STEELERS QB HURT RIDING A BIKE

this is a terrible thing to happen ,but it is a perfect example to what can happen to riders that dont wear a helmet when riding . it can happen to anyone . most of the injurys were to his head and face . it is your choice to wear it or not ,but i hate to hear about guys in crashes with no helmet . the time it takes while sitting there letting your bike warm up, you can be putting it on . so lets put them on guys its a small price to pay ,instead of having your jaw wired shut.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I totally agree with ya 2strokesmoke. I never ever ride with out my helmet. well unless im riding my daughter around the yard at like 5 mph hell if i wore one then i should wear one when im on the lawm mower :baseball_w00t: but other than that I always wear it .

I can't find it now, but Arai used to have a letter from a guy that was in a crash on his crotch rocket at way over 100mph on the interstate. Doctors gave him something like a 5% chance of living, but he made it. He hit the guard rail head first, and the size of the dent in that helmet was just scary. But he lived.

a lid is not going to help all the time but im sure in most cases it does . it saved one of my boys life . he broke like 7 bones,(ribs , arm, pelvis) but no head injurys(he had a helmet on) . his helmet was all cracked ,but i guess it done its job.

That sucks that it happened but I can not feel sorry for someone that is dumb enough to ride without one!

His choice to be smart and wear one or not.

It's like feeling sorry for a crack head that OD's. They did it to them self and knew better not to do it.

It's the kids that see the "star" or dad riding without one that I feel sorry for. They are the one's that don't know better and need to see us adults wearing a helmet. With any kid around or by myself, if the leg go over the bike for a ride boots and helmet on always!!!

My little girl is only a little over 1 and if I'm putt putting around with her on, her and I both have one on. She already knows that the helmet stays on while riding. She loves to ride already and you can't get her in a helmet unless an ATV, bike, ect. is in sight.

I practice what a preach :beer:

Karmam, thats what he gets for stealing the superbowl j/k Seriously though i heard he lost all his teeth.

7 hours of surgery sounds like a little more than just a busted hinge.He could make a little more scratch with this,like doing promos for Shoei,Gerber baby food ect.. Sucks if you're at the age of 23 and already running around with a set of "Jimmy Carter's" for a yapper.

Moral of the story wear your helmet it can make the difference between stable and critical, you wreck a bike you're gonna get hurt it's just how much that changes.

2nd Moral just because you're a rich and famous athlete doesn't mean you have any business on a Busa.

Athletes and motorcycles can be a dangerous mix. Here is a list of incidents and injuries involving athletes and motorcycles - some severe, some minor - during the past few years:

-- Three months ago, Jerome Mathis of the Houston Texans, a Pro Bowl kick returner, sustained scrapes on his wrists and hands in a motorcycle dust-up. One message board poster on a Texans fan site noted that Mathis' injuries were minor and wrote, "At least he wears a helmet, unlike Ben Roethlisberger."

-- In January, former bodybuilder and current California Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger cut his lip, requiring stitches, when his Harley Davidson smacked into a car on a residential street. Schwarzenegger later admitted he did not have a license to drive a motorcycle.

-- Cleveland Browns tight end Kellen Winslow missed the 2005 season while recovering from injuries to his right knee and shoulder. Winslow was learning to ride a motorcycle in a parking lot and hit a curb at about 35 mph. He was wearing a helmet, but it was unstrapped and flew off while he was in midair.

-- A month after winning the E1 Tour de Phoenix, cyclist David Young lost his left leg in a motorcycle crash. Fitted with a prosthetic, Young competed in the Tour de Tucson six months after his accident.

-- The day before the start of the 2004 Olympics, Greek sprinter Ekaterini Thanou missed her scheduled drug test because of what she said was a motorcycle accident. Thanou, who was uninjured, later was charged with making a false accident claim.

-- In April 2004, LaKisha Gentry of North Texas University died of injuries sustained in a motorcycle accident. Gentry was the Sun Belt Conference champion in the javelin.

-- On March 30, 2004, Olympic gold medalist Rulon Gardner flipped over the handlebars when his Harley Davidson collided with a moving car in Colorado Springs, Colo. Gardner, who suffered some scrapes on his left side, said his training as a wrestler helped him land safely and avoid serious injury.

-- Indy Racing League driver Dario Franchitti broke his back in a 2003 motorcycle accident and missed several races, including the Indianapolis 500.

-- Jay Williams, the second overall pick in the 2002 NBA draft, has not played since he lost control of his red and black Yamaha sportbike and rammed a utility pole June 19, 2003. Williams severed a nerve in his leg, fractured his pelvis and tore three ligaments in his knee.

-- In 2002, San Francisco Giants second baseman Jeff Kent injured his wrist when he ran into a curb while popping wheelies. At first, Kent told team officials he was hurt while he was washing his truck.

-- Olympic champion skier Hermann Maier shattered his left leg in August 2001 when a car hit his motorcycle on a road in Austria. Maier had a titanium rod inserted in the leg and sat out the 2002 Games. But he made a dramatic comeback last year by winning two medals in Turin, Italy.

-- Major-league pitcher Steve Howe, who in 1997 was attempting a comeback at age 39 with the Sioux Falls Canaries of the independent Northern League, was critically injured in a crash and later charged with drunken driving. Those charges were later dropped after prosecutors decided his blood test was improperly obtained.

-- Former NHL tough guy Bob Probert, who played for the Detroit Red Wings and Chicago Blackhawks, sustained minor injuries in a motorcycle accident in 1994. Tests showed alcohol and cocaine in his system, and he was placed on inactive status for the 1994-95 season.

-- Mike Nyeholt, an All-American swimmer at USC, broke his neck and was paralyzed from the chest down when he crashed his dirt bike in January 1981.

-- Milwaukee Brewers shortstop Robin Yount injured his foot when he drove his dirt bike off a cliff a few days before the start of spring training in 1978. Yount began the season on the disabled list, enabling rookie Paul Molitor to take over at shortshop.

-- Daredevil Evel Knievel went into partial retirement after a failed attempt to jump a tank full of sharks in late 1976. In the crash, Knievel suffered a concussion and two broken arms, and a television cameraman lost an eye.

you would think that anyone who gets bashed around as much as an nfl qb would appreciate the need for a helmet more than anybody. i've always liked big ben, but what the hell was he thinking? :shoothead:

I always wear my helmet when riding, but do find it amazing at the number of those who dont. Also amazong to me is the good number of guys I know that played football etc yet for some reason dont feel they need a helmet on a quad or bike. Kinda funny how they prolly wouldnt dare go out on the playing field without one yet they will get on a bike and go do stupid stuff on it without one.

I always wear my helmet when riding, but do find it amazing at the number of those who dont. Also amazong to me is the good number of guys I know that played football etc yet for some reason dont feel they need a helmet on a quad or bike. Kinda funny how they prolly wouldnt dare go out on the playing field without one yet they will get on a bike and go do stupid stuff on it without one.

He wasn't doing stupid stuff... someone make a left in front of him.. claimed they didn't see him. Out of state plates... Maine I think..

He wasn't speeding.. he wasn't showing off.. nothing...