New Honing Tool!

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

whos porting is that???? hone looks good... my ball hone works good for my own stuff.. but since you do so many others sure that hone is a nice investment...

Its a dune port 4mil cylinder. I think it was K&T who did the porting, but not really sure. Maybe the original owner of the cylinders will chime in here and correct me if I'm wrong. They run really hard in the mid-range and have decent pull up top. Not like my cubs though. I will probably get another 4mil crank and put these cylinders on my 06 and the cub on the red banshee Or maybe the other way around. Dunno yet.

I like these cylinders though, they run damn skippy with that 4mil crank.

Great look Do you have to do something to the intake and exhaust window after you hone a cylinder?

Nope, just clean everything up real good and check to be sure you don't have any nasty edges that will catch a ring. The port job on those cylinders has the edges around each of the windows chamfered to prevent that. Dunno if you can see it in the pics or not, but all the ports are chamfered.

Looks like a hone for the ck-10 power hone that most engine shops use for a final hone after bore. You can "bore" a cylinder with that setup by hand and it will be pretty straight, Is that what your doing? Looks good, what stones are you going to use for the final cut? Keep us updated.

Kinda not really, man used to run a CK-10 everyday for a while, damn thing would nearly put ya to sleep with it's manaughtinous sound of the oil pump, hone motor and the ratcheting sound at the bottom of each stroke lol...

Finish hone looks real good bigred, I think it's still a little course but everyone has there preferance for finish, the crosshatch also looks a little tight, but for your first set I think you did awsome, most people don't know how tricky it is, honing & cooling and repeat and contantly checking size.

Well done.

Oh and if you were wondering you can also use varsol as a coolant, in some of our machines we use a varsol, tranny fluid, oil mix...works very well!

whos porting is that???? hone looks good... my ball hone works good for my own stuff.. but since you do so many others sure that hone is a nice investment...

That is ported by Tom @ Mountain Performance it is an awsome hill porting and that bike beat alot of bikes up the small hill we have at walden. But the same bikes I would kill up the hill would kill me on the flats great hill shooting motor tons of low end.

That is ported by Tom @ Mountain Performance it is an awsome hill porting and that bike beat alot of bikes up the small hill we have at walden. But the same bikes I would kill up the hill would kill me on the flats great hill shooting motor tons of low end.

It ran really damn hard going up our hill at KP. I'm pretty happy with those cylinders, but I'm going to get some cubs for that red banshee here in the next month or so. I'm probably going to put those cylinders and a 4mil crank on my 06 and use that as my backup. Also going to get a lockup for the red banshee.

damn jared you got all kinds of neat tools..

Yeah, I'm getting a pretty good collection of stuff that I don't really know how to use. Ha Ha Ha! One of these days I will get it all down to a science and maybe be somewhat decent at using all the crap I have. Until then, I just do what I can with what I got. :thumbsup:

rapid tap, or tap magic is what my buddy/machinists uses

I wonder how Kleen Kool 777 would work. I use it in my OD/ID grinder and its fuckin awesome shit compared to just about everything else I've used.

I'm grinding 4340 and 4140 thats been heat treated to a 50-52RC. Don't know what hardness those cylinder sleeves are. That makes a difference.