tie rod ends

iceman

sorry. i shouldve explained. when i put the balljoint into the steering knuckle it doesnt grab it. then when i try to thread the castle nut on the balljoint just spins. im thinking im not hitting it hard enough to seat it. i just dont want to break it or anything. i was hitting it pretty hard though. ill try again and see if that works.

alrighty. i got the outer one seated. i realized the tie rod is in the wrong way. i also forgot to check the length on each end. does the direction of the rod really matter? and does the length matter? they looked even but i didnt measure them. they fit and the steering works. i just cant get the steering stem joint seated. ive been hammering at it for a while and its very hard to get to. nothing pisses me off more than when i work on things that just arent working. i might try the loctite thing. thanks guys.

you could also wedge a pickle fork in their to put pressure on it but only do that if your going to throw it away, which i assume you are. Then you could hit it with an impact to just get it off. that shouldnt damage the spindle. just trash the ball joint. which is bad anyways.

im not trying to get it off lol. im trying to get them on. should i not use them if they rotate like this? also when i move the boot to the side no grease comes out. isnt grease supposed to come out? im gonna be pissed cause i spent 30 bucks on them. not much but i couldve used it better if they are bad.

alright. im thinking im just gonna get some tusk ends. i shouldve done that in the first place. ill just be out 30 bucks. i dont want to go through the trouble of returning them or anything. does that sound like a better idea than trying to make these ones work?

Edited by iceman

alright. im thinking im just gonna get some tusk ends.  i shouldve done that in the first place.  ill just be out 30 bucks.  i dont want to go through the trouble of returning them or anything.  does that sound like a better idea than trying to make these ones work?

466968[/snapback]

I use the Tusk ends and haven't had any problems with them. I'm still not understanding why it won't tighten though. Are your ball joints worn or is it your steering stem? It should tighten up no matter if your ends are shot or not. Were they loose before when you took it apart?