a arms w/ heims or ball joints

peterlocal22

whats up,

Im going to buy some new a arms but im not sure which ones to get. Ive been reading some have heims and some have ball joints? is this correct? whats the difference and which one is better for my type of rideing? I ride mostly trails with jumps? Im from new england so it gets wet some times and dry some times, both cold and warm depending on season. any help is appreciated.

anything will last as long as you take care of it. One thing to look out for when using the a-arms with the Hiems is make sure the manuf sends the spindle adapters with the a-arms. There may be a little advantage to using the heims but IMO not enough to worry about. I would stick to the well known manuf like Lonestar and Laeger for the a-arms, or if you want the best go with Roll Design. The fit and finish of the Roll Design Arms is unmatched by anyone. They are spendy but well worth the money.

444449[/snapback]

I've always wondered what makes roll so much better than other top manufactured brands? Do they increase handling, better stability? Fit and finish? They fit better than other arms and have a better appearance? Do they hold up better under certain forces where other arms are breaking? Superior materials or manufacturing process that shows an increase in performance, track times, tractibility, ease in steering, better geometry, lighter weight? Just need some elaboration as to what makes them better. Where are they different or what really sets them apart from the rest of the pack, trademark, etc...?

The heim jointed a-arms are exposed unlubricated joints. I've heard there are boots for heims, but haven't seen any, or talked to anyone that actually used them.

Ball joints have boots, they are sealed, and lubricated.

Its pretty much common sense to me.

Yes I know I over simplified it, and Im sure someone is going to correct me. But I ride where its constantly muddy (clay pits). I've seen where the mud can get. I've seen people here with heims on their arms that had so much play it was ridiculous. Sure they might not have been the best quality joints (I know one guy had lonestars), but the people that had them were pissed at the heims.

The Laeger ball jointed arms are the ones to get. Laegers uses them, the Alba pro-comp arms use them, and I believe the new I-shock arms use them (they look exactly the same).

Edited by dawarriorman

The Laeger ball jointed arms are the ones to get.  Laegers uses them, the Alba pro-comp arms use them, and I believe the new I-shock arms use them (they look exactly the same).

445411[/snapback]

dont forget sanddragon motorsports, real reasonable prices

The only problem I have with them is they are little heavy but the weight does not deter me from the other advantages.

444482[/snapback]

That's not the only problem with them. I'd say pricing is largely fubar. They want $80 each for replacement ball joints and $8 per bearing. That's $416 to rebuild an otherwise perfect set of a-arms. You can buy a good set of a-arms new for another $84. To me that's just f'n ridiculous.

That's not the only problem with them.  I'd say pricing is largely fubar.  They want $80 each for replacement ball joints and $8 per bearing.  That's $416 to rebuild an otherwise perfect set of a-arms.  You can buy a good set of a-arms new for another $84.  To me that's just f'n ridiculous.

445680[/snapback]

They use regular off the shelf Warrior balljoints for the Banshee arms. Get them from Yamaha.

And the pivot bearings they use are actually caged bearings, not the brass spacers, or plastic spacers some others use.

Too spendy for most on this board, but there is a reason.

over a month? for spindles? he talked to me about them last week.

I told him i would send him another spindle. We did make a mix up.

We have sold so many of those front end kits that we recieved 1 box of spindles and they where some that where 2 lefts together and 2 rights. we didnt realize till after the fact.

O and the Arms shipped in about 7-10 days. It would be 1 month since the auction ended on the 9th of this month.

try to get your facts straight before you post hearsay please.

The heim jointed a-arms are exposed unlubricated joints.  I've heard there are boots for heims, but haven't seen any, or talked to anyone that actually used them.

445411[/snapback]

The heim boots work excellent so far. I've had them for about a year with no problems.

PDR_0159.jpg