pipes--dyno --?

well ive always wanted a set of out of frame pipes .i had a drag port done on my bike(look at profile) stock with bolt ons.added a set of 34 pjs and a used set of cpi out of frames.i knew my jetting was rich on top,went to little sahara oklahoma this week and had it dynoed. carbs had 152 stock in them-i put 148's in before i left . my buddies shee is just like mine with out the porting ,pipes and carbs. he pulled a 55 !!! the owner of the dyno said he could tell mine was bad rich before we started.

it pulled a 53!!!! my 2 buddies ride the same and you can switch them on both bikes and mine always has at least a 2 bike lead. i went and dropped it to 140 and put a set of fmf fatties and the damn thing pulled 58.....

did i not have anough motor for the out of frames ??? the dyno guy said a set of cpi inframes would help out alot !!! anyone have any advise for me ???? hate to spend 500 on a set of cpi in frames and them run like crap. why were the out of frames hurting me ???????

thanks for the help !!

im not a bid dyno num guy,i wanted my jetting close ........

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

who is your motor builder? what pipes did he recommend? to me, dyno numbers dont mean shit. ive also heard of that dyno ruining a lot of guys days. sounds like it ruined yours. i mean, if youre whoopin your friends who gives a shit about dyno numbers?

on another note. something doesnt sound right. my brothers old woods ported motor, with t5's, 18cc domes, 33 mm pwk made 58 hp on a reliable dynojet dyno.. something with your setup must not be right.

well ive always wanted a set of out of frame pipes .i had a drag port done on my bike(look at profile) stock with bolt ons.added a set of 34 pjs and a used set of cpi out of frames.i knew my jetting was rich on top,went to little sahara oklahoma this week and had it dynoed. carbs had 152 stock in them-i put 148's in before i left . my buddies shee is just like mine with out the porting ,pipes and carbs. he pulled a 55 !!! the owner of the dyno said he could tell mine was bad rich before we started.

it pulled a 53!!!! my 2 buddies ride the same and you can switch them on both bikes and mine always has at least a 2 bike lead. i went and dropped it to 140 and put a set of fmf fatties and the damn thing pulled 58.....

did i not have anough motor for the out of frames ??? the dyno guy said a set of cpi inframes would help out alot !!! anyone have any advise for me ???? hate to spend 500 on a set of cpi in frames and them run like crap. why were the out of frames hurting me ???????

thanks for the help !!

im not a bid dyno num guy,i wanted my jetting close ........

Sounds like you don't have enough motor for those pipes.Mine was the same way.i had T-5s and it made less power than my fatties too .I was on stock stroke .040 overbore and ported.Your porting probably has alot to do with it.

who is your motor builder? what pipes did he recommend? to me, dyno numbers dont mean shit. ive also heard of that dyno ruining a lot of guys days. sounds like it ruined yours.

Any dyno that can be sensibly put in a trailer and not hard wired into the electrical grid is a pile of crap. :thumbsup:

You know, not a lot of people know this but dynoport makes drag pipes. They are probably the leading snowmobile pipe manufacturer, and they have an in house dyno that they use and tune with all the time. I talked to Rich Daly the owner, he said he has built some drag bikes before.

Dynoport web listing for pre made banshee pipes

You know, not a lot of people know this but dynoport makes drag pipes. They are probably the leading snowmobile pipe manufacturer, and they have an in house dyno that they use and tune with all the time. I talked to Rich Daly the owner, he said he has built some drag bikes before.

Dynoport web listing for pre made banshee pipes

I know Dynoport make one of the best, if not the best pipes for sled out there....however......

When they start putting up the numbers like CPI or Shearer when it comes to drag pipes...then I'd look at them...

Not to say that they don't make good pipes...but this guy has drag porting, and drag porting on 34PJs should be well into 70 plus HP if not more...there is something else wrong.

And i agree with Loco...dyno's are good for tuning and getting your shit close...real world and seat of the pants riding is where it's at....though.

Plenty of smaller, less HP motors can hand it to bigger motors for a variety of reasons.

#1 will always be rider, followed by setup (suspension, tires, gearing, etc.)

I know Dynoport make one of the best, if not the best pipes for sled out there....however......

When they start putting up the numbers like CPI or Shearer when it comes to drag pipes...then I'd look at them...

Not to say that they don't make good pipes...but this guy has drag porting, and drag porting on 34PJs should be well into 70 plus HP if not more...there is something else wrong.

And i agree with Loco...dyno's are good for tuning and getting your shit close...real world and seat of the pants riding is where it's at....though.

Plenty of smaller, less HP motors can hand it to bigger motors for a variety of reasons.

#1 will always be rider, followed by setup (suspension, tires, gearing, etc.)

Completely agreed!

