Piston skirt breaking

wedge

OK, so i have had my banshee for about 8 months now and i keep breaking pistons skirts, for about the first 2 1/2 months it was fine, and then my top end went on the left cylinder but it didn't break the skirt and it was just one cylinder so i still had one fine piston. I then got a set of pistons off a buddy that were in perfect condition, and then my bottom end went one the left side. so then i bought a motor off ebay, it was almost complete but it was missing the trans gears and some bolts and shit but i had all that from my old motor, so i put the new cylinders, crank and pistons that were bored .040 in and it broke the skirt on the left cylinder, so i put my old cylinders on with the old pistons and it broke one skirt in the right cylinder, then it broke the skirt on the left cylinder. for the winter i decided to take it apart and paint some stuff so i did and then bought some pistons for the bored cylinders, and i also bought a 2 into 1 intake trying to elaminate leaning of one cylinder, so everything was fine for about a month and then the left skirt broke agin, over all i have 5 or 6 broken pistons so i am fed up with it and i am not going to try fixing it untill i find out the problem,

sorry for the long post and thank you for your help

Take the cylinders to a local machine shop, have them honed to the next size to make them straight with proper clearance, and put in a fresh set of Wiseco forged pistons & rings...problem solved and cheaper then buying used pistons here, used topends there and not knowing what condition they are really in. Do it once & do it right and problems will be gratly minimized!

Take the cylinders to a local machine shop, have them honed to the next size to make them straight with proper clearance, and put in a fresh set of Wiseco forged pistons & rings...problem solved and cheaper then buying used pistons here, used topends there and not knowing what condition they are really in. Do it once & do it right and problems will be gratly minimized!

i can try that but i am on a realy tight budget, so i might have to wait a wile, but they were also breaking in stock bore cylinders with pistons that came in it from the factory?

Another thing that may be causing your problem if the ports in the cylinders aren't chamfered the rings can slightly hang up on them which forces the piston to rock against the skirt I have seen this happen on perfectly bored cylinders that the machine shop failed to chamfer. I have also seen a set of wiseco pistons put in cylinders that were worn beyond specs (we were at the glamis dunes and wanted to run one more day) run for 6 months of hard riding all I did was use a stone hone to break the glaze and then chamfered the ports a little more and away we went. I pulled the motor apart after 6 months since it was to hot to ride anyway. I myself was shocked to find perfect pistons. I actually wished I hadn't torn it down I just figured it was beyond the limits. I may be the only person that thinks not chamfering could be the cause but it's worth taking a look at.

You're on a tight budget, but how much money have you spent on used stuff that lasted 2 months. Buy a new wiseco piston kit, have the cylinders bored to match (and make sure the ports get chamfered), and if the crank is bad, buy a new one. A new crank will last at least 5-6 top-ends (prolly more) and a fresh (brand new) top end should last at least a year of consistent riding (2-3 times a month).

EDIT: A wise man once said, "you can go broke saving money." :thumbsup:

Edited by letsgetthisdone

You're on a tight budget, but how much money have you spent on used stuff that lasted 2 months. Buy a new wiseco piston kit, have the cylinders bored to match (and make sure the ports get chamfered), and if the crank is bad, buy a new one. A new crank will last at least 5-6 top-ends (prolly more) and a fresh (brand new) top end should last at least a year of consistent riding (2-3 times a month).

EDIT: A wise man once said, "you can go broke saving money." :thumbsup:

Yep...beat me to it.

Yep...beat me to it.

You guys are right. I had a set of cylinders bored out last year & the machinist assured me that the cylinders did not need to be chamfered... I argued with him & he said to try running it with the fresh bore job/ not chamfer.

It locked up in less than five minutes.

You guys are right. I had a set of cylinders bored out last year & the machinist assured me that the cylinders did not need to be chamfered... I argued with him & he said to try running it with the fresh bore job/ not chamfer.

It locked up in less than five minutes.

hope you sent that bitch back yellin

I am sorry for being off the topic here, BUT David K. what state do you live in to have found a moral like that ???? That is HUGE !!!!!!!

Back to the topic, what pistons were you using ??? It does sound like a chamfer problem like the others have said

Yes, it's the largest one I've ever found. Right here in Ohio, just above Dayton. It was an eleven incher!