Somebody explain XC/GNCC racing to me!

Skithis

Alot of guys don't run nerf bars cause most of the race is single file, there's not alot of side by side racing except for the first few turns on the opening lap. After you get past the first coupla laps your on a trail thats just a little wider than your quad. Nerfs are there to protect you from another quads wheels getting between your wheels. Most passes on a XC race are controlled passes.... meaning this.... if a faster rider comes up behind you, he will holler at you, literaly hoot and holler at you. You should find a safe spot along the trail to let him past you. I hear alot of guys say "I'll holler three times at a slower rider and if he still doesnt get out of the way, he's getting rammed off the trail." And they'll ram ya. Now if a guy in your class is on your tail and your racing him, then race the bastard and make him earn it to get around you. But don't hold up the faster racers. thats how it works. And back to the nerf bars subject, since only 5% of the race is side by side racing, the nerf bars are useless. The thought is.... nerf bars are just another thing that can stop your race, if they fall off or break or get caught in any of the 1000 obstacles in the race. And you'll be stopped on the track a few times, because you'll get stuck in mud, on a rock or root or you'll run into a bottleneck of racers, or whatever and its nice to be able to take your feet off your pegs and push the ground to back up, instead of hopping off the quad and grabbing it by the grab bar. The champ, Bill Ballance uses nerfs, the second fastest racer chris Borich never uses nerfs.

And this here is copy and pasted right from GNCC.com

About GNCC Racing:

The AMA/ATVA-sanctioned Can-Am Grand National Cross Country series is America

• 5 months later...

I have never- ever ever ever seen a banshee finish well in a GNCC event. Local small events they may finish. I wouldn't entertain the idea of racing a Banshee at the bigger challenging races- Steele Creek, Iron Man, Unadilla, Wisp, Snow Shoe. GNCC is based on 46"- that is exactly what some sections are. They just can't get the suspention travel with the shorter width and the rake is horrible so the front end just bounces around. If your not a conditioned GNCC rider- you better have nerf bars. The only people who can run without them are tried and trued 2 hour plus riders that can stand or constantly apply pressure to your pegs for 2 hours straight (you will bounce off the pegs). If you are not a front runner- you will be getting T-boned as well, so it's nice to have the extra protection.

What you need:

Soft suspension

Good tires

lean jetting

high octane race fuel to keep it cool

good coverage bumpers

skid plates

tether switch

protective gear

4 sets of goggle, or tear off/roll off goggles 2 pair

Extra gas- 4 gallon tank or just refuel after 3rd lap

A honda or a lot of prayer