Fox AirSHOX

hey i was lookin on ebay and saw the new shocks called Fox AirSHOX...theyre fully adjustable, no spring, just held up by air pressure...i noticed they didnt make them for the banshee, but was curious if anyone has ever seen them, heard bout them or tried them.

i saw them on ebay about 2 weeks ago. i though they were kinda strange and had no idea why they didnt have them for the shee. the kinda looked like those marvin shaw drag shocks, if anyone gets em do a ride report on em cause i woudletn mind findin out how they work, maybe there the shock of the future :unsure:

they would proably be great as a drag (keep the psi semi high so they extend fast and compress slow transfering weight)or free style (big air hard hits)shock .But I would think that they would get really stiff and expaned from heat caused by friction rasing the ride height and screwing up the front end alinment from the heat if you were to make a long ride on them. There has been high end desert racing trucks use air shocks and they used the eng coolant to keep the shocks at a constant temp to be able to dial them in. As you can tell Im taking this off the aspects of a 7,000 lbs truck racing 250-1000 miles of ruff ass desert running this type of shock.

They are called Fox "Float" (Fox Load Optimizing Air Technology) shocks, they do produce a front set for the Banshee, and I believe they are available now, and yes they are pricey. I have not ridden a set but will very soonjust to satisfy my own curiosity. Based on my experience with air bag type shocks (King builds some that FUNCO the sand rail company uses on their cars) they are good for general riding, but when you really start to push them, the rate vs ride quality goes out the window and they can not handle any seroius abuse. For a recreational rider with deep pokcets they may be alright, but I doubt we'll be seeing them on any pro level quads. Anyone follow SCORE or CORR desert / short course racing series? see any air bag type shocks on those trucks or buggies??? NO............

I'll stick to good old coil springs and revalvable shocks, but then again I'm a little biased.

Edited by DUNEDEMON

dunedemon there is one truck that has run a air type of shock in SCORE or BITD( TT toyota big time money and alot of R&D im sure to get them to work but way to many possible problems for my taste)) and I belive they were outtlawed in corr. I`m thinking one of the nissian trucks about 5 years ago or so.

but after looking at the page on FOX they sound more like a Air bumpstop more than a "shock".

They are a great all around shock. I have a set of prototypes that I got from Fox last year. They are very similair to the current production Fox Floats that just came out. There isn't much maintenance on them and you can adjust them for whatever you are doing since there isn't a mechanical spring. I always charge mine with Nitrogen, not oxygen. Oxygen is corrosive and may be the reason peoples seal fail. At any rate for jumping and drag racing there really isn't a better shock out there.

:cheers:

They are called Fox "Float" (Fox Load Optimizing Air Technology) shocks, they do produce a front set for the Banshee, and I believe they are available now, and yes they are pricey. I have not ridden a set but will very soonjust to satisfy my own curiosity. Based on my experience with air bag type shocks (King builds some that FUNCO the sand rail company uses on their cars) they are good for general riding, but when you really start to push them, the rate vs ride quality goes out the window and they can not handle any seroius abuse. For a recreational rider with deep pokcets they may be alright, but I doubt we'll be seeing them on any pro level quads. Anyone follow SCORE or CORR desert / short course racing series? see any air bag type shocks on those trucks or buggies??? NO............

I'll stick to good old coil springs and revalvable shocks, but then again I'm a little biased.

I take you don't really look at the trucks and buggies if you follow SCORE Racing. Most of the buggies run atleast one Nitrogen sprung shock at a corner. Most of the time this is in conjuction with a mechanical spring shock absorber. I have many, many pictures of multiple different SCORE and CORR cars and trucks set up this way. If you'd like to see them I'd be more than happy to toss up a few.

:dance:

I take you don't really look at the trucks and buggies if you follow SCORE Racing. Most of the buggies run atleast one Nitrogen sprung shock at a corner. Most of the time this is in conjuction with a mechanical spring shock absorber. I have many, many pictures of multiple different SCORE and CORR cars and trucks set up this way. If you'd like to see them I'd be more than happy to toss up a few.

As a matter of fact I am very familiar with those vehicles (I do consulting for a SCORE 7 team). And if your read my post you will notice I said

air bag type shocks
not a nitrogen sprung shock. It is common knowledege that nitrogen is used to charge the shock, not spring it. In emulsion dampers the nitrogen is used to maintain pressure on the piston, and to prevent foaming. If you have some pictures of different SCORE and CORR cars and trucks set up with AIR BAG's I'd love to see them...

I don't know about air shocks for a quad, but they seemed to get all the bugs worked out with mountain bikes.

Air shocks by nature need great sealing to prevent any leaks. Unfortunately with seals that tight come quite a bit of stiction. To alleviate some of the stiction, they put in negative springs. Some were an actual mechanical spring that kept the shock slightly sagged into it's travel and others used a negative air chamber that did the same thing. They were actually pretty good for setting ride height, but to me they were just shining a turd. Are these Fox shocks air or oil damped?

Mountain bike manufacturers have been trying to one up the oil damped coil sprung shock for years. If you look at a pro downhill bike, which has some ofthe most advanced and sometimes overly complicated suspension you will ever see, they still use oil damped coil overs.

I would be interested to see if Fox has cured all the little quirks that air shocks inherently have.

broke

Well, I think the fox airshock is pretty interesting. But using regular air will build up heat and when heat builds up, the air will expand increasing the pressure which will throw everything off. Nitrogen won't solve that problem. Nitrogen is used because it's an inert gas, it won't catch fire nor will it hold moisture. It will expand and contract with changes in temp. Now if there was someway to regulate the temp then the shock would be something...As of right now I don't see it as being able to withstand a day of moto-x. Still interesting technology none-the-less.