Timing Advance

ok so if i have these mod's done what is a good advance i should do on the timing?

My bike is a 2000, it has a long rod crank in it it has .80 over piston's, racing piston's high compression head, high flow water pump, 13 tooth primary sprocket, no air box's and t-5 pipes, and it's been ported and polished

when you advance the timing does it just increase throttle responce? or anything else?

Does advancing the timing give more bottom end or more top end?  Or does it give more of both? :headbang:

375108[/snapback]

Both.

Ive got 2 questions, does advancing the timing wear the top end out faster? do you have to run higher grade of gas?

375274[/snapback]

Not really. If you combine higher compression along with timing, then...yes.

+4 alone will not cause you to need anything other than premium gas.

If you start going above +4 and/or much higher compression (say 20cc domes or smaller at sea level, ) then you're gonna start needing more octane.

Compression has more to do with the need for race gas than timing does.

I have a question in this topic

if you get a ricky stator plate

do you HAVE to lighten your flywheel?

or is it just a good idea to while you got it off?

375069[/snapback]

If you trail ride your shee...this mod is almost an absolute must.

I had a bit of a hard time keeping my shee on the pipe in TIGHT trails before.

With the +4 and Boonman flywheel, it's night and day difference. I've impressed quite a few of my 450R buddies with how easier it is to ride...

got a question as well. Ricky stator wasnt to thorough in the instructions.

For the timing plate, where are you supposed to line up the number? It says where the case splits, but do they mean the actual split line?

Or do they mean where the case lip is? It's hard to explain but if you look in there theres a little lip from the top case. If you line it up with the top edge of that, your looking at like +8, if the +4 is at the actual case split.

Didnt know which it actually was, I lined it up at +4 where the case actually splits (kinda hard to see where it is actually, thats why I was wondering so much)

Yep...where the case split line is.

Clean her off good...and you can see where the top and bottom half meet.

I called, since I was too stupid to read the piece of paper very carefully...I skimmed that part.

I also used Whiteout on my split line for easier reference.