which quad for mx

blasterboy20xx

Stock YFZ....

Best balance of everything...

Have you ruled out a 450R? Good bikes as well.

Z400 is good, but low on power compared to a 4 fiddy.

A banshee needs a TON of suspension work to even think about it...then there's the lightswitch powerband that will need to be tuned afterwards via pipes, porting, carbs...etc., just to detune the nature of the beast.

250R is a Great choice...but, they haven't been made since 89...so parts are becoming more rare...and more expensive.

If you have a lot of stamina/strength you can rock the banshee no problem with some suspension, and a few low/mid range engine mods. I can ride the shee hard all day long but I'm also in very good shape, some people get wore out too soon on the shee.

If you're wanting to buy something stock and just do a few things to it I'd get the LTR, the kfx450 looks promising but it's in it's first year of production and could have some problems, it's also not as MX ready stock as the LTR. I would stay away from the 400's, they're kinda underpowered as dajogejr already pointed out.

I would rule out the z400 rite away IMO. I think they are nice trail bikes but the power is very flat to me and they dont handle as well as the 450s or 250rs. The new 450s really have a wide powerband for a 4 stroke almost 2 strokeish and they are race ready rite out of the box. The LT-R is actualy as wide as a bike with +2 A-Arms and the suspensio is fantastic. I like the KFX and all but the all aluminum frame seems like a strength issue to me. The 250Rs are a great race bike with a sick 2 stroke powerband and they are super fun to ride and they handle great. A few mods like some wider a-arms and mabey suspension upgrade wider axe and some practice and you will be rite with the 450s on a 2 stroke.

Now the Banshee is a diffrent beast all together, if you are looking for the ultimate 2 stroke pure power espicaly from mid to top and you wont be happy without that 2 stroke twin hit that only the Banshee provides then go for it but be warned in stock form they are super dangerous to ride on a track. The handling and suspension simply are not there you have to put alot of money thousands of dollars just in frame components to get it up to par with the rest of the racer ATVs out there Plus you will need to change the rpm range for more bottom for the power now factor from gearing down, going around corners WHile landing jumps without over reving and missing ect.

• 2 weeks later...

Here's my run-down of buying a quad(or bike) or anything.

1. Which one fits you the best when you sit on it and use the controls at your feet?

2. Price...spend a little or less and make up the difference. Handlebars and stearing stems can be changed...footpeg, shifter, and breakpedal placement can't

3. Which one comes the closest to what you are looking for when you buy it? The yamaha doesn't need a longer swing-arm and the stock shocks will get you by for a while and has a great rear linkgae. The honda just sucks all the way around in stock form and costs a ton to get it to where an uncorked Yamaha is motor-wise and still won't handle as good. The Suzuki is fuel-injected. That gets complicated and I personally would stay away from that. Same goes for the Kawasaki.

4. Which one gives me the most for my money.

I know the last 3 seem like the are the same thing but when you start digging into the bike and fine-tuning to for you, they are all different.

Hands down, I'd go with the YFZ. If I had an unlimited budget and help, I'd go with the LTR. I'm really interested in seeing this new CanAm and what Yamaha and Honda will do for 2008. Its just 3 months until the 08's will be out.

Edited by TWILES

the new suzuki 450r is a sweet ride, a nice powerband. i rode one... like riding on air. nice for jumping too it comes with some good stuff..

I would have to second that. With your basic mods like pipe, cherry bomb, air box lid removed, your hauling ass!! Great suspension and braking, over all best on the market in my opinion. But overall your budget and experience level will decide your plan of attack.

Just get a 450 by the time u put suspension on the shee u could of just bought a 450 which is a better mx quad. But i guess if money is tight now a shee isnt a bad choice just start hittin the gym your going to need it.. :biggrin: