Which is Better: Twist throttle or Thumb?

BeemerGee

sorry for digging up an old thread. a really comfortable thumb throttle is one off of a raptor 660. they have a nice position and pull feel. we have used these on the yfz450's and its great. ive seen alot of people loop out bikes and quads with a twist throttle. i ve put thumb throttles on all of my dirtbikes and quads. i even put one on my kx500. the thumb throttle im using for that one is from a honda trx450. its got an extra pulley inside that acts like a short throw twist throttle. it feels great and ive never ever looped out the bike, even thru tight technical rocky hill climbs. i hope this info helps someone out there.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its mainly preference... I race both quads and bikes.... on a bike twist throttle is so much easier because you ride with you body. On a quad id never put a twist throttle on, mainly because your just hangin on to the bars when you turn. Maybe try and find a cheap twist throttle of ebay to try it out or something. And arm pump will go away the more you ride and learn to relax :thumbsup:

X2 i agree when i first started to ride my thumb was really sore. I got used to it without having to cut my carb springs or anything. Hand held exercisers for the forearm helped me out. LOL. Twist is good for bikes, not for atv's in my opinion

:headbang:

I have rode a shee with the twist and it wasnt that bad but it was in the dunes the second we hit the trails I got off of my buddies bike and wanted mine back. The twist is nasty in tight spots tring to trun and ending up giving it some gas without knowing isnt too fun

• 1 month later...

Thumb throttles are for 3-4 wheel, ski, hull rigs

Twist is for 2 wheels.

You use your body in different ways on different rigs, but on 2 wheels you don't use turn the bars very much at high speed, you lean. On quads you turn the bars and lean. That makes a twist throttle a poor choice for a quad. Lots of people still rock them, but lots of people still rock trikes too. If all you do is burn down the drag strip, or up the hill, then it really doesn't matter much, but for tight trails and fast dunes the thumb throttle is the way to go.

Before one of you guys scream at me that I don't know how to operate a twist throttle, I have been riding motorcycles since I was 5, and I didn't ride my first sport quad till I was 30. In that time I rode trails, dunes and pavement on bikes, and have owned at least one bike for the past 20 years, so I am well schooled on how a twist throttle works.

I had a twist on a Warrior I used to have..Several time it about got away from me from hittin a little bump and my wrist twisting down pinnin that fucker wide open. I personally wouldnt recommend a twist throttle on a quad..Too risky..But to each his own.

• 11 months later...

My friend had a twist on his blaster a few years back, he was undecided on which he preferred. I hated it in fast turns I hit a bump and almost lost it once and refused to ride it again lol the weird thing I noticed from riding my friends shee w/ thumb throttle was that I would get serious arm pump, only in my left arm and I barely used the clutch at all..

• 3 months later...

Hi guys, i want to know what do the pro's use, cause i get told not to change to twist cause its dangerous.

But when i'm out racing for hours my thumb feels like it's going to fall off, and my complete left side of my body is numb.

What do you use on your shee's?

moose makes a combination of the two. you pull a pin and goes from thumb to twist.