Has the Banshee just outlived its time? XC/HS

banskie

Just from my experience in the organization I race with on the state level, I couldnt race near the race I am on a 4 stroke as compared to my banshee. Yes, I got my banshee b/c it was what I could afford (practically brand new for 2,500) at the time. I've tried taking a 450r and a yfz around the track and I couldnt hand it back to the owner fast enough. I believe about 90 percent of what Meat said in that you will see all of the top pro's on a 4 stroke plain and simple. Part of the reason is because as of 2006 thats is all that is being made and partly because the banshee does take so much more effort to ride at that level (and lets not forget about the no fan part). But in my first year of racing and the 5 races I did, I placed 9th in my first race (lost the skirt on a piston), DNF (clipped a rock and bent my steering stabilizer where I couldnt make a right turn), 4th, 4th, and 1st (I was the only 2 stroke on the track and passed every rider in every class but the pro's). This is why I dont believe its time is up yet. You can still be competitive on one but you have to work alot harder at it. But I will say this, I get alot less flack now from my fellow riders about my banshee than before my first race. All in all it comes down to the same two things everything else in life does, comfort... and money, what do you like and what can you afford. 4 strokes riders swear by theirs, and 2 strokes swear by theirs. Who knows, if my first quad had been a 4 stroke, maybe I'd be completely left winged, but thank goodness I wasnt because my banshee is just way too much fun :biggrin: .

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

thats cool and it's definitely a "to each their own" kind of deal. I raced my banshee for awhile and have been racing my 450r for awhile and it's night and day for me on the thumper. I can lug it and rev it a lot more and eliminate the constant shifting that's needed to keep it in the power. Not too mention, with good suspension, I have 12" of travel up front and 11" in back which helps with the bump soaking. If you like and prefer your banshee, then that's definitely what you should be on, in the end it's all about our own personal preferences and what makes it fun for us. Before I got my 450, I swore I'd never make the switch, but I finally gave in and now can't believe it took me so long.

You are right tho about the pros using currently available models and all. I do think they'd still be on the 450's without a question tho, in fact, they're the ones that sort of help move it with the old hybrid 450's but still, they're going to run what the mfg's who pay the bill tell them to. They could probably beat me riding a blaster.

Race.jpg

Edited by sredish

Washburn, I understad what your saying totally. But, racing is more than just fun, it's trying to win and it's using everything available to help. The newer four strokes give faster times and do it more consistently, just what it is... nothing to do with the fun factor. I agree that 2 strokes in general are more fun, provide more "hit" but that hit can work against you, especially in the woods. Not to mention the advancements in suspension.

Rite, I am by nature a competitive person espically in races. If I was just in it for fun I would slap on some cheap A-Arms and some YFZ or ole works style suspention but Im spending all of this money to compete. Im just realistic about it. I weight more I have a bad leg and I dont have the years of practice and unlimited sponcership the pro riders do but that doesnt mean I cant be competitive on a Banshee. If I wanted to have a machine that would do half of th work for me I would get a 450r but that cuts from the fun factor if you ask me There are some tough spots for any 2 stroke vs a 4 stroke but with enough time on the bike and in those situations you can cut your time. Any racer should be in shape so fatiuge shouldnt play that big of a role. Sure your sore at the end of the day at night and the next morning can be a bitch but thats part of it. At the end of the day as long as Im covered in mud and I did my best to finish the race Im happy but I prefer racing on a Banshee. Will that change who knows life changes all of the time but for now mst of my free time and my extra spending cash will be put into the ultimate woods racing Banshee.

And $20.00 on the new Clutch album. It rocks so damn hard!

Edited by Washburn

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, well after snapping a tie rod at the last hare scramble I now have an 06 YFZ 450 that I have borrowed from my buddy. First of all.... WTF!??! Its probably the fact that I was so used to the overall feel of the Shee, but good lord I could not handle this bike for shit. I could not react on the controls or steer worth a damn, and the suspension was jarring me all over the trails. Some things i liked were the low end response and the overall stability, but good lord did I ever suck at the last race. Im going to stick with it and see if i can get used to this bike, but after reading everyones feedback it made sense that i at least try a 4 stroke.

k, i waited awhile to give my opinion but here goes.

The Banshee's time as a legitamate cross country race machine was over eight years ago, in 1999 when the 400ex came out. Even before that, the vast majority of racers still did NOT race Banshees, Banshee's were NEVER good at XC when you compare them with other quads.

The GNCC series is the Cross Country Nationals and NO ONE HERE on this forum is racing thier Banshee's at a GNCC event if they are racing the series for points. The GNCC races are held all up and down the east coast, and yea you'll see one MAYBE two local guys bring out thier Banshees and race the GNCC, but no one is doing the GNCC series on a Banshee. The last guy to race the whole series on a Banshee was Mike Lucas, who a local Pa racer, and Mike did pretty good in the Open A class. But frankly there's no competition in that class and Mike switched to a YFZ450 in 2004, Mike now races in the Pro-am class which is the second fastest class behind the Pro class. I bought my Banshee frame from from Mike. If you'd attend a GNCC race, you will see 6 or 7 hundred YFZ's, TRX's, and every other sport quad and Utility racing quads.... and if you see two Banshees racing.... out of 600+ GNCC racers, you'd be lucky. GNCC races are known to have a few races that are entire mud-fests and every GNCC\XC race has atleast 2 very big mudhole sections. The Banshees are terrible in deep mudholes, they overheat easier, they don't have the 4 stroke torque in the mud, and the powerband is not mudhole freindly.

