for the filter and silencers. Still stock pipes though. I un 40:1 Bel-Ray H1R with 94oct. I had a friend take it for a test ride last week and he hit a major mudhole and I am anal about bike cleanliness. I stood the bike on end on the grab bar. When lowered down the bike didn't wanna start. I finally got started but the bike was riding rough, I checked the filter and in the airbox there was fluid in the lower corner, premix, the gas went backwards and went through the filter and into the airbox, not much but still. I removed the filter and cleaned it with the K&N recharge kit. I went out last weekend and the bike was riding terrible, no low end whatsoever, I was thinking the jetting might be off since it was like 90 and the humidity was high. Today fresh plugs and clean filter and it wasn't wanting to start, finally I got going and as I was warming it up it was acting up again. Finally I get it going and ride for around 1 hour, and then a buddy takes it for a spin and the bike dies out. I am checking everything, gas, plugs, and it seems okay. I get it started, but releasing the clutch it dies instantly unless obsurd amounts of gas are given to it. then it will bog around and then start to go somewhere. I finally get home with it and I try to take it up a paved high in front of my house and the bike barely makes it up the 100ft hill that is only 30ft higher than the starting point. I was in second gear pinned. Not really sure whats wrong with it. I am thinking this is carb related. Maybe too much filter oil, maybe bad jetting. Anyone have any info or ideas I would appreciate it. I hope I provided enough information for someone to help me out. Thanks in advance.

you need to give some info, like what jetting you are running, mains and needle clip position , air filter/box setup,

something alot of people do with those k&n's when they clean them, they over oil them like hell after, that will cause your bike to run rich as hell, also, theres really no point on running an aftermarket silencer with those boat anchor headpipes, get rid of them, you can pickup a set of used headers on here or ebay real cheap, , also what kind of premix and ratio do u run?

you need to give some info, like what jetting you are running, mains and needle clip position , air filter/box setup,

something alot of people do with those k&n's when they clean them, they over oil them like hell after, that will cause your bike to run rich as hell, also, theres really no point on running an aftermarket silencer with those boat anchor headpipes, get rid of them, you can pickup a set of used headers on here or ebay real cheap, , also what kind of premix and ratio do u run?

I am not positive about jetting, I bought the bike with the little mods it has. I didn't think I over oiled the filter at all, I was thinking of adding more. I already mentioned 40:1 as my premix. I bought the bike with the silencers. I am planning a whole round of mods. Filter is K&N oval, which I plan on replacing with something foam. Box is stock. Anyone else have any other questions.

u said ur plugs look good so that would square off the jetting and mix ratio has ur bike been just washed or gotten wet? maybe low compression does it feel that way?

I would say to check your TORS. Unplug the black box under the gas tank and see what happens. If thats not it I would pull of the carbs and shoot come cleaner through them and while they are off check to see what the jet sizes are. If you think its a problem with the air filter pull it off and see how it runs without it. ( I dont mean ride it without one just test it to see if it gets better. Hope this helps.

Also That K&N is a good filter I ran it one mine the entire time I had my shee and never had a problem. If you ask me the foam ones arent as good. Of course like anythink else you have to take care of it.

Edited by Satsol67

I would say to check your TORS. Unplug the black box under the gas tank and see what happens. If thats not it I would pull of the carbs and shoot come cleaner through them and while they are off check to see what the jet sizes are. If you think its a problem with the air filter pull it off and see how it runs without it. ( I dont mean ride it without one just test it to see if it gets better. Hope this helps.

Also That K&N is a good filter I ran it one mine the entire time I had my shee and never had a problem. If you ask me the foam ones arent as good. Of course like anythink else you have to take care of it.

It doesn't feel like low compression. Occasionally all the planets will align and the bike will pull hard, but then fall off. I am pretty sure I can rule out jetting, ratio, and compression. This is a bike with 30 hours on it. I am thinking maybe something about the floats, possible clogged jet. Not sure. I don't think K&N are good filters at all. Their filtration isn't good at all. There is a company that makes filters for cars that has a filter that is maintenence free. Filters more dirt, and has a higher airflow. K&N isn't a good filter in my opinion. I would rather use foam. They are so much easier to clean.

