Somebody explain XC/GNCC racing to me!

Skithis

Hi,

I just bought a 2002 banshee. Its got pro circuit pipes, K&N, handguards, and holeshots. I would like to race some cross country races strictly for fun. I dont really plan on being too competitive. Im thinking about hitting the last round of the GNCC series in Indiana. What do i have to have to race a GNCC? Are their any other cross country series around southern MI or northern IN?

my list so far goes like this:

Im going to ditch the airbox and stock style K&N for a set of pods and outerwears

New holeshots before the race, probably the GNCC versions

head will be shaved by then

I will need motocross boots i would imagine. What about a chest protector?

What about things like number plates? I know nothing about ATV number plates.

tear offs?

I guess im just not sure about a lot of things in the ATV racing scene. What about fueling up? I assume i wont be able to run 2 hours on one tank of gas?

First I would not run pods in a gncc race. They are notorious for being very muddy often, and you will want that airbox if there is any water at all.

I don't believe you have to have # plates in gncc racing but I'm more used to another xc series. I think they put a sticker with a barcode on your helmet and scan your helmet at each checkpoint, but I'm not sure on that one.

For fuel, I'm not sure how the banshee will do. But one of my buddies used to fill up a gallon milk jug with fuel before he bought an oversize tank on his yfz450. The milk jug allows you to quickly squeeze the gas into the tank, much quicker than just using a regular gas can.

If you can, have someone else in your pit to fuel your quad up. When you stop have some water handy and have another pair of goggles to swap when you do fill up, good idea to also have a towel to wipe off your face.

You will want a camelback or some type of hydration system to drink water while you ride, they are available at Wal-mart and any outdoor or sporting goods store.

You will want lots of tearoffs, the chest protector is a good idea.

You will need a tether kill switch.

I believe the rules state you must have boots with ankle protection, long sleeve shirt and pants, helmet, goggles, gloves and a tether. The gear doesn't have to be MX boots or pants etc according to the rules....but that is what you should use for your safety.

Also, practice dead engine starts a lot. Remember, you never have the opportunity to get ahead of 20 guys at once after the first corner.

If you practice a lot you will get good enough at it that you can have the bike in 2nd gear, kick it over and let the clutch out while you are in the middle of your kick. A good rider can get a faster start with a kick start bike than the electric start ones.

I race XC locally here in Indiana. Where do you live?

I go to the iroman every year.

Its always really muddy. I suggest leave the airbox on and lid, good set of tires, full skids, Nerfs are your prefrence. I like them. I would put screen of some sort over your radiator for the start and maybe 15 mins after that. Something duct tapped on so you can year it off. It gets pretty crazy at the start. Work on your dead engine starts. I always Put it in 1st gear held the clutch in and gas at 1/4 throttle. When the flagged droped I would kick it over and the machine would be revving when I dumped the clutch.

Got anymore quetions let me know. :beer:

Good advice guys. Holeshots are pretty key on keeping a good spot. Also work on your cornering and set your suspension accoringly. Stock suspension sucks but it still has adjustments. Boots and a chest protector are a good Idea and are called for you dont have to worry about number plates but get a teather/killswitch if you dont have one forget about racing. They are relitivly inexpensive and they are a good idea anyway.

Yah, Im planning on racing the ironman in October. Full skid plates, does it get that gnarly on shit?

YES!!! XC races are NASTY. One of my best friends raced A class in the AWRCS series last year, he is swithching to PRO this year. He probably broke more parts from hitting trees and crap than he did in about 5 years of racing MX combined.

Yah, Im planning on racing the ironman in October. Full skid plates, does it get that gnarly on shit?

Ya its a pretty nasty race. Ruts get very deep get ready to be on 2 wheel part of the time getting around the track. Also be careful of the water crossings 1st lap isn't too bad but the rest are hell. Also I would stay aeay from the 1st year racer class. they are nuts

What do you mean by that? They cant ride...lol Ive been riding things with handlebars for almost my whole life, it was kind of a natural transition for me. But i dont want to be bottlenecked up with a bunch of people who cant ride.

No what I am saying I think last time there was 70 PPL in that class and most of them are freakin insane ppl that want to try ot win instead of being consistent. Nothing wrong with that but I would never go in that class. Just a bunch of nutty rookies lol.

• 1 month later...

I think the biggest key to racing a banshee for two hours straight is your physical conditioning. After setting my banshee up and racing it, I concluded it was time for a 450. It wore me right out. Some recommendations for gncc racing that i've noticed that hasnt been mentioned yet like having a airbox and suspension is good wheels and tires. You will see alot of flats. Beadlocks may be a good idea. I prefer the roll off goggles. That way you dont mistakenly rip all your tear offs from your goggles. Gear would recommend at least boots, goggles, gloves helmet, and chest protector in case you crash. Get used to hauling ass through tight woods and large rock sections on a banshee. to alleviate some fatigue while racing, I filled my camelback with cytomax (spelling?) it is sold at gnc stores. Will help you get through the race. And oh yeah make sure you have a coller full of beer for after....you will need it!

Hi,

I just bought a 2002 banshee. Its got pro circuit pipes, K&N, handguards, and holeshots. I would like to race some cross country races strictly for fun. I dont really plan on being too competitive. Im thinking about hitting the last round of the GNCC series in Indiana. What do i have to have to race a GNCC? Are their any other cross country series around southern MI or northern IN?

my list so far goes like this:

Im going to ditch the airbox and stock style K&N for a set of pods and outerwears

New holeshots before the race, probably the GNCC versions

head will be shaved by then

I will need motocross boots i would imagine. What about a chest protector?

What about things like number plates? I know nothing about ATV number plates.

tear offs?

I guess im just not sure about a lot of things in the ATV racing scene. What about fueling up? I assume i wont be able to run 2 hours on one tank of gas?

I raced over two years on a banshee in harescrambes in Fl. Your stock gas tank is no good with bigger jets. Clamp on pods will be fine unless there is deep water. I used the toomey 2 into 1. Boots are a must and tear offs. Get good grips and gloves. 22inch tires up front. My biggest improvment I noticed was the -1 swingarm and sending my rear shock to shane. The bike turned alot easier around trees. Dont worry so much about increasing power. Put your money into shocks. My chest protector gets abused by tree limbs and rocks. I also see alot of people without them. The next thing you should buy is a steering stabilizer. This will alow you to go back to work monday. A good 100oz camelbak since your first race.