Making the Shee a better trail bike.

Wertzy

Now, before anyone says anything, I know I really can't make it as good as a 4-stroke when it comes to trail riding. What I want to do is make it the best it can for riding trails.

I bought some 22x11 Razr's to bring the rear ground clearance up a little bit. Now I need to know what to do to the engine. Toomey T6's? V-Force 3 reeds? Hemi Head? What do you guys suggest on making the Shee a better all around trail bike? Thanks in advance.

I personally would pick a good mid range pipe like FMF fatties or Paul Turner mids, or maybe even some DMC's...get a NOSS head with some 21cc domes so you can still run pump gas and then would possibly change the gearing depending on what kind of trails you ride. A timing plate advanced 4 degrees would help add a little umph. :biggrin: You'd notice a huge improvement over stock :beer:

I personally would pick a good mid range pipe like FMF fatties or Paul Turner mids, or maybe even some DMC's...get a NOSS head with some 21cc domes so you can still run pump gas and then would possibly change the gearing depending on what kind of trails you ride. A timing plate advanced 4 degrees would help add a little umph. :biggrin: You'd notice a huge improvement over stock :beer:

2-1 Carb......EASY jetting, and awesome low-midrange pull!! :beer:

Who makes the 2-1 carb setup? Trinity?

Edit - Nevermind. Found it. On Trinity's site they have the choice for a 33, 35, and 38. What do these numbers mean? The size of the carb? Which size would I want?

Edited by Wertzy

Yep...size of the carb. I'd go 35...personally.

Also...in addition to what Big Boy said...shave the flywheel too.

Then...you'll have all the motor you'd need.

Next...sink all your $$ into suspension. Shocks to start...then A Arms, etc.

If you have the money...get the a arms and shocks at the same time...

Edited by dajogejr

The Noss head with smaller domes will make you some extra torque. If you can afford, and have access to race fuel go with 18 or 19 cc domes. Since you went with the 22" tires you shuold drop down to a 13 tooth front sprocket, that will get your gearing back close to stock. A swing arm skid IMO is the most important skid. That rotor and sprocket are low. I run Toomy t-5 pipes but I hear the Paul Turner mids are a good pipe. For what a 2 into 1 carb set up costs your money would be better spent on a woods port job by any reputable company. I have been riding/racing my Banshee in the woods for 8 years now and I gotta say good suspension is just as important as pure horsepower. Oh and by the way BUY a stering stabilizer!!! you WILL go faster in the woods it the bars are not getting jerked out of your hands by roots ruts and rocks.

Ya the 2:1 carb is just unreasonably priced for what you get. Grab a set of T-5s these pipes will make your stock bike a rocket from the bottom to the top, and they respond better to porting then the t-6s. Next I would get a good trail port and a timing plate. I dont know if I would sink the cash into a set of aftermarket a arms if your not going wider but a good set of shocks is a great idea, the stock front shocks suck when it comes to ledges, ruts, and fallen trees. You did pick a good tire I have the 20" razr2s on my bike and god damn do these things hook, prolly the best tire I have ridden on a banshee with. Invest in a pro flow kit, and an outwear. For trails I would suggest a foam style filter over a gauze set up, but its a pretty much your choice. And most definetly get some skids especially a swing arm skid, Like said about the sproket and rotor sit waaaaay low on a banshee and those crappy stock tube thingies are just weak garbage. I know I restated alot of stuff but just trying to reinforce the other guys opinions with my own personal knowledge. :evil:

I have just finished modifying my '01 Banshee. I put Paul Turner mids, VForce3 reed cages and the trinity 2-1 carb setup. This thing is absolutely amazing on the trail. The biggest difference I see is that you don't have to be on the throttle all the time, and changing gears. It is much easier to find a gear and stay in it; rather than changing gears all the time.

I would start with the pipes and 2-1 carb (makes tuning much simplier, too).

By the way, check e-bay for parts. I purchased most of my stuff off there and it will save you tons of money (the trinity 2-1 was only 227.00!!)

Edited by ww90stufrey3

my banshees are awesome on the trails.drop down to a 12 tooth front sprocket,get a 2-1 pipe.carb is not needed.dmc 916s are good for trails.it will have as much low end as any 4 stroke with the 2-1 pipe. but you will lose top end with this set-up.oh yeah,port and polish the jugs too and mil the head 20 thousandhts.

Ya the 2:1 carb is just unreasonably priced for what you get. Grab a set of T-5s these pipes will make your stock bike a rocket from the bottom to the top, and they respond better to porting then the t-6s. Next I would get a good trail port and a timing plate. I dont know if I would sink the cash into a set of aftermarket a arms if your not going wider but a good set of shocks is a great idea

I agree with this statement ^^^

Wow thanks for all the info guys. This really helps me get goin. I think I have an idea on what to get now.:D

Now for shocks...what would you guys suggest? I don't want to sink a shitton of money on some Elka's when their not really nessicary for the type of riding I'm doing. How about some Works shocks?

Wow thanks for all the info guys. This really helps me get goin. I think I have an idea on what to get now.:D

Now for shocks...what would you guys suggest? I don't want to sink a shitton of money on some Elka's when their not really nessicary for the type of riding I'm doing. How about some Works shocks?

Works aren't bad on the trails, they do a whole lot better than stock. Although pretty much any aftermarket shocks are a lot better than works.