Not Impressed

well, this weekend my cousin came out from PA, and unfortunatly, im in the process of rebuilding my 2 quads. So in order to go riding with the rest of my family, for $150 i rented a stock YFZ 450. figured, hey this thing is supposed to be so great. and a banshee killer, so might as well check out the compettion. Well, needless to say, i was not impressed with it. It never seemed like it wanted to pull through any gear past 4th. Your had to keep it at high RPM's in order to get any type of accel. Things i was impressed with... the look was nice, it had a very nice wide, low stance to it, the suspension was a change from the banshee, it was nice, plush, etc. Another nice change from the banshee (quite frequently as it did) when it stalled, to just push a button and it starts right up. Now one of the more incredibly uncomfortable things i noticed, it to the right where the exaust pipe comes out, IT GETS HOOOOT. it was wicked uncomfortable, if u wernt moving at a fast enough pace to keep a constant high amount of air going through the radiator, it sucked. And i was wearing heavy duty jeans! and when i was towing the blaster back to camp at a slow speed, the 5 minutes of slow drving, i finally PUT MY LEG up onto the plastics cause it was burning my leg so bad, it sinched my hairs! O.o But other then the heat and the lack of power, its a pretty nice quad. Even though im almost positive my all stock banshee could kick its ass.

they are just different, with the throttle, what you see is what you get. a lil timing advance and a semi aggressive cam and pipe they wake right up. but they get borring quick. wheelies all day though.

Bolt on vs bolt on any shee will eat a 450 any 450 (Ive got my eye on that new rotax powered DS450 though). If they are stock they are going to be boring vs riding a piped banshee no doubt. You need to wake them up with mods for power head mods cam pipe and that boring powerband wakes up into wow Im impressed with this 4 strokes powerband but it will never be a Banshee. The handleing department is totaly diffrent too. They can eat Banshees alive in the woods without breaking a sweat. To race a Banshee you have to be totaly comited or you have to have $$$$$

Yeah, my brother had a YFZ and I thought he did pretty damn good on it. I think my problem was gearing, because he would take me off the line and I would catch up to within a bike length but then ran out of hill to climb. At the time it was just a piped shee too, I'd like to see him try that crap now..............mooohahahahahahaha

Sorry...but I disagree.

Bolt on vs. bolt on, and I'm talking reeds, pipes, cams, air filters, timing...etc.

A YFZ will beat a banshee in a drag race. Maybe not on the very top end...but no drag races last that long.

It is very...very hard to beat a new 4 poke off the line. And then the race is done...and you're playing catchup.

Now...once you get into porting, forgetabouit...banshee all the way.

I've rode with a TON of 4 poke guys....they're coming out of the box 50 pounds lighter and with as much or more HP...and they hook up like a tractor and go....

Now...I'm talking like a 200 to 400 ft drag race, sand or pavement...close or equal weight riders of similar skill.

I'm sure a 120lb experienced banshee rider should smoke a 250lb novice on a 4 poke...and vice versa....

I just can't believe there are people still out there not giving the 450's there due. Who ever doesn't give them there respect must not have raced many. Anyone that has spent much time dragging knows the 450's can run. Give the 450 20+ years and see what kind of power they have. A stock 450 w/o the spark arrestor will run next to a piped/filtered banshee. I have video to prove it. We raced over 10 times switched quads and race and kept trading wins. It was my 03 banshee with K&N filters and T-5

Yeah i was impressed of the way they handled on a track, felt like i was on a cadillac with the stance and suspension but i wouldn't trade my banshee for one any day. You definitly have to put exhaust on them to get any power out of them.

You can say the same thing even more about the banshee. There isn't very many bolt on banshee's around that will touch my 450