not happy with my 4 mil!

I just got my rebuild completed. Replaced everthing: 4 mil, new ported stock cylinders, Vforce 3 reeds and cages, 34mm carbs, new transmission and Barret clutch and basket, cool head with domes able to run premium pump gas, stock toothed sprockets. My problem is the bike doesn't seem much faster than it was before. I haven't done anything with the timing, should I? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. thanks in advance

I just got my rebuild completed. Replaced everthing: 4 mil, new ported stock cylinders, Vforce 3 reeds and cages, 34mm carbs, new transmission and Barret clutch and basket, cool head with domes able to run premium pump gas, stock toothed sprockets. My problem is the bike doesn't seem much faster than it was before. I haven't done anything with the timing, should I? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. thanks in advance

Advancing the timing 4 degrees will increase power quite a bit. I think it's best to use the adjustable plate vs. the offset key. Engine performance is greatly determined by what type of porting your cylinders have. A dune style or drag port would yield the highest peak HP numbers. Also, you didn't mention what pipes you are running.

Sounds like you have a good start on a strong running combination, maybe just need to get it dialed in.

yeah, what they said. what type of tires are you running and on what type of terrain? with the extra power you're probably spinning the tires so quickly that you're not getting good traction, so it will seem as though it's not as fast. a gearing change may be in order, so that you can stretch each gear out a little. once everything is dialed in you should be much faster.

Edited by cam2

yeah, what they said. what type of tires are you running and on what type of terrain? with the extra power you're probably spinning the tires so quickly that you're not getting good traction, so it will seem as though it's not as fast. a gearing change may be in order, so that you can stretch each gear out a little. once everything is dialed in you should be much faster.

any ideas on what type of gearing I should use? I'm running Paul T urner pipes and FMF silencers. I know the pipes are not the best, but cant afford new ones right now. I think the jetting is okay, the plugs look good. I did have a port job on my old motor too.

What kind of port work did you have done? If those are Paul Turner mids then they might not agree with the port work very much. You still running the stock swingarm?

stock swingarm. I know I was spinning on a dirt road. I also have a 250r with a 310 big bore thats been totally worked up like the banshee and I thought my shee would kill it in a drag race. The shee wins, but not by a lot.

Ya if you're runnin a stock swingarm and spinning on a dirt road you're not feeling the potential at all. My stock bike kills my buddies drag ported one on dirt simply b/c I can hook-up and he can't. Maybe try some different gearing setups/tire setups (lower psi) and see what happens.

stock swingarm. I know I was spinning on a dirt road. I also have a 250r with a 310 big bore thats been totally worked up like the banshee and I thought my shee would kill it in a drag race. The shee wins, but not by a lot.

if that banshee that u just listed isnt beating that suzuki by at least 15 bikes, something is seriously wrong... u should take ur cylinders off take pictures and send them too jeff to make sure whoever did your porting did it right. also u port timing might be off if he didnt set the porting up for a 4 mil O.o

if his port timing was off he would probly be on heard asking about it running bad. when your port timing are off you will notice it idles hard or not at all. fromt he way it sounds he can ride it fine its just not to his satisfaction. like all these guys have been saying your probly not hooking up and/or your jetting is off.. when you say your jetting is on. are you assuming that or did you do a plug chop? remove your plugs and snap a shot of them and post if u can