oil coming from pipes..

Yeh most likely if it is just right side it is the crank seal....Mine did it. Oil smells like gear oil and not premix because it is crank oil. If the left side seal went out it would be sucking air and cause it to run irratically(SP)....I took the motor out and pulled the bottom case off and did not get into the top of the motor to replace mine....Lots of fun, but can be done....call around to shops that know banshees and they will tell you...I called Jeff as FAST and he let me in on what I was looking at....pm hinm at FASTOYS ....D

Yeh most likely if it is just right side it is the crank seal....Mine did it. Oil smells like gear oil and not premix because it is crank oil. If the left side seal went out it would be sucking air and cause it to run irratically(SP)....I took the motor out and pulled the bottom case off and did not get into the top of the motor to replace mine....Lots of fun, but can be done....call around to shops that know banshees and they will tell you...I called Jeff as FAST and he let me in on what I was looking at....pm hinm at FASTOYS ....D

481008[/snapback]

I think you mean case oil not crank oil. Crank oil would be pre-mix ;)

That does really blow though if thats what the problem is. Checkout your topend while your in there, and make sure your crank has not started to seperate. I have had my banshee several years and never had problems with a crank seal, although there have been replaced once since I was already in there.

Edited by Justintoxicated

Thanks JUSTINTOXICATED....yes gear oil <_< .....I am not saying it IS the crank seal I am saying from my experience it may be......check out responces or call some engine builders and ask....seals go bad..new or old..just happens. :confused: Good luck..D

are you guys telling me that my 2003 banshee baught brand new in 2005, had it for about 4 months, and the crank case or what ever it might be is gone already? Ive seriously ridden it like 10 times, theres no way something is gone on it already. but thanks anyways for the replies.

481677[/snapback]

not the crankcases themselves, but the seal may be bad. never had one go out myself.

I have had a crank seal go bad berfore, but it was because I had a screw come loose in there and tear up the oil seal. Sorry to inform you but It can't be anything else besides your cases leaking. Either way you are going to have to split the cases, your top end is probably still just fine. May want to take a compression reading just to verify. If you can hold your hand like you said, a foot away, rev it, and be covered w/oil, it is definatlely tranny fluid. If you've never split the cases before, it will be a good learning experience for you. I prefer the factory manuals to the clymers. They are real expensive from yamaha, but Rocky mountain sells them cheap. Good luck!

Start cheap. Dump the gas and make sure you are running the right mix. Then repack the silencers, if you were running rich they can get saturated. These guys know what they are talking about and it very well could be the seal, but start easy and work towards hard. Eliminate the simple stuff first. Just my opinion.

RJV

I know how you feel. I'm going through the same thing now. I just posted the same question and then saw your thread. I can put my hand behind the right pipe and rev her up and my hand turns almost completely black. Left side barely spits fuel, so little that the color on a rag appears grey. You keep me posted and I will keep you posted if I find out something. The dealership is really going to charge you an arm and a leg. At first, these banshee's can seem quite intimidating, but with the CLYMER and OEM service manual it's easier than you think.

Your carb could have been leaking fuel into the cylinder causing it to load up on that side. Or, one of the reeds could be cracked. How does the plug look on that side? Try pulling the plug out, and kicking it over with the kill switch off to prevent fire. Whilst kicking it over, check to see what is coming out of the empty spark plug hole. If the carb has been leaking, it will be shooting fuel out. If your reed is cracked, it will still be shooting out fuel, but while the bike is running, you will have no power in the mid range-top end, and it won't idle. Now, if the crank seal is shot, the exhaust will SMOKE like none other. It will smell like used gear oil, only worse. This reply is hard to follow, but it's early in the morning, and I haven't had any coffee yet... :cheers: