Got a sick banshee!

I just got back from a trip to tomahawk flooding and it was interesting! It will run all day from first through fourth gear but as soon as you hit the powerband hard in fifth or sixth it will last for thirty seconds and feel like its running on one. id pull over for ten seconds and restart it and its fine again. I repeated this for the entire day. I only have a boost bottle and the rubber snorkel removed from the airbox lid for any mods. Sorry for the bad explanation. I didnt mean completely pinned i meant that id hit the power band and then go back down to an RPM suitable for a good crusing speed down the road. Thats when it would only last for thirt seconds. I didnt rejet because i had a few members say that the factory jets them rich anyways and that it would not hurt it at all!

Edited by sampleba

I just got back from a trip to tomahawk  flooding and it was interesting!  It will run all day from first through fourth gear but as soon as you hit the powerband hard in fifth or sixth it will last for thirty seconds and feel like its running on one. id pull over for ten seconds and restart it and its fine again. I repeated this for the entire day. I only have a boost bottle and the rubber snorkel removed from the airbox lid for any mods.

395017[/snapback]

So your saying you had it pinned in 6th for 30 seconds? That will seize your pistons if you do that alot. I never hold mine WOT for over 6 seconds. Did you rejet when you took your snorkel off?

... as soon as you hit the powerband hard in fifth or sixth it will last for thirty seconds and feel like its running on one.

What lasts for thirty seconds? <_< And is the throttle pinned? ... Need a better explanation :confused: .

Spark plugs tell you anything?

Rare.

sounds to me like it's running very lean, or your fuel filter is plugged, etc... because it seems your carburetor bowl is running dry with all thw WOT running, which shoulden't be done in the first place...your banshee should never run the bowls dry, after you let it sit for a few seconds the bowls fill up and it's good to go for a few more minutes...check your fiel petcock, remove the tank, tip it upside-down, and remove the on/off valbve on the bottom of your tank, the screens might be dirty...make sure the filter flows good too...good luck

~Mark~

What lasts for thirty seconds?  <_<  And is the throttle pinned? ...  Need a better explanation :confused: .

Spark plugs tell you anything?

Rare.

395135[/snapback]

The plugs come to a dry golden brown color.

So your saying you had it pinned in 6th for 30 seconds? That will seize your pistons if you do that alot. I never hold mine WOT for over 6 seconds. Did you rejet when you took your snorkel off?

395089[/snapback]

If you are jetted properly it shouldn't be a problem.

I agree with fast87 about it running out of fuel. You could also have an electrical problem such at the coil or stator heating up. :shrugani: good luck ... and let us know what you find.

Edited by fixitrod

Sorry for the bad explanation. I didnt mean completely pinned i meant that id hit the power band and then go back down to an RPM suitable for a good crusing speed down the road. Thats when it would only last for thirt seconds. I didnt rejet because i had a few members say that the factory jets them rich anyways and that it would not hurt it at all!

I see you've edited your first post. ... Better to start on a new line with "EDIT: ..." or explain in a fresh post.

Anyway, so it's not a WOT (mains) problem. If you're backing off the throttle for your cruising speed, then it's more likely a jet needle issue (1/4 - 3/4 throttle). ... Try moving the needle to a richer setting - moving the clip down from 3rd from blunt to 4th from blunt.

It does sound like fuel starvation as others have said. ... You could check your float levels.

The factory doesn't jet for removal of the snorkel, so it might be wise to go up one or two sizes on your mains.

Rare.

395089[/snapback]

Only 6 seconds, looks like you better no do much flat track racing. If jetted right you can run the crap out of a banshee.Wind her up and let er go!

Only 6 seconds, looks like you better no do much flat track racing. If jetted right you can run the crap out of a banshee.Wind her up and let er go!

395538[/snapback]

None at all, but thats not going to do the motor any good running it at real high rpm's for thirty seconds. Your right thou...if your carbs are properly tuned your shee will hold up for a long time, but how often you clean your airfilter and how your ride you shee will also be a factor on how long your engine will last IMO.

Sorry for the bad explanation. I didnt mean completely pinned i meant that id hit the power band and then go back down to an RPM suitable for a good crusing speed down the road. Thats when it would only last for thirt seconds. I didnt rejet because i had a few members say that the factory jets them rich anyways and that it would not hurt it at all!

I see you've edited your first post. ... Better to start on a new line with "EDIT: ..." or explain in a fresh post.

Anyway, so it's not a WOT (mains) problem. If you're backing off the throttle for your cruising speed, then it's more likely a jet needle issue (1/4 - 3/4 throttle). ... Try moving the needle to a richer setting - moving the clip down from 3rd from blunt to 4th from blunt.

It does sound like fuel starvation as others have said. ... You could check your float levels.

The factory doesn't jet for removal of the snorkel, so it might be wise to go up one or two sizes on your mains.

Rare.

395360[/snapback]

Thats kinda what i thought when i would stop shut it off and then in a minute or less it would start right back up and be fine. Do you think that if i get a k an n filter lid for the air box of course that will come with the correct jetting that this will resolve my problems. Before i do this ill try your idea with moving the clip from the third to fourth. Thanks alot :)