It doesn't feel like low compression. Occasionally all the planets will align and the bike will pull hard, but then fall off. I am pretty sure I can rule out jetting, ratio, and compression. This is a bike with 30 hours on it. I am thinking maybe something about the floats, possible clogged jet. Not sure. I don't think K&N are good filters at all. Their filtration isn't good at all. There is a company that makes filters for cars that has a filter that is maintenence free. Filters more dirt, and has a higher airflow. K&N isn't a good filter in my opinion. I would rather use foam. They are so much easier to clean.

K&N are good filters. I have used them on every vehicle that I have ever owned (all ran perfect AND for years actually never had one vehicle break down on me) and I use them on my quad and my father and brother use them with no bad efects.

Do not over oil the K&N it says it right on the package and on the recharge kit. The filters that require no oil I do not trust. That is mostly how the K&N works so good is because it traps the small stuff in the oil and the large stuff in the netting.

I woule suggest you take your bike somewhere to get looked at. If you are taking it through huge mud puddles then I don't know what to say other than you should have bought a 4 stroke for that. I ride in the dry deserts only and would never take my bike through mud, but to each his own.

K&N are good filters. I have used them on every vehicle that I have ever owned (all ran perfect AND for years actually never had one vehicle break down on me) and I use them on my quad and my father and brother use them with no bad efects.

Do not over oil the K&N it says it right on the package and on the recharge kit. The filters that require no oil I do not trust. That is mostly how the K&N works so good is because it traps the small stuff in the oil and the large stuff in the netting.

I woule suggest you take your bike somewhere to get looked at. If you are taking it through huge mud puddles then I don't know what to say other than you should have bought a 4 stroke for that. I ride in the dry deserts only and would never take my bike through mud, but to each his own.

That is a good mix 40-1 is to much oil

Actually there is more oil in a 32:1 mix than 40:1. 40 parts gas to 1 part oil I believe. I also don't hit big mud puddles all the time. I happened to come across an area that looked dried up, but had a little bit of mud in it and since I am a neat freak about my bikes I thoroughly cleaned the underside of the machine. I live in an area that has a lot of sugar sand and loam. It takes a lot of rain to produce mud. There is only one or two places where I live that can produce mud. I have a 4-stroke that I ride as well, so I think I am covered as far as atvs go. So no other ideas on what might be the problem. I also didn't over oil the filter. I am sure of that, I read the directions three times. I am 100% sure this has nothing to do with what style of filter I use.

I already have run 32:1 and it ran fine, however under the guidance of several other members and my local shop and the oil manufacturer... in this case Bel-Ray. It is suggested to run 40:1 mix. Bel-Ray suggests any 2-stroke over the engine size of 250cc use 40:1.

If I can locate the the filter test I will do it, because if there is a way for me to fit my car filter in my air box it's going in. It's an A'PEXi Power Filter. Wipes the floor with the K&N in every respect. airflow, filtration, and velocity.

I say dont let your buddies drive it so you wouldnt run into these problems, all my problems are avoided this way. Does it idle?

Now it won't start. Believe me no one is riding my bikes anymore. I am getting my 400 back from the shop with an all new rear end and a lot of new upgrades. I guess I will be dropping my bike off tomorrow and hopefully they can figure it out. Jets seemed fine to me, plugs look ok. Filter is fine. not quite sure what the problem is, I am thinking maybe something electrical. Its just such a new bike that I find it hard to believe that I am already having problems.

Now it won't start. Believe me no one is riding my bikes anymore. I am getting my 400 back from the shop with an all new rear end and a lot of new upgrades. I guess I will be dropping my bike off tomorrow and hopefully they can figure it out. Jets seemed fine to me, plugs look ok. Filter is fine. not quite sure what the problem is, I am thinking maybe something electrical. Its just such a new bike that I find it hard to believe that I am already having problems.

Disregard this post as I made a very dumb mistake. I just ran out of gas. I must have been out longer than I really thought and my bike ran low. Moderators please close this post.