Problem with my cub

moneybags

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well first off, When I said that I put my Banshee back together. All I was talking about was the steering stem and gas tank. I never took apart the engin. Jim at passion racing put the moter together not me.

I backed my timing down to where I had it befor. (+6) still no start. I onley moved the jets down one size not 4.

They go from 155 to 152 on mains and 55 to 52 pilot. It is not a sheared crank key. Good idea thow. Had that happen once. Compression is at 175 PSI in both cyclinders. I dont see how a leak-down test would be nesseary cause the engine was never taken apart.

I cant see any spark coming from my plugs. I keep think that it is the pick up by the flywill. Is their any way to test it? After looking at my timing plate and pick-up. I noticed that the timing plate was broken at one time and welded back together. The pick-up it's self is cracked on the botom and kinda broke off. It look's like they had to shave a pice of the plastick off the pick-up to get it to mount back on the timing plate. any ideas on what I can use to mesure .15 to .18 thousands besides my feller gage. Min is at my brothers house right now.

:thanks:

Well first off, When I said that I put my Banshee back together. All I was talking about was the steering stem and gas tank. I never took apart the engin. Jim at passion racing put the moter together not me.

I backed my timing down to where I had it befor. (+6) still no start. I onley moved the jets down one size not 4.

They go from 155 to 152 on mains and 55 to 52 pilot. It is not a sheared crank key. Good idea thow. Had that happen once. Compression is at 175 PSI in both cyclinders. I dont see how a leak-down test would be nesseary cause the engine was never taken apart.

I cant see any spark coming from my plugs. I keep think that it is the pick up by the flywill. Is their any way to test it? After looking at my timing plate and pick-up. I noticed that the timing plate was broken at one time and welded back together. The pick-up it's self is cracked on the botom and kinda broke off. It look's like they had to shave a pice of the plastick off the pick-up to get it to mount back on the timing plate. any ideas on what I can use to mesure .15 to .18 thousands besides my feller gage. Min is at my brothers house right now.

:thanks:

I think you misunderstood what I was trying to say. I was saying it wasn't jetting, because a bike will run even if the jetting is quite a ways off. Same with an air or compression leak, the bike will run, but just not to its potential.

Your clymers manual should provide you with an ohm spec for he pickup coil if I remember right... Any kinda jerry-rigging on the timing plate or pickup coil is bad news IMO.

...and he is right, once up and running good, cubs love timing. I had mine at 9

Edited by BigRed350x

Ok, I did a starter coil test today. The one listed in table 2 page 237 of your CLYMER manual. Iam not 100%sure that I did it right, but think that I did. I set the multy miter to 200 (ohms). This is what I got.

Lighting coil resistance resistance (ohms)

Yello/red-to-Black (2002) .5_______________________________0.26-0.38

Pickup coil resistance

White/red to white green 97.6_____________________________94-140

Charging coil resistance

Green-to-red 21.7________________________________________13.7-20.5

That is what I got . So you can make the call. Is my starter thing any good?

It all ran together so I delited it and reposted it.

I went to take the stator off my 06 to do that same thing. Looked at my 06 and was like what the Funk. I forgot that I sent my 06 motor to Jeff.

No, I dont realy know anybody that I feal comfortable to ask sompthing like that. Pritty much cause their all a bunch of pantywaist hookers that descize them selves as real men.

Edited by moneybags

Ok, I did a starter coil test today. The one listed in table 2 page 237 of your CLYMER manual. Iam not 100%sure that I did it right, but think that I did. I set the multy miter to 200 (ohms). This is what I got.

Lighting coil resistance resistance (ohms)

Yello/red-to-Black (2002) .5_______________________________0.26-0.38

Pickup coil resistance

White/red to white green 97.6_____________________________94-140

Charging coil resistance

Green-to-red 21.7________________________________________13.7-20.5

That is what I got . So you can make the call. Is my starter thing any good?

It all ran together so I delited it and reposted it.

When doing a resistance test you need to check the resistance in the leads first. Set the meter to 200 like you did then touch the prongs together. It sometimes helps to straighten the lead wires out first. If you get a reading, you need to subtract that from your test readings. Example: Your leads show they are making 2.5 ohms of resistance. Subtact that from your test on the charging coil resistance and you actual reading is 19.2. That will put you into the proper range. Your lighting coil is way out and needs to be addressed. Pick up coil looks good. As for the broken and welded and shaved part, replace it and use the proper tools to set the gap. Dont jimmy rig your bike. Hope this helps.

Thanks HotCarl for letting me barow that stator. When I got home I found out it had the bifferent plug.

(more squar like)

Today, I mesed with it for about 5 hours. Pulled the carbs off and put the old jets back in.

Pulled my stator off and tinkered with it. Moved the timing around to different points. Yesterday night I played with the stator for awile aswell. After that I tried to see if I was getting any spark now. To my suprise it had spark in one cyclinder now and not the outher. That was yesterday. So I was like cool I'll just come out tomoro and mess with it tell I get spark in the outher cyclinder and it should run.

Well, I am getting the crap shocked out of me on both cyclinders now and it still will not run. It tries to start but dose not and after 10 to 15 kicks it'll just backfire like a cannon. Sometimes when kicking it it'll fire for like one rotation and qiut. But not to where I'd say it ran or even started. I think that it is just fireing every now and agin cause when doing a spark test. I'll have to kick it several times tell I get the shock.

I think that I am just going to order a new stator package. If that dont work ????????????????????????????

That should give my leg a week or two to heal.

HotCarl I'll have that stator back to you soon. :thanks:

Crazy05 thanks for your info. I never thought of that. :thanks:

Edited by moneybags