my YFZ450 a-arm install

Mullet Man

will this setup be godd godd fot going to th track and all round riding

i havent ridden it yet but i see no reason why this wouldnt be as good as +2 aftermarket arms. i have no doubt it will be better then stock! i will ride it tomorrow after i get the ball joint taken care of!

excellent job man. i'm glad it worked out easier than anticipated. that is a clean looking set up you did. nice write up as well.

thanks man. it turned out to be cake. tomorrow will tell all tho. either i get fucked up really bad or it works out awesome lol

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yeah did you get a measurement compared to stock yet? Are the tires going to be pushed forward?, Bacwards?, or the same?

check it out.

with help from a member on here who measure his stock bike, and i measured the new YFZ a-arms on mine, this is what we came up with. it might not be dead on accurate. but it should be close and definatley answers your questions about wheel placement.....

OK,

this is how i did the measurements

http://i14.tinypic.com/2wqcpqt.jpg

notice how its hooked into the peg (outside edge of the very outside tooth) and i have the hub kicked all the way to the right. i get 25 1/4"

then this one, hub still kicked all the way to the right i went from inside of the left brake bleeder (caliper metal of the bleeder, not the actual bleeder) to same on the right side i got 35 1/4"

http://i14.tinypic.com/4ccrfqt.jpg

ok didit just like you first measurment 24 inch's second 31 1/4

if its anywhere close, it puts it atleast 1" forward and atleast 2" wider on each side. so +2/+1 with YFZ arms!! kickass

heres the link...

Edited by Mullet Man

so did u receive ur part to finsh up the final priject

yes i did and i just got done riding it too.

it tracks true and straight. no wobbles or anything out of the ordinary to report! i'm happy as can be.

i did notice that it is extremely easy too turn now. it feels more precise and responsive in the steering!

i think i will end up getting some longer tie rods at some point or YFZ tie rod ends, even using the YFZ tie rods, i dont think they are threaded on all that much. definately not as far on as stock tie rods.

here are some ride height pics. it sits lower then stock. (little over 1 inch clearance on the 1 gallon paint can measurement) i still have some adjusting to do with that tho....

http://i14.tinypic.com/2mw9dp2.jpg

http://i14.tinypic.com/2hd8ykk.jpg

i am very pleased so far!!

Edited by Mullet Man

oh ok i see now but this weekend u needa go jump it really test it how it handles

i would but i am 180miles south of my shee, be a while before i get back to it :sad:

500 views on this thread, 25 replies. mostly by the same people. no one else has anything to say about this? critique? ideas?

i would like some outside suspension guru input. does it look bad? does it look right? whatever you got, i want to hear it! so let me have it :beer:

WOW Mullet man, nice job, I'm sure this is why most havn't had anything to say lol, you have seemed to cover all the bases, and it looks FANTASIC!

How did you find the ride? any bumpsteer? are you using the stock banshee wheels or are you inverting them?

Now that we know you can make the 450 arms fit, a complete clip would be awsome, utilizing the better brakes and shocks as well, and I belive the spindles are aluminum like the raptor.

You have also done a fantastic job on the "how to" layout, I used to write up SOP's (standard operating procedures) when I was a millwrite and I always seemed to forget something lol.

If my opinion matters, I say you've done an awsome job, I'm gonna go hunt down some 450 arms now before they turn into gold on ebay LOL!

WOW Mullet man, nice job, I'm sure this is why most havn't had anything to say lol, you have seemed to cover all the bases, and it looks FANTASIC!

How did you find the ride? any bumpsteer? are you using the stock banshee wheels or are you inverting them?

Now that we know you can make the 450 arms fit, a complete clip would be awsome, utilizing the better brakes and shocks as well, and I belive the spindles are aluminum like the raptor.

You have also done a fantastic job on the "how to" layout, I used to write up SOP's (standard operating procedures) when I was a millwrite and I always seemed to forget something lol.

If my opinion matters, I say you've done an awsome job, I'm gonna go hunt down some 450 arms now before they turn into gold on ebay LOL!

i am using the stock wheels, mounted like stock (not flipped)

i did not notice any bump steer. but i only rode it for about 10min, it was cold out and getting dark too (plus i need to rejet for the colder temps, dont want to hurt it by running lean). i was mostly in a flat grass ditch (oxymoron), not any rocky terrain or anything.

the ride is awesome. feels like a whole new bike. i found it to be alot easier to power out the rear end now on tight turns, it just felt so much more stable and responsive! no more top heavy feeling like when i only had the YFZ shocks on there.

i think i edited the original post like 60 times! adding and moving things around to where it made the most sense in the easiest to follow order.

thanks for the compliments man. :beer: you outta try it, its too easy lol

heres a question for you (or anyone that knows), do you notice anything that looks wierd with the geometry of the front suspension? that is ideal, to have the tie rod and a-arms parallel too each other right?

and fyi for anyone looking, there is a set of yfz arms on yfzcentral for $60, lower arms need new ball joints pressed (messed up threads) ball joints are ~$25 a piece

one thing i do need too add, i dont think this can be done with '06 and newer yfz a-arms. i believe they are different. purchase '04-'05 yfz arms

Edited by Mullet Man