Banshee vs TRX 450R

LIsurfer_

It has a lot to do with rider, more than it is machine.

A Honda with the HRC kit puts out around 45 ponies, maybe a couple more with a full exhaust and some intake mods, but the torque is amazing. The YFZ can get to 50 a tad easier, but a little less torque. The Banshee, as we all know, can push the 50 hp mark pretty easy but usually requires portwork to do it. Most people that are buying the 450r arent' doing it to drag and take down Banshees, they're doing to be more trail friendly and competitive in the racing scene, which they are.

Now, I have taken down some Banshee's and YFZ's with my 450r, but, I've also been taken down by some Banshees. Sometimes, the same Banshee that'd beat me, I'd take down later, or vice versa.

Rider input has A LOT to do with it. Oh, and Raptors are a joke stock and mildly modded. I just recently got my arse slightly handed to me on a local track. My machine has 10 G's into it and the machine that gave it to me was bone stock with a perpetual overheating problem. He is just a young, crazy, don't give a f*ck, go-get-em rider and I'm an old slow ass I guess.

This dyno sheet is an HRC cam, full exhaust (Pulse Charger), air intake setup, and head porting (which is not near as drastic as porting 2 strokes).

post-327-1111949400.jpg

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice find...

I'll agree...most of it is rider input. We all agree...our bikes are pretty close. Although...my friend that usually beats me on his stocker (the drag racer) got his a$$ handed to him two out of two times earlier this week...:)

Same rider on my buddies modded 450 got me good, twice...although the owner of the modded 450 can't beat me.

Throw all that away when it comes to trails and track. 450 hands down...much more easy to use power and handling...

After dragging my shee dozens of times against 'em, it's scary how easy those 450's wheelie effortlessly...where mine just hits the pipes and spins or rockets you.

I do give them both credit for getting 'em out of the hole...they're a handful with the shorter wheelbase, that's for sure!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Me and some friends of mine were coming out of the south camp grounds at LS in march and a 450r rider flagged my friend down whom also had a Shee. They talked for a while and I seen them line up. I noticed there was to much slack in my chain than what I liked and my Tires which were Sand Skate 2's weren't hooking up on the drags so I figured I would sit it out on this race. If Some of you were down there around the 23th-25th you probably seen my Shee fall in the drags on the flats. In my siganture are the mods I have right now, so my motor isnt built internaly yet. When the friend of mine lined up with the 450r rider the 450r rider yells over to me and points to the line. I knew that my shee needed attention on the chain slack but it turned out to be even more than that.I didnt realize that my shees whole back end was loosening up.The sand was so rough that all I noticed was the slacking of my chain . I was planning on giving my shee a going over when we got back to the north camp ground but I went ahead and lined up on the other side of the 450r. A friend of the 450r rider flagged us off from a 100 yard shot. We all pegged our machines and let the r's go. My shee spun 2nd thru part of 3rd before it started to barely hook up. The friend of mine on the shee running haulers and the 450r rider was about 50 yards ahead of me. You can only guess the bike lenghts I was down by....LOL. My shee went from an embarrassing amount of losing distance to losing by 1 1/2 bike lenghts at the finish. My friend running the haulers beat him by at least 4 bike lenghts and his motor isnt built at all ....just pipes and jets. When we got back to the north camp ground and I checked the back end and seen my chain adjuster were laying flat and my chain had about 3 inches of freakin slack. My top bolt to my axle carrier had lost a nut and washer off the end and was moving around and hitting my rear sprocket. The hex head of the bolt was rounded completely. :o My bottom bolt to the carrier had the nut still on , but it was finger loose and the nuts that hold my rear hubs on were barely loose,...( Thank God for Cotter keys...Whew). If I knew that it was more than chain slack, I wouldn't have run that drag with the 450r or the flat drags. I was up at LS that weekend when the YFZ450 rider lost a swingarm bolt and got tangled up in his bike. Everything is ok with my shee and I am getting a set of hauler for the next trip.....and will be looking for that same rider if I can find him.....LOL. He might be bragging , but he didnt seen my shee close the gap either. It was a scary deal when I saw the backend of my shee all loosened up that day....but I'm proud of the way it closed that gap. Sorry for such a long story....had to get it off my chest and share. Next Time!! :headbang:

• 2 weeks later...
You know what kind of mods he had??

367575[/snapback]

It was a quick line up and race deal. To me I guess he would have only had pipes, jets and K&N by the way he launched and hooked up. I feel I lost alot of take off through the Sand Skate 2's and since my chain was slacked pretty good I lost alot of take off power. He had to have those mods that I mentioned above cause he was like ...by me on the line and gone. I can tell you this though..My motor isn't built yet and my shee reeled his ass in pretty darn fast. :headbang::headbang: I never had bolts and chain lossen like that and it has caused me to pay more attention to detail thats for sure. Edited by Klotzban1

• 6 years later...

i wish you lived in louisiana

then we could run'em :cheers:

im with u if he lived where i did id put money on it haha and a banshee i dont even need put money in to a banshee to make them mean port them mill the head bore the carb like a mm if u can adv the timing and ill run with a 450r any day my banshe witch is stock stroke and like1.75mm over bore with port work pipes carbs adv timing cool head and i can give a 450r 20yrds in 500ft race and ill pass him with a 15 or 20yrds in front of him haha

• 3 weeks later...

I own both bikes and both being well built on race fuel and ported. It is all in the RIDER cause I upset banshee owners all day beating them with my 450 with way less hp. Its all how u shift bikes everyones different. But when I'm on my banshee I give the same 450s n banshee 6 bike length leave n ride around them! Miss a gear Or miss a shift u will loose every race plain n simple. Its the rider not the bike.

I own both bikes and both being well built on race fuel and ported. It is all in the RIDER cause I upset banshee owners all day beating them with my 450 with way less hp. Its all how u shift bikes everyones different. But when I'm on my banshee I give the same 450s n banshee 6 bike length leave n ride around them! Miss a gear Or miss a shift u will loose every race plain n simple. Its the rider not the bike.

X2.

Rider, Launch, Weight, Gearing...those four things have ALOT to do with a race IMO.

• 1 month later...