Best Top End Kit For Price

Yamaha

Rebuilding my shee because when I removed my head to have it milled I realized I could move my pistons form side to side more than I think I should be able to, so whats a good top-end kit anyone would recommend for my shee, I need a whole kit-pistons-pins, rings, circlips,(needle bearings), and all the necassary gaskets?

It currently has wiseco 64.75 -.030 over pistons in it so I will need some 65mm pistons to bore the cylinders to, as for the head milling, about how much would you recommend I take off? I was thinking about 20 thousandths but I'm not sure?

All that is done to it is t5 pipes, boyseen rad valves and reed cages, boost bottle, pro flow filter and adapter with no airbox lid- I'm at 370 ft elevation and temps around 80 to 90 degrees now.

i would get wiseco's as well.. the cast pistons just dont seem to last under the abuse we put our bikes through..

and check your local shops about boring prices.. they may be able to get your cylinders and all bored faster than shipping them out back and forth..

prices sound good but HE SHOULDNT BORE THEM BEFORE HE HAS THE PISTONS IN HIS HAND.

Pistons go down to the thousands: a .010 over piston could actually be .012 or .016 or .009 or .014

he should bore to the thousandths and you'll have a nice tight cylinder.

prices sound good but HE SHOULDNT BORE THEM BEFORE HE HAS THE PISTONS IN HIS HAND.

Pistons go down to the thousands:  a .010 over piston could actually be .012 or .016 or .009 or .014

507544[/snapback]

He didnot say he was going to bore.He said he would "mic" to see what size to order.

I do not want to sound like an a$$, but make sure your guy measures correctly. I took my cylinders to the local Yamaha shop, and the guy measured them with calipers at the very top where they do not even wear much (you could see an obvious ring groove a few mm below the top of the cylinder). He said "Oh these are 63.94 - you can just go back with stock pistons". I just smiled and said "thanks". Brought them to work and had the QA lab here measure them correctly. . . .

Brian

Magic Racing has a pretty good price on a top end kit. I think its like $159 for pistons, rings, circlips, needle bearings, and gasket set. and they ship pretty fast, depending on where your at. they are in michigan and it only takes 2 days and my stuff is settin on my door step :) . but im in kentucky, which isnt very far from there.

Pistons go down to the thousands:  a .010 over piston could actually be .012 or .016 or .009 or .014

507544[/snapback]

so what about this situation. i just had my cylinders spec'd out at the shop and he said they only need honed, so i ordered new standard size pistons. will it work out ok?

You will have to order the wrist pin bearings seperately, because they don't come with the Wiseco piston kits.  Just a little FYI.

507827[/snapback]

yep. i just ordered my piston kits earlier today and had to order the bearings seperate.

in my honest opinion, RMATV is the place to go for parts. :headbang:

You will have to order the wrist pin bearings seperately, because they don't come with the Wiseco piston kits.  Just a little FYI.

507827[/snapback]

Actually...Magic does include the pin bearings for free...

http://www.magicracing.com/product.asp?itemid=135&catid=133

I looked quickly at RMATV's site...and it looks like you have to buy the piston, rings and circlips...then, the pins, bearings and gaskets separately. I didn't see a top end kit complete as I do at Magic...

So...unless I missed that page, I think Magic would be the way to go.

If you have .030 over now, and the bike didn't blow up and ran good, I'd say purchase the .040 piston kit, give the pistons to your builder, and have him bore it accordingly.

from what i figured, rmatv would only be about $5 more to order the bearings and a tusk top end gasket kit seperate over magic. the listing i saw said that the wrist pin was included in the kit. so considering i had other things to get as well, and i almost always go to rocky mtn, i dropped the extra $5 on them. but that was for std pistons, oversized may run about $10 more for the two.

Edited by MILO