oil coming from pipes..

Easy way to tell.....take both head pipes off and if the right cylinder has lots of oil in the exhaust port and not on the left side then the crank seal is bad...take about ten minutes....Good luck...D

482048[/snapback]

I forgot to mention that, when my crank seal was bad you could take the right side pipe off and just dump tranny oil out of it. I mean not dripping, like ounces of it. I also agree w/eliminating the easy stuff first.

If you do determine it is the crank seal, the stealership will charge you an arm and a leg to replace a part that costs 10 bucks. Probably more like 40, cause if your in there already, might as well replace the other seals. And few more dollars for gaskets. I would be suprised if you got out of the dealership for $500.

Where are you located. Maybe someone close to you will give you a hand doing the work, even if you have to give them a few dollars for there time, or pay for there drive, or whatever. It would be a great learning experience for you. If you live in Michigan somewhere, you can bring it to me, and I'll help you out. I have all the tools you need.

Good luck, keep us updated.

Edited by sheefreak

Im actually located in Guelph, Ontario, Canada. I dought there is anyone near by me, but if there is, that would be so awesome if you could come help me out. Im only 16 and this is my first quad, so I'm not technically inclined to taking stuff apart on the banshee. I will start doing my own stuff though, because I know my brother took his kfx400 to the dealership and the bill came to 800$!! and the part he needed was about 150$, so I know there a waste of money now. I tried to take off the head pipe, but could not do it. Im not really sure how to, if some1 could tell me, that would be great. Thanks a lot guys for all this help, I havnt really posted a lot lately, but Im going to start doing my own work on the banshee, so you guys are going to see my post A LOT MORE! lol.

First, buy a CLYMER for around $25. The best investment you can have. It's quite simple just

Remove heat sheild.

Remove front hose clamp.

Then remove the 3 springs holding the exhaust chamber to the motor.

Spring tool is $3.99 and OEM Service manuel for $60 @ Rockymountainatv.com

That should do it.

First, buy a CLYMER for around $25.  The best investment you can have.  It's quite simple just

Remove heat sheild.

Remove front hose clamp.

Then remove the 3 springs holding the exhaust chamber to the motor.

Spring tool is $3.99 and OEM Service manuel for $60 @ Rockymountainatv.com

That should do it.

482869[/snapback]

Sounds about right. I don't mess w/the spring tool though. I just pull them off w/an angled needle nose, so the tool isn't necessary. The springs can be very stubborn, so don't be afraid to put some muscle in it. Let us know what you find.

are you guys telling me that my 2003 banshee baught brand new in 2005, had it for about 4 months, and the crank case or what ever it might be is gone already? Ive seriously ridden it like 10 times, theres no way something is gone on it already. but thanks anyways for the replies.

481677[/snapback]

Is your banshee even broken in yet? :lol:

Mine did the same thing to me when I first got it. Ruined a good tee shirt, as a matter of fact. Mine problem turned out to be jetting. I put a K&N pro flow air filter kit on, re-jetted for it, syncronized my carbs and set the idle and it ran way better. Also, I changed my pre-mix to 32:1 instead of the 24:1 that yamaha reccomends. :cheers:

• 2 weeks later...

I figured I would post here. I was going make my own post but maybe my problem will shine some light on blindriders problem.

I am having the same problem but oil is shooting out my left silencer. I just overhauled my bike. Bought new carb rebuild kit, Sent out my topend to be boared out and got new pistons, rejetted. (I have no idea how to jet as this was my first time doing it) Bike started riht up to my suprise then I hit the throttle and blew a big black mist of oil and gas out the back. My seals were perfect before and this is the first time my bike has been started all winter. Is it the ?

jetting?

old gas?

seals?

WTF?

So maybe it is not your seals.

• 2 weeks later...