twist vs. thumb

jmkapala

I recently got my first shee and before i even got to "ride" her she needed new carb caps, a new throttle cable an some new grips. So I went down to my local parts house and picked up a new twist grip style everything. It came w/ the caps, a stainless throttle cable, and obviously the twist grip. The reason I did this is because all my life I've been on bikes.....mostly rockets, so all I'e ever known is twist.

Did I make a mistake? Should I have left the thumb throttle on it? Isn't the twist gonna be more "fluid" than a thumb throttle?

Who has run both.....can you tell me the difference? :banghead: :banghead:

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would go with a thumb throtle over a twist on a quad. On a dirtbike twist all the way.

I have never riden a quad with twist throtle so I cant compare them. I quad is nothing like riding a dirtbike.

I cant even think of how to explane the to with out making all kinds of hand movement and typing for 2 hours. Somebody will chim in soon for me.

I tried putting a twist throttle on my warrior a long time ago and didnt like it in the least.

From my experience, i would rather have a thumb on a quad.

I use my arms more with my quad than with my bikes and it was just cumbersome for me.

This is just my opinion but the twist throttle just feels natural on a 2 wheeler.

Go ahead and try it out. You may actually prefer it.

:beer:

I have a twist on my '05 and a thumb on my '99 banshee's. I like both. I, like you, only had the experiance with twist throtles. If you are going to be doing mostly duning I would go with the twist, if you are going to do alot of riding on a MX track I would go with the thumb throttle, or some trials with tight turns I might go with the thumb. It all depends on what type of riding you're going to be doing.

I have a twist on my '05 and a thumb on my '99 banshee's. I like both. I, like you, only had the experiance with twist throtles. If you are going to be doing mostly duning I would go with the twist, if you are going to do alot of riding on a MX track I would go with the thumb throttle, or some trials with tight turns I might go with the thumb. It all depends on what type of riding you're going to be doing.

i hate when i bought mine it has tist on it i bout illed my self i hate twist.. i been looking for a thumb throttle but havent found any i like

I love the twist throttle better, I bought the Turbo Twist, where it's 1/4 turn to wide open. I like it a lot better for trails, because I'm not sore at the end of the day, I liked it so much, I put them on both my bikes. With thte thumb throttle, I would always be jambing my thumb, or it would just be friggin' sore. The twist, especially the turbo twist takes some getting used to, it is a little easier to gas it accidentally out of turns, but once I got used to it, I liked it a lot better. Buy one used and give it a shot.

i don't have much experience with twist throttles other than the one that was on my old 89 kx 80. i didn't like it because when the front end comes up you pull on the handle bars which opens the throttle. my problem is lack of experience with twist throttles. although i may put the twist throttle on my blaster.

I like the twist. All Ive had are twist on my first kx80 and my first banshee after. then it got stolen and i got a four choke from a friend because it was free and it had a thumb. I jammed my thumb alot and it got tired. when I got my newest shee,. I got a twist tors elim kit and I love it. Ive almost gotten fuct a few times in turns and hills and once on a cypress stump I didnt see hit the outside of one of my front tires and jerked my bars to one side really hard and throttle went WIDE open. almost went right off track into a tree but saved it in time. Ive gotten used to it more and more though after a half dozen 1-2 hour sessions I havent had any problems. Was just used to the thumb on the four choke I was ridin for a while. I think most people prefer thumbs though.

I have ran a twist on my Banshee for 6 years and will not run a thumb any more. It worked well when I raced X Country and Moto-X. Now I just ride trails and dunes and still love it. 1/4 turn and you are wide open. It helps with arm pump, and it will keep most people from wanting to ride it cause you run a twist. But just be careful at first especially if you start getting really tired like in a race you can wind up on your ass really quick.

Hell, I have a brand new vortex twist and cable for a shee. I tryed the twist on a couple of rides and when my 4mill started making power and the tires hooked up I found myself trying to hang on. I felt that trying to clutch shift and twist under full power was too much for me. I feel I have a better grip with the thumb throttle, but thats just my thoughts on it. I will sell the complete twist and cable for 50.00 shipped. :beer:

i love my twist on the 350 its bad ass i can control the throttle in any position i want and helps alot with arm pump and ur thumb cramping up, Im sure ull enjoy it