First Drag...

Bigvincent

I was beat but barely by a a new yfz450. I had a horrible takeoff! He got the jump and I think I started to loose traction in first so I shifted earlly, wich I guess didn't help. The race was really short IMO, maybe 70-80 yards. If it was a tad longer I could have taken him. I just have a couple question for the draggin experts. How do you get a GREAT takeoff. I tried to start with my body weight towards the rear and then slowly moving towards the center of the seat. But when I sat towards the rear, it was very awkward trying to shift. Right now I am running an '02 with t5's, Trinith stage four, and a K&N in the box w/lid, and razor 2's. I am mostly a trail rider but you always have the guys who want to race a Shee (I guess they want to prove something). What should be my next mod for best overall performance...I was thinking a NOSS head or Reeds? TIA

stock length bikes lean or sit on the gas tank and rev and pop clutch hard lol ..... i dont personally start in 2nd on my bike . but if i do i get some sick laucnhes . i just make sure i bring it up high enough .... my first gear i sit sppinin just a little

2nd i chirp , and third i am out of site =-)

IMG_0855.jpg

More power is always better or is it?It don't matter if you're making 150 hp.if you can't put it to the ground.Make sure you have a good set of tires,and you might want to experiment with different gearing.I've been beat by bike I know I was making more power than they was.just was that they could put their's to the ground.Hard lesson for me to learn,but I'm learning now. banghead

I'd say if you're not running through water in those trails I'd pull that airbox lid and bump your main jet up one size...that'll help a little for some more power and no money spent. :cheers:

The NOSS head will help give you more bottom end by raising the compression, and also will keep you running cooler. Reeds will give you crisper throttle response. I'd get the head with 20cc domes, reeds, and then advance your timing 4 degrees....then you could get a good woods port and upgrade your carbs; that would be a real nice improvement and the T5's react well with portwork :headbang:

I don't drag a whole lot when I get the chance to go out, but I found starting in 2nd helps, but then you don't have to worry about hitting neutral rather than 2nd from 1st.

With my current gearing and tires I can wind it up and dump it in 3rd, but that will change when I get my new taller paddles.

433141[/snapback]

dump it in 3rd on what?? your f4i?? if not what kinda gearing u runnin to leave in 3rd? i used to run 3rd out of the hole at hillclimbs..like 12/41 gearing..worked very well actually...

dump it in 3rd on what?? your f4i?? if not what kinda gearing u runnin to leave in 3rd? i used to run 3rd out of the hole at hillclimbs..like 12/41 gearing..worked very well actually...

433157[/snapback]

My orange bike. I swapped out the sprockets for a 13/44 and planned on running 21" haulers but never got around to it. With the 20" haulers 1st gear gets the grab bar in the sand, and 2nd gear is good, but if the sand is a bit powdery I can rap it up and dump it in 3rd and it won't fall on its face. If the sand is more coarse, I can't always get a 3rd gear start without it stalling about 10 feet after I launch.

If I can get some new 21" tires for it, I'll be able to start in 2nd like a normal person.

On the F4i...its isn't ready to start yet.... :evil:

Thansk for all the help...So if was to start in 2nd and rev it pretty high, should I dump the clutch or do I want to ease it out?

I wish I could take the air box of but there is alot of water where I ride. I work wiht the guy I raced and he has been trash talking all week. I have to get out and practice sat and figure out this machine ( I have only ridden it three times in the 3 weeks I have owned it!)

One more thing, what air preasure should I be running?

TIA