Using a banshee for mx

tbyrd15

I am want to get into MX racing. I have a 250R and a Banshee. I here that the R is better for this type of racing, but it would take a lot more money to get it ready to race than it would my Banshee. Would it be worth it to invest some money in my Banshee and race it, instead of putting alot of money into the R. Because if I went with the R then it would more than likely be another year or two before I could get it ready to race (money is real tight).

The mods that I have on my Banshee now are- stock bore with wiseco pistons, toomey airbox eliminator, full skid, pro circuit pipe and silencers, nerf bars, polished front bumper and grill, shock covers, Douglas wheels all around, tether swich, frame, a-arms, and swingarm has been sanded and painted yellow, white plastic, ceet graphic kit and seat cover, what more would I need, besides supension (I plan on starting out with my stock set-up-for now). Thanks for any help.

It'd be a little more clear if you only listed the mods you have that actually pertain to MX. Here's what you have that would help you in racing:

1.)toomey airbox eliminator

2.)pro circuit pipe

3.)nerf bars

4.)tether swich

To be honest with you, you've got a ways to go before you've got an MX Banshee. BUT, I never said you can't race what you've got. I'd like to know whats on your 250R before I list all of the $hit you should look into for MX. I would be willing to bet your 250R is gonna be a lot nicer for MX than your Banshee unless the R needs everything replaced. A stock 250R is gonna tear a stock Banshee apart in MX. And I would consider your Shee very close to stock. If you've got a pipe and some nice tires on the R, I would race the R. I would much rather put money in an R than a Banshee for racing MX.

BTW, your motorwork doesn't mean $hit until you've got some suspension worthy of handling it.

Sorry about the list of other stuff I listed, it was something that I already had saved and just copied and pasted it. The R is an 86. It has a pipe, larger carb, k&n, .40 over, reeds, It has better mods for mx racing, but I think it needs all bearings replaced, the stock shocks are pretty much shot, the frame is in rough shape(I mean the paint (its 20 years old)), but no cracks. My biggest concern is the left case, where the case saver bolts up, the bolt holes are broken (like many), but it does not leak. I love my R and would like to race it, but I also just have the banshee setting around.

After rethinking what I have asked, I now relize that the R is the way to go (what was I thinking), I just some how got it in my head that is would be cheaper to get the banshee racing ready then it would the R, even though the R would be the wiser choice. Money is my biggest problem right now (poor college student). So now what do you all think, would the R be the wat to go, if so what mods should I focus on getting it. Or should I try to go the banshee route. I just want to RACE!

Sorry about the list of other stuff I listed, it was something that I already had saved and just copied and pasted it.  The R is an 86.  It has a pipe, larger carb, k&n, .40 over, reeds, It has better mods for mx racing, but I think it needs all bearings replaced, the stock shocks are pretty much shot, the frame is in rough shape(I mean the paint (its 20 years old)), but no cracks.  My biggest concern is the left case, where the case saver bolts up, the bolt holes are broken (like many), but it does not leak.  I love my R and would like to race it, but I also just have the banshee setting around.

After rethinking what I have asked, I now relize that the R is the way to go (what was I thinking), I just some how got it in my head that is would be cheaper to get the banshee racing ready then it would the R, even though the R would be the wiser choice.  Money is my biggest problem right now (poor college student).  So now what do you all think, would the R be the wat to go, if so what mods should I focus on getting it.  Or should I try to go the banshee route.  I just want to RACE!

472923[/snapback]

You can race the R with just a set of shocks and tires.... it'll handle almost as good as a full mx 'shee...

Mike

I MX my shee and I second the opinion on going with the 250R. Don't get me wrong, I love my shee, but if I knew then what I know now, I would have a YFZ450, period. Banshee's just beat your ass too much on the MX track and the newer 4-strokes are light years ahead of the ancient Banshee suspension.

And as you may already know, the 250R is considered by some to be the ultimate MX quad b/c of it's suspension and frame geometry.

I know that mine is far from a "full MX" banshee, but I know that I have a hell of a time hanging with YFZ's and 450R's with just basic upgrades. If they have aftermarket suspension, forget it.

I hate to sound like a sell-out. I love my Banshee, but when i bought my bike, I wasn't into MX. Now that I am I just make the best fo what I have, not everyone can afford a new bike just because of a different riding style. Plus, a Banshee gets tons of attention when you're actually holding your own on the MX track.

I hate to sound like a sell-out. I love my Banshee, but when i bought my bike, I wasn't into MX. Now that I am I just make the best fo what I have, not everyone can afford a new bike just because of a different riding style. Plus, a Banshee gets tons of attention when you're actually holding your own on the MX track.

473839[/snapback]

Word.

That's not a sellout in my book. I feel the same exact way. But I don't think I'll ever sell the 'shee. I'm just savin' the cash for a 450.

If your on a budget the R is the way to go. If you have money to spend the banshee is great to setup for mx if you do it right. The frame geometry might not be as good, but slap some aftermarket suspension on it and it can hold fairly well. The best thing about banshees is that its easy to holeshot with them. I race motocross in CNY and do fairly well with my banshee.

The main consideration you have to take is cost. The 250r has only 1 cylinder so thats 1 of everything almost that you have to deal with on the motor then the banshee so its all cheaper to repair.

im sick of every one saying get a yfz450. man for a banshee site u should do call them old and outdated enough. i going to be racing my banshee and beat yfz450s.

plus the guy asked weather or not he should fix up his 250r or mod out his banshee. and you tell him to sell them both and get a yfz. so ur not even answering his question.

im sick of every one saying get a yfz450. man for a banshee site u should do call them old and outdated enough. i going to be racing my banshee and beat yfz450s.

plus the guy asked weather or not he should fix up his 250r or mod out his banshee. and you tell him to sell them both and get a yfz.  so ur not even answering his question.

476580[/snapback]

Damn....sounds like you've got everything figured out.

I guess the pros are racing 450s because there junk then? :shootself: Dont get me wrong I love banshees ,but they just dont handle that great for MX.

478643[/snapback]

I heard they were racing the 450's because the 2 strokes were outlawed :confused:

I've also read that alot of racers would rather have there old R's than the new 450s.....