Honing Lubrication..?

sgt seth

I'm gettin ready to hone a set of cylinders, picked up a medium grit cylinder hone, 54-110mm three stone hone. My father recommended using normal cylinder hone lube, but I dont really think I need to go that deep into shit. Just wonderin what everyone uses. And is medium grit gonna be too strong for a normal cylinder clean up? Should I buy some new fine pads?

I'm gettin ready to hone a set of cylinders, picked up a medium grit cylinder hone, 54-110mm three stone hone. My father recommended using normal cylinder hone lube, but I dont really think I need to go that deep into shit. Just wonderin what everyone uses. And is medium grit gonna be too strong for a normal cylinder clean up? Should I buy some new fine pads?

Pipe cutting/threading oil should work. a 400 grit stone or slightly smaller is good crosshatch scratch for beakin in new rings. Keep the oil on it heavy though. Have some one squirt it on while you drill save it in a pan with a magnet filter it and re use it.

There are several differnt lubricants you can use when honing. It all depends on the desired surface finish, your equipment, the material you are honing, and the hone tool itself. If you are honing at home with a hand drill on a cast iron cylinder sleeve a hypoid gear oil or Rapid Tap should get the job done. If you are doing something besides that, let me know and I can tell you what to use. :thumbsup:

all the engines I have honed from Big blocks to small blocks and single cylinder engines all I have ever used was transmission fluid and mineral spirits. That is what my teacher in high school told me to use and I have had nothing but good luck with that mixture. Make sure you wash out the cylinder out with dish soap and water.

if your just honing to break the gloss.. you can use pretty much any lubricant... we used to use wd-40 on our go kart motors.... i wouldnt suggest this becase we rebuilt those things every 3 races... but you dont need any thing special... premix would work hell even atf...

all the engines I have honed from Big blocks to small blocks and single cylinder engines all I have ever used was transmission fluid and mineral spirits. That is what my teacher in high school told me to use and I have had nothing but good luck with that mixture. Make sure you wash out the cylinder out with dish soap and water.

Mineral spirits is probably good for remove the ropey finish left by the boring head all the way up to breaking the gloss off of a nicasil'd cylinder. There probably isn't anything wrong with using ATF, but I might worry about some of the newer spec. ATF's and having their detergent package gum up the stones (or cemented carbide). :geek:

if your just honing to break the gloss.. you can use pretty much any lubricant... we used to use wd-40 on our go kart motors.... i wouldnt suggest this becase we rebuilt those things every 3 races... but you dont need any thing special... premix would work hell even atf...

WD 40 would probably be a very good choice for breaking the gloss off a new cylinder. I usually don't reccomend WD40 for anything, but between the previously stated case and lubing a chain for use in the sand, I will have to make an exception.

Like I said before, if you tell me exactly what you are doing, what tools, and machines you are using. I will be happy to recommend a proper lubricant or bath. This is something I have spent a lot of time developing at work and it's one of my hot button topics. :thumbsup:

Yeah, It depends what your doing with the cylinder? If your just breaking a glaze like these guys said wd-40, PB blaster. But if you are taking it to the next size you need something alot better, at the machine shop I work at we use mobil cutting oil in the CK-10 and rod machine. Iam sure you can get cutting oil at any good parts store. And if you are taking the cylinder to the next size alow it to cool and check your size again!

i just had my cylinders honed on friday at my work, which is a Diesel Truck shop.

The mechanic that did mine in our engine shop used 80-90 with some Clean parts washing fluid. he told me that it works as a lube and the parts cleaner gets rid of the residue....

i just had my cylinders honed on friday at my work, which is a Diesel Truck shop.

The mechanic that did mine in our engine shop used 80-90 with some Clean parts washing fluid. he told me that it works as a lube and the parts cleaner gets rid of the residue....

A heavy gear oil with an EP additive makes a surprisingly good ferrous metal cutting fluid in a pinch. :thumbsup:

I just picked up another set of cylinders with a light glaze to them. They have .0007 in taper. max clearance to the new pistons i have is .0042 in.

I am using a corded 1/2 chuck drill with a spring hone. It has the 2 levels on the drill body and i have an angle plate set up to hold the cylinders. I also used WD-40 in an air mister style coolant set up to maintain oil on the stones.

On this set up what would you recommend for lubricant? I was thinking the cutting oil i use in my mill would work.

I just picked up another set of cylinders with a light glaze to them. They have .0007 in taper. max clearance to the new pistons i have is .0042 in.

I am using a corded 1/2 chuck drill with a spring hone. It has the 2 levels on the drill body and i have an angle plate set up to hold the cylinders. I also used WD-40 in an air mister style coolant set up to maintain oil on the stones.

On this set up what would you recommend for lubricant? I was thinking the cutting oil i use in my mill would work.

What is the courseness rating of the stones you are using on the hone? Do you know what type os stones you have (cemented carbide, aluminum oxide, etc.)?

You should be fine with a drill to do the honing. In your case it might be harder to use a mill to do the work IMO.