2 into 1 jetting

Alright...I'm trying to get my trail bike to idle right, it seems like it's lean but don't know for sure; here's what's happening. I'll pull the choke and fire it up and it runs, but the left side is heating up quicker and the right side is spitting a little oil out the pipe, and doesn't seem to fire as smooth as the left side. When I push the choke off, it wants to die. To me, that sounds like it's lean, but why the oil spitting out of the right pipe? I would think it's rich, but the fact that the choke being out makes it run better, leads me to believe its lean. LOL, I don't know WTF is happening...this is my first run at jetting a 2 into 1 setup, I'm almost tempted to can it and go back to duals. I've ruled out compression and the coil, reeds are brand spankin new, as well as all gaskets.

I've got level 1 ported cylinders (comparable to a woods port)

T5's

2 into 1 w/38mm keihin PJ carb w/K&N clamp on filter - 55 pilot, 210 main to start with

I'm around 400 ft elevation

What are your thoughts? I've got a bag of jets coming, and figured I would see what you all think I should do before I tear into the jetting. If there's any details I left out, let me know

Thanks for any help :notworthy:

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks! I just went out there and sprayed around the intakes, etc. and didn't hear any change so I'm assuming there's no leak there...I'll get the stuff together to do a leak down test tomorrow and check it too.

I have a 45 and 50 pilot on hand to try, I was just planning on waiting until I got all the jets I should need before messing with it.

Has anyone had a problem similar to this one? Other than a seal or gasket, could the jetting alone cause one cylinder to run different than the other? Like I said before, 2 into 1 setups are totally new to me and I had a feeling this wasn't going to be easy, lol

Also, the oil mixture is 32:1, klotz super techniplate - 93 octane gas

Any opinions are greatly appreciated :beer:

The needle is the only thing I'm unsure of; I never bothered to pull it out and check it. I plan to pull it out this weekend though just for knowledge sake. All 4 reed petals are flush against the cages, I was sure to check that when I replaced them.

Could the needle affect idling though? My buddy had mentioned something about maybe my main being fat was causing a problem, but the main doesn't have an affect on idling, I was under the impression the pilot jet along with the air screw were the only things that affect idle. And when the needle is seated nothing should come out of the main jet, right?

Thanks for the help :beer:

The right side crank seal could be letting tranny oil into that right side cylinder. A leakdown test will prolly tell ya.

If the right cranks seal is blown you should be able to pull the plug and it will look perma baked if it has tranny oil on it.

Did you try new plugs?

What about compression?

Was it running ok before putting the 2 into 1 on it?

Is this an old setup with a new carb?

If the right cranks seal is blown you should be able to pull the plug and it will look perma baked if it has tranny oil on it.

Did you try new plugs?

What about compression?

Was it running ok before putting the 2 into 1 on it?

Is this an old setup with a new carb?

Yes, new plugs, compression is perfect in both cylinders as mentioned before (159 psi), this is a fresh rebuild from the bottom end up. I've never run a 2 into 1 carb before. I changed everything on this rebuild so all parts are new. Cylinders are new, head is new, reeds are new, carb and intake is new, crank is new, all cranks seals and gaskets are new....so it's not an old setup with a new carb...it's a completely new setup

Try a 50 pilot, 190 main, and 3rd clip on a dek or eek needle. Air screw about 2 turns out and go from there on the jetting. I have similar mods and I'm running a 48 pilot, 185 main, dek on 3rd clip and 1 turn out on the air screw. I also still have my airbow w/ proflow and no lid.

Just ran it for a minute and pulled both plugs and they both were wet with gas, and looked almost identical in color. Neither one of them were black at all, just wet. I'm gonna drop the pilot to a 45 and see what happens. I really appreciate everyone's input :beer:

I also noticed the left side was blowing a little oil out too, just didn't seem as much as the right side....maybe it's just really rich :shrug:

I think I may have got this problem solved. After fixing the floats, dropping the pilot and adjusting the air screw it seems to be purring the same on both cylinders, and is no longer spitting oil out the pipes. Also, what I thought was oil turned out to be gas...it looked black because the inside of the pipe is filthy, lol...I feel stupid :laugh:

Got to ride it up the cove real quick, it had a mid range bog but once it opened up on the main it ripped pretty hard; I'm real happy so far. I'm gonna mess with the needle tomorrow and try to eliminate that bog.

differentstrokes, what setting is your needle on?

Thanks again to everyone that helped, I REALLY appreciate it!! :notworthy::notworthy:

I've got it on the 3rd clip, I tried it on the 4th but that was a little rich. That's with a DEK, which I'm told is really close to a EEK and does the best on the dyno compared to the DGK. What needle are you running?

Jared

I didn't get the chance to pull the needle last night, I was running low on time; the wife was wanting me to take her out to dinner, lol.

I'm going to pull the needle today though, and I do have an EEK so I may just go ahead and put that in depending on which needle is already in there.

when i had my 2 into 1 i had a 52 piliot and a 185 main at 1000feet and it ran great with pipes and 20 over wiescos

Thanks man :beer: