Guess my Dyno

ojcool

It's a dynojet.

A little background. The guy who originally built this shop John Sealock builit it to tune fuel injected cars. He was the first guy in this area to have a full stand alone data aquisition system. When I say full stand alone, it's not like these guys who use raptors or whatever to tap into the cars PCM and datalog stock sensors. This shop has all the sensor separate and a stand alone system with LabTech software to log it. You can log ANYTHING you want. A typical setup on a car would be arranged like this.

2000 mustang with vortec blower

2 wideband a/f O2 sensors in bungs that we would weld into the header collectors

1 boost sensors plumbed in right after the blower

1 exhaust temperature sensor

1 intake temperature sensor

1 Mass air meter data log sensor

1 fuel pressure sensor

We would make a couple baseline pulls to see where we were with the a/f ratio and see what kind of numbers it would put up.

Then the tuning would begin. Tune for a/f ratio first then for power. This would involve alot of timing changes to see what affect it would have on the a/f and power numbers. That is how you really tune an engine for safety as well as power. It's amazing how much one degree of timing can change these reading. It's was also really eye opening to see how crappy a car would be tuned coming out of another shop who is just guessing.

9 times out of 10 a car with this setup would be pegging the mass air meter and causing a ton of driveability problems. With just some MASS air transfer function changes most problems could be eliminated.

Its really cool to be able to SEE where the problem is with what sensor ect. I can't wait to get a look at the A/F ratios on the banshee vs the RPM to see exactly where it's lean, or rich ect. Not to mention just seeing where a change like needle position affects the a/f ratio and where on the RPM is does so.

I am excited to get a chance to really tune one. I'll bet I can get a TON of drivability improvement with some fuel mixture changes. This is where a dial a jet (if it worked good) would be really helpful.

The only thing that sucks about the banshee is it's a pain to make any timing changes mechanically. I wish I had a programmable CDI, it would open the door to alot of power improvement.

• Replies 342
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Chassis dyno are great for sorting out your the tune of your carburetors. As for the programable CDI, what I have found with mine is that once you get your timing curve pretty close to where it needs to be, the chassis dyno probably will not have enough fidelity to tell you if any fine tuning you may do makes a difference or not. Of course if you were to make alot more power, say more than a 100hp, then it may be a different story. :thumbsup:

Um...ok...yeah, so..... What did the banshee make on the dyno???

I'd put my bet at 50HP or so, give or take a couple ponies. The porting really is the factor, and how much was done...

Ummm...ok...yeah, so.... What exactly do you get out of demeaning people all the time? I did not get to dyno last weekend because we got a bunch of snow. Hopefully it will happen this weekend. I'll keep you posted, I'll post up the results with the a/f ratios ect.... I'm sure nothing would make you happier than to have my bike blow up on the dyno so I'll try to tune it on the edge.

Ummm...ok...yeah, so.... What exactly do you get out of demeaning people all the time? I did not get to dyno last weekend because we got a bunch of snow. Hopefully it will happen this weekend. I'll keep you posted, I'll post up the results with the a/f ratios ect.... I'm sure nothing would make you happier than to have my bike blow up on the dyno so I'll try to tune it on the edge.

take a deep breath and chill OJ i dont think dave ment it like that ... it sounds to me like he ment ok for the shop facts we want to know the dyno results... shop facts dont mean anything when it comes to your bikes hp...

from my experiance with him and im sure others can vouch that he is the last guy to hope some dude bike blows up on him ...

cool it brosiff

take a deep breath and chill OJ i dont think dave ment it like that ... it sounds to me like he ment ok for the shop facts we want to know the dyno results... shop facts dont mean anything when it comes to your bikes hp...

from my experiance with him and im sure others can vouch that he is the last guy to hope some dude bike blows up on him ...

cool it brosiff

\Word. :thumbsup: Dave is a good guy. I don't think he was beating you up in this case.

I'm strapping the banshee down this weeked. Everyone guess what I will make.

.080 over with Wiseco's

19cc domes

+4 timing

Unifilter in stock box no lid

LRD pipes (adjustable set for hi rev)

Trail Port (no port timing changes)

SRP cages with Boyseen reeds

Stock carbs

Got 330's in it with 30 pilots (Ill also post the a/f ratios vs RPM) If its rich I'll lean on it to around 12:1 A/F ratio

What gear do you guys usually make your pulls in?

If I make 47hp I'll be happy.

You'll make 50 easy. I put mine on a dyno last friday with no break in time (I had no choice in order to get it jetted and ready for the weekend/I wouldnt advise that for anyone and its very nerveracking) and I pulled off a 51hp w/ 34 ft/lbs of torque. I dont have the cool head or any type of porting and when I had the stockers in I was only at 280 w/ 25 pilots. So I'd say your somewhere around 55-60 depending on the quality of the port.

Not demeaning at all...I'm just trying to figure out how this thread went from my banshee on a dyno to a car this, car that....that's all...

And no...I don't hope it blows up...why would I want that? (then you'd just be asking more questions on here...LOL)

Just a JOKE, Stu....unwad the panties now.

Just curious to see what kinda numbers it pulls, that's all... different dynos and different readings will vary, that's all.

Perfect example. I pulled 84.8 out of my 4 mil cub on stock carbs and T5 pipes. stock ignition, advanced to 12 deg....race fuel.

I sold my cylinders and crank to a fellow member, he put shearer inframes, 39PWKs on it and dyno'd just above 80....on a "known" stingy dyno.

