Cr500 swap?

before you attempt this you need to sitb ack and see what kind of fabrication skills you have. do you have a welder? can you weld? do you have a torch and or plasma cutter and can you use them? you will have to have these things in order to make this swap. you also need to have a pretty good understanding of how important it is to make sure the sprockets line up. if they are off youll throw chains all the time. then youll have to be able to build a pipe. its not a real easy job to do that. you will also have to have somethng made for the kick starter because if you sit the engine in there the correct way, the stock kicker wont work. there is quite a bit more than you probably realize going into this swap. id make sure you are up for the task before you start. youll def need to have a lot of patience as well...

how much faster is a cr 500 banshee compared to a stock one? arent they only a single cylinder?

385915[/snapback]

back when my cr500 motor was stock i could put a beatin on my bros gorr ported banshee. and that fucker was fast. yes they are a 500cc big bore single. tons of torque, but they lack on top end.

ya loco

i wondered that too

how much more power or what kind of power does the cr gain over the banshee motor?

385921[/snapback]

tons of bottom end and midrane, lacking top end tho without porting. stock cr500 engine is right around 50 hp if im not mistaken. its kinda like riding a 4 stroke on steroids. the power is everywhere. i have never gotten a good dyno run with my cr500 engine since i had the motor work done but at 3800 rpm it was making 60 hp when the dyno quit reading. they rev to about 8000rpm i think...

Id imagine shit load of bottom with top end power that will do maybe even more then hold its own to a piped banshee

385924[/snapback]

just a plain old piped banshee wouldnt stand a chance against mine...it will run every bit with a 4mm drag ported until they hit 5th gear, the 500 runs out of topend.

you guys need to watch my hillclimb videos in the video section and see what its like. i used to have some drag videos of it floatin around somewhere...

Why not put a zilla engine in it, doesn't the 87 model have  powervalves? :cheers:

385979[/snapback]

those motors are junk. it takes quite a bit to keep them together from what ive heard from people who have them. i hear they blow head gaskets like crazy...

There is a guy at the local track runs a cr500 or kx500 on a extended blaster frame, I have the usual banshee mods: pipes, pods, +4, 21cc domes, cool head...The dirt drags are 240ft, He kicks everbody's ass. I haven't seen anybody been him yet. Motor is pretty much stock with pipes.

There is a guy at the local track runs a cr500 or kx500 on a extended blaster frame,  I have the usual banshee mods: pipes, pods, +4, 21cc domes, cool head...The dirt drags are 240ft, He kicks everbody's ass.  I haven't seen anybody been him yet. Motor is pretty much stock with pipes.

385983[/snapback]

i believe it...

i belive that my kx500 ported and piped, 40 mm carb is pushing between 70 and 75 hp i know that a banshee with a 7 mil hot dune port is pretty even. power to weight ratio is what that is all about though. my kx weighs 215 lbs. theres alll the power you'll ever need through out the rpm range pullin wheelies in fourth just rollin on the throtle going up sand moutain. :bolt: i'm gonna bore it to a 520 after i get my shee back up. :D

Edited by fast500#12

i dont see a 500 making 75 hp without the aid of alcohol even a nicely ported one wont hit 9 grand .a drag ported she with shearers can pull at 11,500 rpms .the great thing about 500's they have torque.... and we all know torque wins races .horsepower just sells motors. depends on terrain,distance ,and rider ability :bolt:

i dont see a  500 making 75 hp without the aid of alcohol even a nicely  ported one wont hit 9 grand .a drag ported she with shearers can pull at 11,500 rpms .the great thing about  500's they  have torque.... and we all know torque wins races .horsepower  just  sells motors. depends on terrain,distance  ,and rider ability  :bolt:

386068[/snapback]

NO WAY a 500 just ported makin 70 to 75 hp. the hp numbers on these motors doesnt mean shit anyway, its the torque number you are looking for..

I ran a piped 98 CR500 for a couple of years. I think the main reason they discontinued the bike is that they weren't much faster than the PV'd 250s. I run a YZ 250 now and it would pretty much have run with my CR500 (and is WAY faster than my old YZ 490). The 500 with porting would be a whole 'nother story- If it was set with a good woods type port, it would retain some bottom and actually flow on top. Something to keep in mind anytime a CR500 swap is considered is the massive vibration of these motors. I can't remember the fix, but I heard a lot about in in the days when the 250R was king and everyone was doing this swap.