a arms w/ heims or ball joints

peterlocal22

Those are the Janssen boots, they run about 35-40 for the set. I wouldn't say they are completely water proof if they get totally submerged. They have stayed clean for me riding the dunes. My heims use to grind with grit from sand, now they remain clean and smooth operating.

over a month? for spindles? he talked to me about them last week.

I told him i would send him another spindle. We did make a mix up.

We have sold so many of those front end kits that we recieved 1 box of spindles and they where some that where 2 lefts together and 2 rights. we didnt realize till after the fact.

O and the Arms shipped in about 7-10 days.

Edited by smkmupbanshee

I would stay away from heims if your a trail rider. They wont take the elements, now with the boots you might get by but they also will give you a harsher ride and more noise compared to a ball joint. Now with A arms, I would hope all manufactures TIG weld and heat treat their chromoly that is the only way to do it. When you weld chromoly you upset the atoms, and heat treating (when done properly) relaxes them helping to stop stress cracks from forming, And NHRA/IHRA both require chromoly cages and frames to be TIG welded so there must be a reason for it. Lastly check out Herrmann racing A arms, they have heavy duty ball joints, look super strong, and a pretty cheap compared to other manufactures.

Hey guys have you ever taken a look at the off road race trucks,long travel buggys etc. They all use heims. Thats because they have more movement,stronger and can be used in a variety of uses. If you have cheap heims they will wear fast thats no lie. Its like chains. You get a cheap one its gonna let you down.Your chains,rear axle bearings and those of you who run TM Design chain guides will recieve more abuse from the roost from your front tires than the front end of the arms will any day. I have tons of call reguarding people with froze up ball joints. The are made in china and are soft as nerf. For those who say heims don't work good in sand had cheap ones. ALL sand cars are totally heim suspended even the off road trucks are using a sperical ball or heim. Helicopters are full of heims and they are running in the sand right now in the Middle East. Its like everything else. Theres good and crap. I use aircraft grade only. I can get some for 3.50 each and the are junk. I use the 20.00 each kind that last. If you don't take care of your chain how long will it last???????

Gary

QUICKSAND

As for heat treating....Its called stress relieving. This is done at the weld zones only. If you heat treat 4130 it becomes too brittle and will snap. Rolls are not heat treated as I have a bent set on the wll. Everyone wants bullet proof a arms but is your frame tabs that strong?? I've welded a bunch back on for customers. Roll doesn't have a guarantee with them. They are .065 wall and thats the only way doug makes them. Just pick the right a arms for your style of riding. I guarantee you will not bend a set of a arms made for either .095 or .120 4130. You will damage your frame.

Gary

Hey guys have you ever taken a look at the off road race trucks,long travel buggys etc. They all use heims. Thats because they have more movement,stronger and can be used in a variety of uses. If you have cheap heims they will wear fast thats no lie. Its like chains. You get a cheap one its gonna let you down.Your chains,rear axle bearings and those of you who run TM Design chain guides will recieve more abuse from the roost from your front tires than the front end of the arms will any day. I have tons of call reguarding people with froze up ball joints. The are made in china and are soft as nerf. For those who say heims don't work good in sand had cheap ones. ALL sand cars are totally heim suspended even the off road trucks are using a sperical ball or heim. Helicopters are full of heims and they are running in the sand right now in the Middle East. Its like everything else. Theres good and crap. I use aircraft grade only. I can get some for 3.50 each and the are junk. I use the 20.00 each kind that last. If you don't take care of your chain how long will it last???????

Gary

QUICKSAND

446672[/snapback]

Very true. Im sure the quality ones will last much longer. But its not all sand out here, its clay. And clay particles are much smaller than sand. Clay will wear out the heims much faster than sand will simply because it can get down in the heim. If its dry, its a fine dust (goes right through a K&N filter), and if its wet, its soupy water. Now seeing that there are boots out there has made me reconsider them, but in that case I don't want a boot thats not sealing, and just holding junk in there. Maybe filling it with grease.

All Im saying, is we all aren'tl out in the desert. :cheers:

As for heat treating....Its called stress relieving. This is done at the weld zones only. If you heat treat 4130 it becomes too brittle and will snap. Rolls are not heat treated as I have a bent set on the wll. Everyone wants bullet proof a arms but is your frame tabs that strong?? I've welded a bunch back on for customers. Roll doesn't have a guarantee with them. They  are .065 wall and thats the only way doug makes them. Just pick the right a arms for your style of riding. I guarantee you will not bend a set of a arms made for either .095 or .120 4130. You will damage your frame.

Gary

446675[/snapback]

Would have to agree with Gary on this one.

I've never had any trouble out of my heims and I'm here in alabama with clay, sand, and all kinds of moisture. Everytime I wash mine I spray wd-40 on them to displace the moisture. Seems like ball joints lock up really quick if the boots tear and you don't notice right away, just my experience but everyone is different.

Gary

QUICKSAND

446672[/snapback]

I race harescrambles once a month very close to gncc racing. The abuse my arms receive in one race is the same most rec. riders arms see in two years. I have the original heims that gary sent with the arms. Two years old. Oh and the two actuators on each of the space shuttle main engines that gimble them use heims not ball joints.

• 2 weeks later...