At the smaller local level, you'll see more Banshees and I'll gaurentee ya that the guys racing on the Banshee's only do so because they are new to racing and\or its the only quad they own. There is NO advantage to running a Banshee in a harescramble or XC race. The 4 strokes will win everytime. Even with less experienced riders, the new 4 strokes are faster on a XC course.

The ATV racing scene is VERY different than the Banshee scene. Its a whole different world. Any XC racer that is racing a XC series competitivly, has prolly never even rode a Banshee.

I agree and disagree with some of these statements.I think the banshee is definitely and outcast in the XC world,but that doesn't mean it can't win.The only quad I've ever owned were banshees.If you know how to ride them and set them up,they can still be competitive.They will never handle like a TRX or YFZ,but if you have never had anything else to compare to you don't know any better.If your just starting out,then it would be a good idea to go with a 4 stroke, but hard core old school banshee know still know how to get it done!

As for mudholes and such,if theres enough room to "walk on water",thats the plan.I've tried it on some newer 4 strokes and the power just doesn't come on right.On the banshee a 20-30ft washout leaves only a rainforest mist in its wake.

I still run XC on lower level competition on occassion and I run shaved fenders front and rear.I don't go out there to become champion on the banshee,but theres nothing better than besting 4strokes that have big$$$ invested into them.

A good friend of mine still pulls his out for MX and can still spank the competition on the right tracks.

I could probably be so much faster on a TRX but I don't think I would have as much fun. Thats all that I look for,If I happen to find my way to the front,thats just a bonus.

• 4 weeks later...

First off I don't race. honestly I don't know how people can race in a series every weekend unless there unemployed bums with no other responsibilities. second I do know that the YFZ is horrible in the trails my bone stock z400 wiped passed my buddy's YFZ with no problem. I have ridden a stock 450r and I think the overall top speed is about the same, the 450r had more bottom end. I know that the banshee could hang with it all day long with no problems. The banshee is a hell of a lot easier to get more performance out of than any 450, there's tons of potential in the banshee motor. with a four stroke you got valves timing and a whole bunch of stuff that is insanely complicated. in my opinion for just trail riding and dragging my buddy's my banshee is the best. the 2-stroke is just simple and simple is good.

I don't think the banshee can out live its time, take the trx 250r its just a matter of time until the banshee is just as sought after.

my 2 cents...

First off I don't race. honestly I don't know how people can race in a series every weekend unless there unemployed bums with no other responsibilities. second I do know that the YFZ is horrible in the trails my bone stock z400 wiped passed my buddy's YFZ with no problem. I have ridden a stock 450r and I think the overall top speed is about the same, the 450r had more bottom end. I know that the banshee could hang with it all day long with no problems. The banshee is a hell of a lot easier to get more performance out of than any 450, there's tons of potential in the banshee motor. with a four stroke you got valves timing and a whole bunch of stuff that is insanely complicated. in my opinion for just trail riding and dragging my buddy's my banshee is the best. the 2-stroke is just simple and simple is good.

I don't think the banshee can out live its time, take the trx 250r its just a matter of time until the banshee is just as sought after.

my 2 cents...

AM RITE THERE WITH YOU BUDDY I RIDE WITH NOTTING but four pokes and i dont see them in the trails its just about knowing how to handle your shee.its all rider related.

• 2 weeks later...

My buddy has a Banshee and races XC with it. He has Roll Design arms and Roll Honda style swingarm. Plus 2 on the front and plus 1 on the back. Custom axis shocks front and rear. This bike handles great in the trees. Im used to a 2 stroke as I race a Honda 250r and I love riding his bike. It does take some skill to keep the bike at the right RPM level to make it work but I love 2 strokes. I also have a 450r that I race and the new 4 strokes are much easier to ride. The Banshees take more "rider" input to make them work properly but you can win or do well on them.

Banshee Fire - "honestly I don't know how people can race in a series every weekend unless there unemployed bums with no other responsibilities."

I race 2 series atleast 3 weekends a month. I do get 2 months off mid summer. I have very good reposibility and work hard. I travel to the race saturday morning and get back saturdasy night. Sometimes I race sunday I also have to go to work sunday nights. I come home monday from work and sleep all day. Go to work Monday night I then get home tuesday sleep for a few and start to get my quad reay for next week. ECT ECT ECT. I am contently busy between work, home, quads.

Anyways I raced a banshee 2 years. I could keep my own got alot of top ten finishes. Then my GF bought a KFX400 and said If I wanted try it in a race and see how I like it. OMG it was crazy. I never got arm pump or felt fatiged in a 1 hr 30 mins race. So Shortly after I went out and bought another 4-poke. So much better to race IMO. I used to be all 2 stroke this 2 stroke that but go ride a 4 poke and race it/ride realyl hard for hours onend and let me know what you think.

• 1 month later...

I am curious. Almost ALL of my quad experience is Desert and Dunes.

I am going to be moving back east soon. Northeast i think.

How do they calssify amateur riders and their bikes?

When i move back east i am keeping my Shee and the hybrid that i am building

I think that my hybrid will be a good XC bike to Race.

but what would they do with a Banshee engine in a different chassis?

Would i even be able to race it?