He's in Cali, I'm in MI...and our temps and elevations are similar (at the time I made my run) ...so, I was just curious as to what it pulled...that's all.

I've always said tuning on a dyno is a great idea to get a baseline as well as compare mods....

(I'll still stick to reading plugs even after the dyno though, just to be safe...LOL)

Good Luck...

:thumbsup:

Not demeaning at all...I'm just trying to figure out how this thread went from my banshee on a dyno to a car this, car that....that's all...

And no...I don't hope it blows up...why would I want that? (then you'd just be asking more questions on here...LOL)

Just curious to see what kinda numbers it pulls, that's all... different dynos and different readings will vary, that's all.

Perfect example. I pulled 84.8 out of my 4 mil cub on stock carbs and T5 pipes. stock ignition, advanced to 12 deg....race fuel.

I sold my cylinders and crank to a fellow member, he put shearer inframes, 39PWKs on it and dyno'd just above 80....on a "known" stingy dyno.

He's in Cali, I'm in MI...and our temps and elevations are similar (at the time I made my run) ...so, I was just curious as to what it pulled...that's all.

I've always said tuning on a dyno is a great idea to get a baseline as well as compare mods....

(I'll still stick to reading plugs even after the dyno though, just to be safe...LOL)

Good Luck...

I think a dyno provides more than that, even. People that have dyno's have most likely dyno'd tons and tons of bikes that are setup very similar to yours, so it's nice to have that historical data for reference as well. Now, comparing 2 different dynos is where things can get fuzzy.

It was nice to open my runfile from my 4mm stock cylinder duner motor and compare to my 4mm cub on the same plot. I also compared it to 2 or 3 other identical motors to mine and they were all within a couple of HP of each other.

If you get your bike dyno'd on a dynojet, get the runfile and save it to a CD or something somewhere. You can download the software from dynojet to look at your plots, so if you have other runs from a prior dyno session from the same shop, you have those to compare with each other.

Yer motor should probably be close to 60HP, I'm guessing.....

You'll make 50 easy. I put mine on a dyno last friday with no break in time (I had no choice in order to get it jetted and ready for the weekend/I wouldnt advise that for anyone and its very nerveracking) and I pulled off a 51hp w/ 34 ft/lbs of torque.

Reallly...............? Why donm't you reccomend it?

I have broken every motor I have built in the last five years on a dyno. Everyone in the racing business also run their engines on dyno's before they make it into a vehicle. Every OEM vehicle manufacturer from ATV's, to personal watercraft, to whoever built the car that you drive brake their engine in on a dyno. :thumbsup:

Reallly...............? Why donm't you reccomend it?

I have broken every motor I have built in the last five years on a dyno. Everyone in the racing business also run their engines on dyno's before they make it into a vehicle. Every OEM vehicle manufacturer from ATV's, to personal watercraft, to whoever built the car that you drive brake their engine in on a dyno. :thumbsup:

You didnt even start it up before it got on the dyno? Mine never ran til it was strapped down. Would have been a bad time to figure out I forgot something. But I had no choice since I didnt have big enough jets to even try to start it. I dont have any local bike shops where I can get parts, I have to drive at least an hour to get to any or order them online.

Good Luck...

Of course YOU got more power out of it than the guy you sold it to. You saved the day again. I wrote about how a car was tuned at this shop to illustrate how the tuning process works there. I feel its relevant.

You didnt even start it up before it got on the dyno? Mine never ran til it was strapped down. Would have been a bad time to figure out I forgot something. But I had no choice since I didnt have big enough jets to even try to start it. I dont have any local bike shops where I can get parts, I have to drive at least an hour to get to any or order them online.

I don't know anyone one who intends on braking an engine in on a dyno who starts them up elsewhere first. It sounds you had sort of a unique situation/experience though. :thumbsup:

I don't know anyone one who intends on braking an engine in on a dyno who starts them up elsewhere first. It sounds you had sort of a unique situation/experience though. :thumbsup:

I was mainly just surprized my machine put out what it did with all the major changes that I did. Last time I ran it was back in October for a race and it was missing on one cylinder. I tore it down to find two holes in both intakes that was allowing sand in the cyliders and that I was retarded when I was mixing my gas and was mixing it WAAAAAAAY too strong (gummed up the rings and they stuck). So I had sand streaks on my pistons and cylinders that made me have to have it bored. I was going to have to replace both intakes and I figured since both of my stock carbs were worn out I'd just go ahead and try and get a 2 into 1 setup. Well 4 months later I finally was able to get one and got it 3 days before my race. I had a rough estimate given on what jets to start off with to see if I would be able to start it before i had it put on the dyno. I found out when I got 2 days before my race, it I didnt have a big enough pilot or main. I called a guy I knew that I get my stuff from and tried to get in his shop to get on the dyno and he said he didnt have an opening til the following tuesday. So I while I was trying to figure out how I was going to make the race in two days with no way to get jets (the guy I called is 3 hours away and no one in this town or within an hour has any type of parts I need), I just pit it together. About 10 minutes before I finished I got a call back that a guy canceled his dyno and they would be able to get me in on friday (the next day). So I took it up there, put the jets in they said and worked from there.

Long Story made short, I didnt think I was going to be able to make the race and it had been 4 months since I had dont any work on my quad that was in about 70 different pieces, but like domino's everything fell right into place and it all worked out and was a cool experience along with great results on the computer. My machine is a woods quad so I'm sitting at just the right HP for my type of riding.