I dont think dynoport worries about that kind of stuff, cause they just dont need to with how much sled business they do.

thats why i put i wasnt a big dyno guy, ive used them both times on both of my bike for jetting. i was so rich it was bad and he said he couldnt read the out of frames for air/fuel.ive heard the dyno at l.s . is a little low(thats hear say ????) h.p. numbers dont really mean crap to me ,like i said my bike pulles harder than my buddies(jockey)... he races mit for me all the time(alot better driver!!!)

had a guy port it where i live, does good work.not a big name builder. just wanted to try him out.hope to go cub motor next year with 1 of jeffs port jobs. my bikes strong,it will play with 4 mills all day.they will pull me at the end but i'll be giving them hell.

thats why i put i wasnt a big dyno guy, ive used them both times on both of my bike for jetting. i was so rich it was bad and he said he couldnt read the out of frames for air/fuel.ive heard the dyno at l.s . is a little low(thats hear say ????) h.p. numbers dont really mean crap to me ,like i said my bike pulles harder than my buddies(jockey)... he races mit for me all the time(alot better driver!!!)

had a guy port it where i live, does good work.not a big name builder. just wanted to try him out.hope to go cub motor next year with 1 of jeffs port jobs. my bikes strong,it will play with 4 mills all day.they will pull me at the end but i'll be giving them hell.

Not sure if it reads low or not but we have had our Play/Dune ports hit 70 hp on that same dyno. Do you maybe have Big bore pipes instead of small bore? Is your porting guy a builder or just someone who ground on your cyls? I would consult him and see what he says. 140 main seems really low to me for 34 pjs but maybe yours have different needles or something. Might borrow some inframes and dyno it again or just do lots of plug readings/chops.

140 main seems really low to me for 34 pjs but maybe yours have different needles or something.

That's the first thing that came to mind for me...my friend running CPI out of frames (small bore) w/ his stock cylinder setup has 34PJ's w/ 160 mains in it, runs excellent. We are around sea level.

guy at the dyno said my jetting was damn close. ???? i cant believe it has a 140 either !!!!!! ran good!!! im at about 330 sea level were i live(probably close to u bigboy)....im going to bump it up some now that im at home.probably go to 145 to be safe.this guy has ported alot of cyln,not a builder though,im sure they are not as good as jeffs,passion or others. it was a last minute dession they looked good,he may have took alittle to much out,may. my bike runs damn strong for what it is. my buddies 4-mill cub dynoed at 64....

yep u read it right!!! 22 domes--likes it on pump gas,34 pjs --cpi inframes--v force ........... has it all---64 ponies. i thought he was going to pass out... buddies 10 mill cub pulled 91.........

jeff im sure we are going to be doing alot of busniess this winter----lol---lol !!!!!!

guy at the dyno said my jetting was damn close. ???? i cant believe it has a 140 either !!!!!! ran good!!! im at about 330 sea level were i live(probably close to u bigboy)....im going to bump it up some now that im at home.probably go to 145 to be safe.this guy has ported alot of cyln,not a builder though,im sure they are not as good as jeffs,passion or others. it was a last minute dession they looked good,he may have took alittle to much out,may. my bike runs damn strong for what it is. my buddies 4-mill cub dynoed at 64....

yep u read it right!!! 22 domes--likes it on pump gas,34 pjs --cpi inframes--v force ........... has it all---64 ponies. i thought he was going to pass out... buddies 10 mill cub pulled 91.........

jeff im sure we are going to be doing alot of busniess this winter----lol---lol !!!!!!

I know dynos can vary a bit...but there's something wrong...that 4 mil cub should be up over 90 with good tuning, on gas...and that 10 mil should be over 100 easy on gas, closer to 115 to 125 on alky...

ok im sorry but that dyno is way fucked up. a 4mm cub pulling only 64hp? thats not right. and a 10mm only at 91? neither of those numbers are even close to typical of what a cub motor should be running. personally, id say forget that dyno shit altogether and jet it right with what pipes you have..

Well, rear wheel dynos are not accurate at all. They are only good for tuning and telling you if your bike makes more hp and torque than somebody elses on the same dyno. Only way to really check an engine for hp and torque accurately is on a crank dyno. Every rear wheel dyno can be different, and even daily weather conditions can change the readings also.

Well, rear wheel dynos are not accurate at all. They are only good for tuning and telling you if your bike makes more hp and torque than somebody elses on the same dyno. Only way to really check an engine for hp and torque accurately is on a crank dyno. Every rear wheel dyno can be different, and even daily weather conditions can change the readings also.

Isn't that the point of an SAE corrected dyno number to take into consideration changes in temp, humidity, etc.?

(Not trying to be a smart ass...don't take it that way...honest.)

I agree...crank dyno is way more accurate. But...it is nice knowing how much HP is being put to the rear wheels, too...