Splitting the Cases

BigRed350x

If you use a stock stoke cub dont you need the spacer or the domes cut. Thought that i read in the first post that it was a stock stroke cub.

We have a trip planned for Sand Mt. for easter weekend if Rick (my friend with 10mm Trex) gets his bike put together before then.  I will keep everyone updated with how it goes.

476584[/snapback]

Head Sand Mt for easter as well. See you there!!

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What do you need a spacer plate for? Cubs don't require a spacer plate since each cub is already casted for the stroke. They do require cut domes and 795 series or blaster pistons depending on 65mm or 68mm bore size.

RNBrad's right. Only time you'd need a spacer plate is if you put a longer stroke crank in and and wanted to change the deck height.

The cubs are for a stock stroke. Therefore I have to have either cut domes or a spacer plate since I am going to be running them on a 4mm stroker. I will need to get a set of 795 series pistons since it is 65mm bore and I have the 5mm longer rods on my crank.

:cheers:

I will keep everyone posted with how this build goes. I should be ordering some more parts I need next week. Swinger, clutch, stuff for my carbs.

- Jared

Holy crap I can't believe how many views this is getting. Up to 900 something in just a few days. I didn't think it would be THAT big of a deal, but i guess I was wrong. I might have to do some more of these kinda things.

What kinda stuff do you all want walk-through pictures for? I am going to do one for a clutch when I get my new clutch ordered. I could probably do one for how to change jets on a PWK, but if you don't know how to do that, you probably shouldn't be messing with jettng anyway.

What kinda stuff do you all want walk-through pictures for?  I am going to do one for a clutch when I get my new clutch ordered.  I could probably do one for how to change jets on a PWK, but if you don't know how to do that, you probably shouldn't be messing with jettng anyway.

477007[/snapback]

Gettin in Katies panties.... :D I would like to see the pics but you can leave the text out ;)

RIPPEN

Great posts liek this make the HQ a worthwhile place to find good information.

2 Q's

1) I know your using the plate because you said your putting in a 4 mil crank.

Why didn't you get 4mm cubs? Seems they would make significantly more power than stock stroke cubs with a spacer plate/cut domes since the porting on them is designed around the stroke?

Seems to me you would be better off sticking to a stock length crank with those cubs for best performance.

2) What kind of oil were you running before that tear down and how many years on that motor? The tops of the pistons are very clean, hardly any Carbon build up! I had more carbon than that after 2 desert trips experimenting with castor 927. Cylinder walls are nice and smooth also.

Edited by Justintoxicated

Great posts liek this make the HQ a worthwhile place to find good information.

2 Q's

1) I know your using the plate because you said your putting in a 4 mil crank.

Why didn't you get 4mm cubs?  Seems they would make significantly more power than stock stroke cubs with a spacer plate/cut domes since the porting on them is designed around the stroke?

Seems to me you would be better off sticking to a stock length crank with those cubs for best performance.

2)  What kind of oil were you running before that tear down and how many years on that motor?  The tops of the pistons are very clean, hardly any Carbon build up!  I had more carbon than that after 2 desert trips experimenting with castor 927.  Cylinder walls are nice and smooth also.

477413[/snapback]

I got the stock stroke because I bought the whole setup from a friend, Vforce 3, cool head with 17cc and 18cc domes, and billet intakes that will fit my carbs, and it already had a pretty good cleanup port from K&T, all for the price of just the cub cylinders. It was a steal so I jumped all over it.

The engine is a 1997, stock bore. I run a pure synthetic oil mixed at 32:1 or 36:1 with 91 octane pump gas. It had right around 75 hours on that particular top end. I ride pretty much every weekend and ride it pretty hard since I am a big guy and it takes a lot to run my fat ass around everywhere as fast as I like to go. Get your jetting right and you should be burning everything in the chamber every stroke, and not much left behind to build up on your pistons. :cheers:

Damn fine job here, big red.

Building that same motor myself next month...4 mil cub, but I'm getting cut heads.

Great, Great article!!

477441[/snapback]

I'm still not totally sure which route I will go. Depends on how easily I can get the cut domes... I still have a lot of parts to buy before I will get it running. I sitll have a good $1500 worth of essential stuff before I can be out there riding.

Thanks for support!

I got it all together for the most part today.  Only waiting on a new clutch and billet impeller then I can start on the top end.  I still need some small stuff, as well as my new swinger and roundhouse carrier.  Still trying to decide between a spacer plate or cut domes.  Not sure.  Talking to K&T about it.  I am also going to send my cub cylinders to them to get ported for the 4mm some time next week I hope.  After I get it running I will take it to the killpecker dunes for jetting, then I should be good to go.  After it's running right and all the jetting is taken care of I am going to head down to Walden for some fun.  I think the snow should be mostly melted by the point I am ready to go down there.

We have a trip planned for Sand Mt. for easter weekend if Rick (my friend with 10mm Trex) gets his bike put together before then.  I will keep everyone updated with how it goes.

476584[/snapback]

Let me know if you come down. We will have a huge group there. Hopefully my cheetah will be up and running by then. Oh and by the way why don't you ask Kim if he would work you a deal on the 4mm cubs if you traded him the stock cubs? I bet he would work out a pretty good deal with ya if he did the stock ones you have.

this is great, i think the info you gave on here helped a bunch, thanks for taking the time to post pics on each step like you did. for a motor rookie like myself, this makes it seem a bit less complicated. i cant wait to see the rebuild picks. I would love to see any how to do stuff you can post. i have the clymer manual, but seeing it twice and in color is great. if you ever come to richmond i owe you a few beers :cheers::notworthy: