my YFZ450 a-arm install

Mullet Man

cool!!

if you guys would, post info you have as you go along doing this!!

if i have any more advice on this install, its test fit (eyeball the lowers) before cutting to get an idea, then cut some, re eyeball the fit, cut some more if needed and keep doing it that way until you get it nice and tight and the upper a-arm clears the shock.

the shock should clear the upper arm by just less then a 1/4" or so

(install upper arm 1st before tackling the lower arm)

"ozosborne", i think you could do that but the cut you will be making on the lower will need too be extremely thin to end up with the thickest piece left over.

i was going to try this also but gave up on trying to find a place to cut it for me.

some grease will come out of the lowers also but grease isnt water, you wont loose that much.

the grease nips will be fine, they have enuf room behind them where they wont come in contact with the frame!

Edited by Mullet Man

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have you any idea why the 06 450 stuff wont fit? Thanks.

you know, after some more researching, i think i found out that '06 arms are the same as '04-'05.

but i havent asked anybody that would know 100% for sure tho. they certainly do not appear to be different

but, you seem to know a little bit about suspension. does it look fucked up, in anyway? lol

No, I think it looks like a pimp setup. Next on the agenda would be some 450 spindles and brakes. Possibly the stem from an '07 so you have 9/8th's bars? truly a total 450 front end.

No, I think it looks like a pimp setup. Next on the agenda would be some 450 spindles and brakes. Possibly the stem from an '07 so you have 9/8th's bars? truly a total 450 front end.

cool. why i ask that is, i'm not sure on ideal tierod too a-arm angles. thats what i was wondering about. but none of the ball joints or tie rod ends look stressed ( or "over angled", for lack of a term) at all in any position.

all of the aftermarket arms i see on banshees, the tierod too a-arm angle is no where near what this looks like.

update on pricing.

i sold my stock arms and tie rods for $100.

plus $25 for the replacement ball joint and $1 for a pack of 10 new cotter pins

plus i forgot i sold my stock shocks for $50 back in April

this brings my grand total down to $226 :notworthy:

Edited by Mullet Man

Was thinking of using a stainless steel grinder blade. We use the same blade to cut ally plates at my factory. Also cuts through mild steel like butter and leaves a nice smooth finish. Will probably do it over the december period, will def post some pics here. :wink:

Was thinking of using a stainless steel grinder blade. We use the same blade to cut ally plates at my factory. Also cuts through mild steel like butter and leaves a nice smooth finish. Will probably do it over the december period, will def post some pics here. :wink:

good deal man!

its cake, you will see! just dont take too much material off, the tighter the fit the better!

if you happen to come up with spacers before i do, let me know!

wait, what about the steel dowels that the original banshee arms ride on. they will be the right length and keep the chassis tabs from collapsing. then just use some washers to fill in. or maybe thats kind of un professional

take a look at the pictrues again, they are in there, and have to be used.

the spacer is needed to go over that dowel/sleeve, too make it more asthetically appealing. but i believe the dowel/sleeve takes all of the load!

i did have to use washers, which you can see in the pics. the washer take up the space left by not using the lower dust caps. you cant even tell they are there unless you are really looking for them! proof, no one noticed them yet on here ;) (i didnt say anything on purpose just too test that idea)

Edited by Mullet Man