Gearing for the sand

watkins

Mods are in the sig. I am getting ready for the season and first trip will be to Glamis. Should I change out my stock gearing? I have a 13 tooth front on hand that I never installed. Any pro's and con's? Probably will be doing some minor dragging, but other than that just riding around.

In all honesty I am not familiar with the terrain at Glamis, but my $.02 based on riding at the Oregon dunes. I would swap for the 13 tooth in a heartbeat (I did). You'll come out of the hole much faster. You do sacrifice some top end MPH of course. Are you dragging through all six gears? If so you may end up with some bikes coming around you on the top. The places I usually drag, we only run through 4th or so, so the advantage of the lower gearing gives me a big one-up. You'll notice how much quicker you'll get to the powerband, made my bike much more enjoyable. :cheers:

i would stay with the 14 tooth... i ride glamis and gordenswell 99% of the time (gordenswell is south of glamis like 20 miles its the same dunes just the south end and the dunes are a bit taller and more technical) i ran a 13/41 set up out there and yes you get a bit more low end but for the time it takes to change it over it realy isnt worth it.. i would say the 14/41 is the best gearing to run out there..the most critical thing you will want for glamis is tires..tires make all the difference.get some hauler type tires even the v hauler .. i run the sand geco and yeah they work but still have the slip and spinn factor. my buddy has the v hauler and he has to work alot harder to get them to slip or turn but the difference is amazing in traction...so dont change the gearing change tires first..

I rode this weekend with the stock sprockets on my '06. Nice speed. I waqs finally able to use all my gears. Little more shifting but hauled through the big bowls.

My '02 has the dropped tooth. Little more out of the hole. Make 1st gear unusable while riding and forget about 6th.

I like both for different reasons. Try it. It's an easy switch.

I rode this weekend with the stock sprockets on my '06.  Nice speed. I waqs finally able to use all my gears.  Little more shifting but hauled through the big bowls.

My '02 has the dropped tooth.  Little more out of the hole.  Make 1st gear unusable while riding and forget about 6th.

I like both for different reasons.  Try it.  It's an easy switch.

424403[/snapback]

Done. Put it on a few min ago. Had to adjust the chain a bunch.... stupid question... how do you make sure the axel is straight after adjusting the chain.. im looking at the rear sprocket and the chain appears to go straight to the front sprocket.. but I dont just like eyeing it.

I forot about the stock swingarm setups.  Damn those suck!

I think the way to make it even is by the 2 adjusting bolts below the carrier.  They bolt in/out.  If they are evenly screwed, it should be straight.

424408[/snapback]

And freeplay should be 0.6 inches? Thats what the clymers says... but I know mine right now is like 1.5 inches and that seems tight

To make sure your axel is strait there are 5 or 6 marks on the bottom adjusters. Make sure you have the axel adjusted to the same marks on both sides. My 87 has a 13-42 set up, and my 99 has a 14-41 set up. For sand I like the 13 tooth sprocket. IMO, I wouldn't worry about losing 3 or 4 mph by going to a 13 tooth sprocket. How often do you ride at top speed in the dirt or sand anyway?

To make sure your axel is strait there are 5 or 6 marks on the bottom adjusters. Make sure you have the axel adjusted to the same marks on both sides. My 87 has a 13-42 set up, and my 99 has a 14-41 set up. For sand I like the 13 tooth sprocket. IMO, I wouldn't worry about losing 3 or 4 mph by going to a 13 tooth sprocket. How often do you ride at top speed in the dirt or sand anyway?

424431[/snapback]

I will have to try it out. Ill make sure I bring my stock sprocket along for the ride just in case I change my mind. I have been reading alot of negative feedback about dropping a tooth.

Ok.. here may be a stupid question.....

When I put the chain back on the bike I had some trouble getting the c-clip back on the master link. I finally the clip on and it seems to hold the link in place, just the c-clip has a little free play in it. it wiggles up/down (but not left/right)... should I be concerned? Just do not want my chain flying off while riding and injuring me or my goat.