Reed Spacers

ive eperimneted with them in the past o n a few applications . 3/8 thick seems to offer a noticable kick in the midrange on ported engines,dont expect big powergains however .i see no point in putting them between carbs and reeds :confused:

ive eperimneted with them in the past o n a few applications . 3/8 thick seems to offer a noticable kick in the midrange on ported engines,dont expect big powergains however  .i see no point in putting them between carbs and reeds :confused:

454181[/snapback]

The theory with putting the reed spacers on the carb side of the reeds, thus spacing the manifolds back slightly, is that you increase the velocity of the intake charge, typically looking for gains in upper RPM power. This is somwhat similar theory to having a single plane intake manifold on a car. By placing the reed spacers on the cylinder side of the reeds, you extend the intake runners, looking for torque gains (similar to dual plane intake manifold theory). With all of that said, I've never had the opportunity to chuck one up on the dyno, and simply switch spacer location to see if it made any difference at all. Most believe that spacers are better for simply clearance issues. :shrugani:

To anyone that may be interested, I have done quit a bit of dyno testing on reed spacers. The engine used was a Yamaha RD 350 production road racer which is a air cooled engine (which is basically the same engine used in the Banshee, case design and ports).

When putting on the reed spacers on the cylinder side, the engine lost 1 HP on the top end (as apposed to not using the spacer).

When the reed spacer was installed on the carb side, the engine put out 3 HP more on the top end (as apposed to not using the spacer).

Thank you,

Ron

alot of theory isnt practical in application on 2 stroke engines , .if running reed spacers between the carb and the reeds actually did shit ,all the top builders/racers would be doing it already . and they dont ,yo u can ask that over at planet sand and theyll scoff at you ,cause they know what works and what doesnt :cheers:

I have never heard or saw on the dyno, "more power down low" with the reed spacers on the cylinder side either. But have seen it give a little more power on the top end "on the dyno" with the spacers on the carb side.

Here is a pic of my dyno;

Edited by RBD

I have never heard or saw on the dyno, "more power down low" with the reed spacers on the cylinder side either. But have seen it give a little more power on the top end "on the dyno" with the spacers on the carb side.

Here is a pic of my dyno;

454423[/snapback]

thats just what ive heard..i havent done all the testing like you and dont care to...