which quad for mx

blasterboy20xx

DDQ put them to the test and they seemed to have held up fine.

I'm only about 2500 in on my banshee (including purchase price) and I have no problems keeping up/roosting the 4 stroke peeps out on the track who paid thousands more then I have. By the time I'm done I'll probably have spent considerably less then a new 450 costs and it should be well on par with any mx 450. It's all in finding good deals and not paying out the ass for new shit.

yea I saw the pictures of DDQ's banshee in the for sale section and if I had the money right now I'd totally buy it but I'm in the process of selling my blaster that was going to be my mx quad but it was just a waste of money.

I really want a mx shee but don't want to put 4,000 in it after I buy the shee. So I might do more research on the shee and how good the 450 arms hold up. BTW don't you have to cut them to get them to fit the shee?

The yfz front end is very durable and bulletproof in my opinion as long as you have some tie rods made. They need to be 1" longer than stock yfz tie rods, NOSS can hook you up with that.

I raced a national last month in open C and got 4th overall out of 13 against big bore 450's. It was my first race even though I practice at tracks every weekend. After racing at that level on my banshee I have this to say:

Because the only motor mod on my banshee is DG pipes and an intake, it lacks bottom end, which is true for any banshee no matter how much work is done to it. A great motor builder told me that to get any bottom end power out of a banshee, it must be turned into a big bore, and even then porting and other work to get low end power only causes the motor to loose power on top end.

Bottom end is an important part of any mx bike, but if you can ride a banshee good, and keep it in the high rpms you can deffinately be competitive.

That being said, you will need to ride, ride often, and ride hard to get in shape to go 5 laps without stopping. You are also going to have to pace yourself. A rider that can ride faster than anyone for one laps doesn't mean anything. The pace you can ride at for 5 laps is what matters.

Most of that is more rider than machine. Lots of people will tell you MX is 90% rider, and 10% bike, which in my opinion is BS. Yeah, maybe a pro can get on a stock 450 and hang with c riders on built quads, but those guys have the gear, quads, money, time and support to ride and practice at the best facilities when they want. When I get on a yfz set up for mx, I feel like Im twice as fast as I am on my banshee. When I get wore out after riding for 3-4 laps on the banshee, I can get on a yfz and ride 15 laps hard to rest, then get back on the shee. Yes, the difference is that much.

IMO, the yfz is where its at for mx. They feel the most comfortable to me and have the best power curve. The 450r isn't bad, and I have not ridden a built one, only stock ones, but they dont feel as good to me comfort and handling wise. Of course its not fair to copmpare a built quad to a stock one. Ive also ridden a built z450, which I liked, but not as much as the yfz. Ive also heard of and seen first hand tranny problems with the zuks.

Me, Im going back to a 250R because they handle awesome, can be built to produce awesome bottom end power and are very smooth power-wise. Plus, I jut love 2 strokes.

Bottom line- You can be competitive and have fun on a banshee, but to race and be competitive at it, you will need lots of exercise and practice staying in the power, which means going into corners a gear lower than you think you need. Becase if you dont, and the quad heitates for half a second before it gets on the power again, 2 guys will have already passed you.

I reccommend riding all the quads you are considering to see which one YOU like most. All of this is just my opinion, and you shouldn't take anybodies word for which quad is better for YOU.

nicely put

Thanks for all the input its greatly appreciated I'm 16 just old enough to race a bigger quad I'm in very good shape so I'm not to much worried about tiring out on the banshee I need a race quad and have a $3000 budget when its all said and done.But like I said before I'm gonna definetly do more research on the banshee and yfz which is the two quads I've narrowed my selection down to. Any more opinions would be greatly appreciated.Thanks, Sam

For 3000 I don't think you're gonna beable to afford any 450 or mx shee unless you find some killer deals.

There's a lot of things you can do to cut down on the banshee beating the hell out of you. DDQ's bike from what I know was almost stock aside from the front end, axle, tires, bars, and pipes. Still room for a steering stabalizer, suspension, and a -2 swinger which makes a massive diffrence like you wouldn't believe in handling. Get some PT mids and maybe an mx port/2-1 carb set up, advance the timing, increase compression, if you got the money a stroker and you should have plenty enough low/mid for the track. I just have pt mids, advanced timing, and a coolhead and my shee has enough bottom end for me to get the job done and then some.

Hitting the gym won't hurt either. I'm pretty big into lifting and shit so the banshee isn't much trouble for me as it is for some but in comparison it is a lot more tiresome as DDQ already explained. hit the gym, hit the cardio, and get you a banshee son. You'll turn more heads on the shee at the track lol.

• 5 weeks later...